Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
#2148227 - 02/28/07 10:27 AM Re: Retro's EECHCommserver ***** [Re: Fufunka]  
Retro Offline
Retro  Offline

Austria
I'm still around and have a bad conscience about letting this slide.. I'll promise to get back to at least the avionics state shared mem stuff. For MFD video export mue's approach might be more promising.

Mr. Zorg: If ya want something done...do it yourself!!
#2149327 - 03/01/07 09:31 PM Re: Retro's EECHCommserver [Re: Retro]  
GlynD Offline
GlynD  Offline

Shropshire UK
No worries Retro - you've been doing a damm good job!

OK I've subscribed to the EECH-dev mailing list, requested 123-145 and got an email with a load of .ezm files attached, eh what on earth are those??*! How on earth do I get the patch to try this multi-monitor system please? Sorry if I'm being dense...

_mue can you send it to me please?

#2149535 - 03/02/07 05:24 AM Re: Retro's EECHCommserver [Re: GlynD]  
GrizzlyT Offline
GrizzlyT  Offline

Sterling Heights, Michigan
Originally Posted By: GlynD
No worries Retro - you've been doing a damm good job!

Retro - I totally agree with GlynD....You are doing a damn fine job. So fine in fact, that we are all obviously chomping at the bit, to get a hold of this shared memory app. \:\)

I'm glad to see that you picked up on this thread and from the sounds of things, you are interested in finishing it yourself. So, hopefully I won't come off as being pushy but could you address some of the questions brought up earlier in this thread?

- Do you have a rough time frame?
- Would you be willing to share your knowledge and assist/consult with whoever we find to write the UI?
- Since we were willing to pay for expedience, would that help you out?

Fufunka - We are still going to have get the IOCP/SIOC UI written. Do you have contact with opencockpits guys? (Thus far, I'm just lurking.)
We may still have to contract this but I would like to see if any of them are open to helping us out?

Grizzly's Comanche Simulator
"Fear is the mind killer. - Frank Herbert"
#2149929 - 03/02/07 06:47 PM Re: Retro's EECHCommserver [Re: ]  
{S}DickDastardly Offline
{S}DickDastardly  Offline

Birmingham, UK
Hi all,
I've been focussing on building hardware recently so apart from a bookmark which takes me to straight to the "Simpit ideas" thread, I haven't been following this forum too closely and missed this new thread. It sounds like there've been interesting developments though whilst I've been away :). I'm really looking forward to hearing more from _mue about the MFD exporting -as I understand it, your current implementation has the MFDs on one monitor and exterior view/virtual cockpit on another, but both are connected to the PC running EECH. Would it be possible to export the MFD images to an app running on a 2nd networked PC instead? (I imagine this would help minimize any fps impact on the main sim PC).

As for standby instruments and warning lights: I'm still very willing to help out any way I can with the graphics side of things but in the absence of any more exported data from the sim my efforts are kinda stalled. Retro made a great start with his EECHcommserver, if he could update that to include all the necessary variables I could easily finish off a panel of all the warning lights in an evening (and those of you who followed the Simpit ideas thread will remember we already have working standby gauges, although I need to update the images from the current BF-109 set to something more chopper-ish).

If _mue's MFDs can be displayed on a networked PC (and are resizable) then we should be able to have UDPSpeed displaying the standby gauges and warning lights on the top third or so of a monitor and two MFDs taking up the bottom two thirds of the screen i.e. a more or less complete cockpit with everything fully functional.
Cheers,
DD

#2149953 - 03/02/07 07:05 PM Re: Retro's EECHCommserver [Re: {S}DickDastardly]  
GlynD Offline
GlynD  Offline

Shropshire UK
_mue has very kindly emailed me a patched EXE and some instructions this morning! So as soon as I've had my dinner, I will be firing the patched EECH up and seeing what happens...

#2149975 - 03/02/07 07:26 PM Re: Retro's EECHCommserver [Re: GlynD]  
{S}DickDastardly Offline

Birmingham, UK
Excellent - let us know how you get on m8.
Cheers,
DD

EDIT: You're waiting till AFTER DINNER to try out working MFDs??? Surely you can operate a joystick with one hand and cram food into your face with the other simultaneously? ;\)

Last edited by [S]DickDastardly; 03/02/07 07:32 PM.
#2150123 - 03/02/07 10:27 PM Re: Retro's EECHCommserver [Re: ]  
GlynD Offline
GlynD  Offline

Shropshire UK
OK the results are in - it does export the MFDs to a seperate screen.

