Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#2165160 - 03/21/07 04:06 PM KII campaign mission problem ?  
John P Offline
John P  Offline

MN, USA
Giving this another go, as I really like it.

Problem with the fourth mission I'm on though, tasked to "Attack the SIGINT site on Rybachiy Island". Mission file name is ksp1stg1h.cmf

Problem is, no matter what I do, I can't get a mission success with this mission !?!? You name it, I've tried it. Tactics-wise, ordinance-wise, whatever-wise you can think of \:\)

Problem isn't surviving it, that is easy enough. But even when I myself have destroyed all three targets (which isn't even needed for mission success ala the briefing), I still get mission failed.

I've tried jsows, dumb bombs, lgbs, etc. No luck.

What is really strange, is that if I try this mission as a standalone single mission, outside of the campaign, I get a mission success every time, using the exact same methods as in the campaign !

Is there a known bug with this mission, or any other ideas ?

Last edited by John P; 03/21/07 04:12 PM.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2165486 - 03/21/07 10:07 PM Re: KII campaign mission problem ? [Re: John P]  
Ripcord Offline
Ripcord  Offline

Houston, Texas
I'll make a note to have a look at this one -- first I've heard of it. Good find.

EDIT: hold on, just saw your last sentence. So this mission works fine in single player? And doesn't work in campaign mode? Well, I will probably not be able to locate that bug. Sorry. But you know, keep flying through the campaign and let us know if that same problem arises with other missions.

Ripcord

Last edited by Ripcord; 03/21/07 10:11 PM.

USN/USMC -- when it positively, absolutely has to be blown up overnight.
#2165686 - 03/22/07 03:17 AM Re: KII campaign mission problem ? [Re: Ripcord]  
John P Offline
John P  Offline

MN, USA
Originally Posted By: Ripcord
I'll make a note to have a look at this one -- first I've heard of it. Good find.

EDIT: hold on, just saw your last sentence. So this mission works fine in single player? And doesn't work in campaign mode? Well, I will probably not be able to locate that bug. Sorry. But you know, keep flying through the campaign and let us know if that same problem arises with other missions.

Ripcord

Will do. Fwiw, some more info.; did some more "tests" of this mission, and noted the following. Ordinance was mostly a pair of 29's, but the same results were with other types too.

- in single mission mode, I watched the weapon pair impact the main building and appear to destroy it. Debriefing stated mission success, and a quonset hut was listed destroyed under the ground attack results, with two bomb hits, two kills.

- in campaign mode, using the exact same methods, etc., I watched the same results; main building appeared destroyed. However, in the debriefing, I still received mission failure, and there was no listing for the destroyed quonset hut. Even though I saw it destroyed, in the exact same fashion as in the single mission mode. In fact, no target of any kind was listed as destroyed by the bombs, but both bombs were still listed as having had 100% impact, with two kills !?

Just to make sure my wingman wasn't entering into things, as sometimes he gets waxed, I sent him home immediatly after take-off.

Very strange stuff.

Last edited by John P; 03/22/07 03:18 AM.
#2165843 - 03/22/07 10:36 AM Re: KII campaign mission problem ? [Re: John P]  
Ripcord Offline
Ripcord  Offline

Houston, Texas
That campaign is become infamous for very wierd stuff going on... BigDaddy's 323 squadron tried to play through it in multiplayer, and they could only get 7 missions into it, not more, regardless of outcomes, etc. I really have no good theories for either of these phenomena.

Ripcord

#2166126 - 03/22/07 04:37 PM Re: KII campaign mission problem ? [Re: Ripcord]  
Dagman Offline
Dagman  Offline

Missouri
Originally Posted By: Ripcord
That campaign is become infamous for very wierd stuff going on... BigDaddy's 323 squadron tried to play through it in multiplayer, and they could only get 7 missions into it, not more, regardless of outcomes, etc. I really have no good theories for either of these phenomena.

Ripcord

Holy Coincidence, Batman !!!

We've been flying the OPF Grand campaign in MP and had this exact problem. After we completed the seventh mission, I (as host) kept getting an error messege that said "Error loading mission file" (or something to that effect).

I guess what we'll do is try it again and see if this is a recurring problem.

#2166156 - 03/22/07 05:23 PM Re: KII campaign mission problem ? [Re: Dagman]  
Joe Offline
Veteran
Joe  Offline
Veteran

Bridgewater, NJ
"Error Loading Mission File" generally means there is simply something wrong with a specific mission. This error normally also appears when you fly the same mission as a single mission.

The KII error that VMFA-323 got (I was flying it with them at the time) was something else. IIRC it was an error that popped up when we loaded the mission online in the campaign, but not when we tried it as a single mission. The error also occurred offline for the host when he tried to fly it as a campaign.