However only half of each of each of them! Try as I might I could not get the full MFDs to display - damm and blast

Set up both screens to be the same res (1024 x 768), checked that both the displays were set to 16 bit, ensured that the second monitor was set as an extended display.

I reset the screen size of the second screen, changed the refresh rate and tried setting different positions for the MFD locations - still didn't work. My last set of extra entries in the eech.ini file are below:

Quote:
export_mfd=1 # EXPERIMENTAL! mfd export on multimon systems (0 = off (default), 1 = on
export_mfd_adapter=0 # EXPERIMENTAL! graphicadapter for mfd export(0=first, 1=second, ...)
export_mfd_screen_width=1024 # EXPERIMENTAL! resolution of export screen (width)
export_mfd_screen_height=768 # EXPERIMENTAL! resolution of export screen (height)
export_mfd_left_pos=10,10,350,350 # EXPERIMENTAL! left export mfd position
export_mfd_right_pos=10,360,350,710 # EXPERIMENTAL! right export mfd position

I have a 128MB ATI AIW 9600 PRO (7.1 Drivers and CCC) if that is any help...

Cheers

#2150285 - 03/03/07 02:13 AM Re: Retro's EECHCommserver [Re: GlynD]  
_mue Offline
_mue  Offline

Originally Posted By: GlynD
OK the results are in - it does export the MFDs to a seperate screen.

However only half of each of each of them! Try as I might I could not get the full MFDs to display - damm and blast

Set up both screens to be the same res (1024 x 768), checked that both the displays were set to 16 bit, ensured that the second monitor was set as an extended display.

It sounds as if the main screen still runs in 32bit mode. The bit depth is set by the game. So ensure that in the eech.ini 32bit rendering is disabled: "32bit=0".
The resolution and bit depth you have configered in windows doesn't matter.

HTH mue

#2150344 - 03/03/07 04:15 AM Re: Retro's EECHCommserver [Re: _mue]  
GlynD Offline
GlynD  Offline

Shropshire UK
OOOH, OOOH, OOOH! It works (the 32bit switch in the ini was the problem) - got 2 MFDs on top of each other! Ab fab _mue! Will give it another bash tomorrow...

There are certain constraints - I think use of the F3 and F4 keys lock up the MFDs for that position i.e. if you are in the pilots position and use the above keys then the MFDs are locked but when you switch to the gunner those ones are still functioning...

This is fabulous though - excellent work! Will you be able to get them working for the Apache by any chance, pretty please? Much wants more sorry - lol

\:D

Cheers

#2150548 - 03/03/07 02:00 PM Re: Retro's EECHCommserver [Re: ]  
GlynD Offline
GlynD  Offline

Shropshire UK
This is way cool - thanks again _mue

Just had another bash with this, the parameters below on a 1024 x 768 second screen, give 2 (approx 5" square) screens side by side:

Quote:
export_mfd=1 # EXPERIMENTAL! mfd export on multimon systems (0 = off (default), 1 = on
export_mfd_adapter=0 # EXPERIMENTAL! graphicadapter for mfd export(0=first, 1=second, ...)
export_mfd_screen_width=1024 # EXPERIMENTAL! resolution of export screen (width)
export_mfd_screen_height=768 # EXPERIMENTAL! resolution of export screen (height)
export_mfd_left_pos=0,100,500,600 # EXPERIMENTAL! left export mfd position
export_mfd_right_pos=510,100,1010,600 # EXPERIMENTAL! right export mfd position

You can jump out to chase mode, auto action or missile view and the MFDs just halt and then when you use the F1 key to come back into the cockpit they start again and your position on the moving map is updated...

Now how do I make an overlay for my screen to look like 2 MFDs to go in the pit? Something slightly larger than a 1024 x 768 screen would allow for the correct size and spacing of the real MFDs I think...

Cheers

#2150620 - 03/03/07 04:48 PM Re: Retro's EECHCommserver [Re: GlynD]  
homeracer Offline
homeracer  Offline

Germany
Hi GlynD,
you have PM.

#2150645 - 03/03/07 05:28 PM Re: Retro's EECHCommserver [Re: homeracer]  
GlynD Offline
GlynD  Offline

Shropshire UK
Mike if you give me your email address I will send you the mail I got from _mue...

Cheers

#2151610 - 03/05/07 03:53 AM Re: Retro's EECHCommserver [Re: GlynD]  
{S}DickDastardly Offline

Birmingham, UK
If I enable export_mfd=1 with _mue's executable then when I start up the game I get a message saying "Error: Unable to access video card. Please ensure you have the latest drivers for your 3d card and have installed directX 6" and the game doesn't load at all.

I'm running both screens from a single AGP nvidia 7600GS (with directX 9.0c) and I've tried with the desktop set to cloned, horizontal span and vertical span, and with export_mfd_adapter set to everything from 0 to 5. 32bit is set to zero in the eech.ini and I've even tried setting my desktop to 16 bit mode too, but no joy. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?
Cheers,
DD

EDIT: Figured out the problem was that I needed to select the Dual View option in nvidia display settings so that the screens are labelled 1 and 2 rather than 1a and 1b. Works great now: functioning MFDs on a separate screen - the holy grail of flightsimming! Nice job _mue! I'm off to play with them some more :).

BTW I use the following (slightly tweaked) version of Glyn's layout:

export_mfd_left_pos=0,0,500,500 # EXPERIMENTAL! left export mfd position
export_mfd_right_pos=524,0,1024,500 # EXPERIMENTAL! right export mfd position

...which draws the MFDs at the top left and right corners of the second screen with a 24 pixel border between them.

Last edited by [S]DickDastardly; 03/05/07 06:29 AM.
#2151832 - 03/05/07 02:33 PM Re: Retro's EECHCommserver [Re: ]  
_mue Offline
_mue  Offline

Originally Posted By: Kimchoc1
do you think that each mfd could be exported to a separate monitor if I had 3 monitors? one mfd on each side of the main screen? mue?

I don't know, what your multimonitor setup is. Is it
a) 3 monitors connected via th2go on one graphicadapter on the pc
or
b) each of the 3 monitors has its own graphicadapter on the pc?

In case a) No.
In case b) Yes. But the current implementation draws the two main mfds an one monitor.

#2152187 - 03/05/07 09:15 PM Re: Retro's EECHCommserver [Re: GrizzlyT]  
Retro Offline
Retro  Offline

Austria
Originally Posted By: GrizzlyT

- Do you have a rough time frame?

No \:\(

Quote:

- Would you be willing to share your knowledge and assist/consult with whoever we find to write the UI?

Of course

Quote:

- Since we were willing to pay for expedience, would that help you out?

No. I wouldn't take money for any of this work. Seeing it being put to good use is good enough. This way I also do not have to answer any timeframe questions :p

Mr. Zorg: If ya want something done...do it yourself!!
#2152206 - 03/05/07 09:28 PM Re: Retro's EECHCommserver [Re: ]  
GlynD Offline
GlynD  Offline

Shropshire UK
I might be wrong but so long as the secondary monitors are set up in the "Extend my windows desktop..." mode (monitors are numbered 1, 2, etc. in the Display Properties) - you have a seeting in the ini file that reads "export_mfd_adapter=0". Setting that to the desired monitor might do the trick...

#2152646 - 03/06/07 10:09 AM Re: Retro's EECHCommserver [Re: ]  
_mue Offline
_mue  Offline

Originally Posted By: Kimchoc1
I have an AGP card running 2 monitors. The I have a PCI card running two monitors. The AGP runs a center monitor and a lower "panel" monitor while the PCI card runs a view on each side of the center. Fs9 configuration gets that use.
For EECH, I would like to export one MFD to the left monitor and 1 to the right, if possible.
Simply, can you assign the MFD exports to a particular monitor if you have more than 2?
Just curious if it would be a simple edit.