#2166168 - 03/22/07 05:47 PM Re: KII campaign mission problem ? [Re: John P]  
graves_09 Offline
graves_09  Offline

Minnesota, USA
hey all
i had the exact same problem a few months ago and posted something then with no reponse. i also tried playing as a single mission and it worked fine but i didn't work in campaign mode. i think i just ended up starting over. the problem to me seemed like the the game thought the target was previously destored. therefor whatever you dropped on the target would be impacting a previoiusly destroyed target and you wouldn't get any credit for killing it. either there is a problem with the file(s) that keep track of damage in the campaign or in an eariler mission either you or an AI pilot attacked that target. i was pretty sure it wasn't me and i am not sure if AI damage is carried on. Either way, i do't have any answers to the KII problem. wish i could help.

#2166213 - 03/22/07 06:22 PM Re: KII campaign mission problem ? [Re: graves_09]  
Joe Offline
Veteran
Joe  Offline
Veteran

Bridgewater, NJ
Sorry your other thread went unanswered, graves_09; I've bumped it.

Let me say something regarding KII. One the one hand it is a very good and ground-breaking campaign. On the other hand, it can do some Bad Things to JF-18. The reason is is that KII contains some modified files that change the JF-18 database structure, including FRADDB.DAT, FVEHIDB.DAT and FWEAPDB.DAT. For all the work JP put into writing KII, he did IMO a poor job of conveying just what was included in his installation package and how the installation of his files would affect JF-18. There is no other campaign out there that modifies database files.

There is, however, another mod out there that modifies database files. That mod is TSHv3, which provides slightly modified database files in order to make some of its changes. If you install TSHv3 after KII, it can overwrite some of those files, and vice versa. Basically, the two do not play nice together. In addition, TSHv4 is under development, using massive database edits.

It may be possible to reconcile some of these differences, but I don't think JP every documented the database changes he made for KII. IMO KII oversteps the bounds of what a JF-18 campaign should do to an install, and thus I would be cautious of using it. At the very least JP should have provided adequate documentation of the effects his installation could have on other aspects of JF-18.

#2166837 - 03/23/07 10:26 AM Re: KII campaign mission problem ? [Re: Joe]  
Ripcord Offline
Ripcord  Offline

Houston, Texas
Joe, good point. Data edits are not the purview of campaign builders.

However, I think graves provided a semi-plausible answer to the question in this case -- it could be that the object was bombed in a previous mission. Damage is tracked regardless of who does it (AI or human), if I am not mistaken. Because in JohnP's case the target is right there on Rybachiy Island, and not way deep inland, it would have been an easy target to hit on any ingress or egress... an 'attack targets of opportunity' command issued at any given time could easily have prompted another flight member roll onto this sigint site. Also could have been hit by cruise missiles during one of those first several SEAD missions.

By the way, there is no way to build a mission or campaign so that it checks the status of a previously destroyed object. If it wasn't destroyed in THAT SAME mission, then it will trigger no flags during the mission, nor will it show up in the outcome. I've tried this, no joy.

Good thinking here guys. I think one or both of these reasons explains the problem.

John, all you can do is just move on.

Ripcord

#2167244 - 03/23/07 05:59 PM Re: KII campaign mission problem ? [Re: Ripcord]  
John P Offline
John P  Offline

MN, USA
Agreed; some good info. here, thanks guys.

Regarding "it may have been destroyed earlier" that indeed would be a very plausible answer to the problem.
However, in viewing the target while my bombs are on their way, at least graphically, it is intact.

Is it possible for something to be graphically intact, and yet actually destroyed ? Anyone run into that before ?

#2167349 - 03/23/07 08:14 PM Re: KII campaign mission problem ? [Re: John P]  
graves_09 Offline
graves_09  Offline

Minnesota, USA
when you say viewing your target do you mean with the flir or an external view. i found it hard to tell if it was destroyed or not because it is a night time mission. for me the biggest tell was flying the mission with the target labels on. when i flew the single mission the target labels appreared until i destroyed the target. the target labels never appreared when i flew the mission as part of the campaign. i also changed the campaign file and few it as a day time mission and it looked like a destroyed target and not an intact target before i released. part of the problem of telling the difference is that there seems to be little difference between the destroyed and intact target. you may also be right. there could be another glitch if it is actually intact, but those were my experiences.

#2167462 - 03/23/07 10:20 PM Re: KII campaign mission problem ? [Re: graves_09]  
John P Offline
John P  Offline

MN, USA
Originally Posted By: graves_09
when you say viewing your target do you mean with the flir or an external view. i found it hard to tell if it was destroyed or not because it is a night time mission. for me the biggest tell was flying the mission with the target labels on. when i flew the single mission the target labels appreared until i destroyed the target. the target labels never appreared when i flew the mission as part of the campaign. i also changed the campaign file and few it as a day time mission and it looked like a destroyed target and not an intact target before i released. part of the problem of telling the difference is that there seems to be little difference between the destroyed and intact target. you may also be right. there could be another glitch if it is actually intact, but those were my experiences.

I was meaning via the external view, of the target (quonset hut in this case) itself.

Good info. regarding the labels; definately sounds like something is fubared with this mission.

Ripcord has the right idea it would seem; chalk it up, and move on.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.