I had to read up on dual-head-graphiccards. I found an article from 2004 so some information may be outdated.
As far as I understand this, dh-cards can be run in different modes:
-clone mode: both monitors shows the same
-dual view: two independent screens that can have its own resolution and depth
-h(v)-span: two monitors acts as one big screen

User with only one dh-card have to set it in dualview mode to export the mfd to the second screen. I think nvidia cards have an option "dual view". On ATI cards dualview mode is enabled with "extend my windows desktop...". This is NOT the same as h(v)-span on nvidia cards. Ati cards dont do h(v)-span.

In your case (two dh-cards, one mfd on each monitor of the second card) you must set the second card to h-span, so that windows sees it as one big (logical) monitor. To this (logical) monitor you can export the mfd. With proper positioning it should be able, to have one mfd on each (physical) monitor.
Sorry for my bad english. I hope you understand what i mean.

Last edited by _mue; 03/06/07 10:11 AM.
#2152652 - 03/06/07 10:21 AM Re: Retro's EECHCommserver [Re: ]  
GrizzlyT Offline
GrizzlyT  Offline

Sterling Heights, Michigan
KC - I'm waiting for the same thing. I don't need overlays or anything either. (My MFDs are the overlay. \:\) ) I just need to get each one on a seperate screen.
I think mue kinda already answered it...."Yes. But the current implementation draws the two main mfds on one monitor."

Also, look at the .ini parameter. It's export_mfd_adapter =. (That only allows for one adapter choice.)
In order to put each one on a seperate adapter, the left and right would need to differentiated, in the .ini, wouldn't it?. Something like...

export_Lmfd_adapter =
export_Rmfd_adapter =

We'll both have to wait patiently for that change. \:D
(Although, mue did refer to it as the current config. Which bodes well for us, that it might happen.)

EDIT: I didn't refresh and see mue's last post, before posting my response. I guess I should say that us ATI users will need this change.

Grizzly's Comanche Simulator
"Fear is the mind killer. - Frank Herbert"
#2152853 - 03/06/07 03:29 PM Re: Retro's EECHCommserver [Re: ]  
GlynD Offline
GlynD  Offline

Shropshire UK
I have an ATI AIW 9600 card so I have the "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor" for the second screen. This is an old 14" CRT monitor. If it were a 15" (or possibly 17") one I reckon the MFD displays could be as near as dammit in size and position to the real thing.

You could then mount the monitor (it would probably need to be a TFT) in your pit behind a mock up of the pilots control panel... That's what I would be aiming for with the MFDs - steam gauges and upfront display are another matter for another day!

Cheers

#2153205 - 03/06/07 10:34 PM Re: Retro's EECHCommserver [Re: _mue]  
{S}DickDastardly Offline

Birmingham, UK
Originally Posted By: _mue

Maybe someone from the dev-mailinglist can host a patched .exe
for testing purposes, since i haven't any webspace.

File available here . I encourage everyone to try this out -It's so damn cool being able to see your MFDs properly on a separate screen :). I also have 10 of the buttons on my cockpit set up to allow fast switching between five pages for each MFD and I can't remember the last time I enjoyed pushing buttons so much :).

To install just backup your cohokum.exe and replace it with the file in the zip. Then open your eech.ini, check the "32bit=" line is set to 0 and then paste the following text just above the [end of file] line:

export_mfd_left_pos=0,0,500,500 # EXPERIMENTAL! left export mfd position
export_mfd_right_pos=524,0,1024,500 # EXPERIMENTAL! right export mfd position

That config should produce two 500x500 MFDs on a 1024x768 black background, one in each top corner of your second monitor (if you're using a single graphics card with two outputs set to dual view like me).

For those with Kimchoc's setup, I think the following text should give a 768x768 MFD (with black borders either side) on each of two separate screens if the MFD screens are set to horizontal span and are both connected to your second video card (though I can't test this myself):

export_mfd_adapter=1 # EXPERIMENTAL! graphicadapter for mfd export(0=first, 1=second, ...)
export_mfd_screen_width=2048 # EXPERIMENTAL! resolution of export screen (width)
export_mfd_left_pos=128,0,896,768 # EXPERIMENTAL! left export mfd position
export_mfd_right_pos=1152,0,1920,768 # EXPERIMENTAL! right export mfd position

Cheers,
DD

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.