Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
#2136680 - 02/13/07 04:54 AM Retro's EECHCommserver *****  
GlynD Offline
GlynD  Offline

Shropshire UK
Hiya all, looked long and hard for the above to use with UDPspeed - can anyone help please (or even the MFD export program)? Does UDPspeed work with all the helos in EECH? Got a spare monitor and PC and would love to get MFDs and dials on a seperate screen...

Cheers in advance...

PS Many thanks to the devs for an amazing labour of love that beats the pants off many commercial releases! I'm hooked - arghhhh...

Glyn

Last edited by GlynD; 02/14/07 11:49 AM.
#2138055 - 02/14/07 08:06 PM Re: Retro's EECHCommserver [Re: GlynD]  
Retro Offline
Retro  Offline

Austria
Nope it just works with an outdated version, and just with (iirc) two helicopters (the havoc and the comanche). Basically it was just a proof of concept that's been neglected by me \:\(

Mr. Zorg: If ya want something done...do it yourself!!
#2138217 - 02/14/07 11:33 PM Re: Retro's EECHCommserver [Re: Retro]  
GlynD Offline
GlynD  Offline

Shropshire UK
No probs - thanks for replying. I guess it's already on the wishlist for future mods!

Was trying somthing different for Gunship - image capturing the part of the screen that the MFDs were displayed on and then transmitting that data to a network connected display program. Got a proof of concept coded by a Russian coder on rent-a-coder! He did a damm good job - but he wanted $150 to complete it and I just don't have any spare cash...

Ah well don't they say "patience is a virtue"

#2146516 - 02/26/07 12:22 AM Re: Retro's EECHCommserver [Re: ]  
Fufunka Offline
Fufunka  Offline

Retro> I've found it quite unfortunate that after we managed to invite DickDastardly (designer of UDPspeed frontends) and Hruks (the coder) overhere, nobody helped them with EECH comm output..Not to mention all that posts which went into detailed info about the connection to OpenCockpits SIOC etc..

Perhaps we can re-evaluate this idea of hiring a "pro coder", there were several individuals interested in those features, so the pricetag could be split up among several parties. But with this forthcomming release of Lockon BS where all these I/O functions are already implemented incl. SIOC compatibility I'm not sure it is worthy the efforts..

Pls. don't take it as criticism, I'm glad we had even this brainstorming sessions which will be of use in buildings pits for another more advanced sims - you are right that as put it Mr. Zorg, "If ya want something done...do it yourself!!"

Last edited by Fufunka; 02/26/07 12:25 AM.
#2146793 - 02/26/07 01:38 PM Re: Retro's EECHCommserver [Re: Fufunka]  
GrizzlyT Offline
GrizzlyT  Offline

Sterling Heights, Michigan
Originally Posted By: Fufunka
...Perhaps we can re-evaluate this idea of hiring a "pro coder", there were several individuals interested in those features, so the pricetag could be split up among several parties.

I'm in!!! \:D

Although, my priorities are a SIOC UI, for the Comanche indicators and such, first.
Then, looking into UDPspeed (or whatever?) to solve the MFD porting.
Still.......

Also, I would like to hear from Retro first.
- Will/does he have the time (or desire), to continue?
- What kind of time frame?
- Would he be willing to offer up what he has so far, to a hired gun?
- Would paying him directly provide the requisite motivation, to speed it's completion???

Pit builders speak up!.....How much real interest is there?

Grizzly's Comanche Simulator
"Fear is the mind killer. - Frank Herbert"
#2146861 - 02/26/07 02:57 PM Re: Retro's EECHCommserver [Re: GrizzlyT]  
Fufunka Offline
Fufunka  Offline

Yes, I'd agree that among the top priorities might be the various warning/status lights and gauges/instrument data export, preferably by some "industry standard" like IOCP. Full MFDs if ever might come as the last step. It has been debated in detail over and over again within the "simpit ideas" thread.

In fact there is quite a new development with regard to the free glass cockpit gauges (Gauge Composer) for Lockon and other sims via IOCP protocol.

So, that's an open format too, we can bypass the UDPspeed problem completely where you need three coordinated parties: "EECH comm" export, UDPspeed frontend, and UDPspeed code support, and since all those three have been maintained by different coders with different priorities we were stuck.

Check this thread and links for the latest IOCP/SIOC goodies:
http://forum.lockon.ru/showthread.php?t=19708&page=2

Last edited by Fufunka; 02/26/07 03:07 PM.
#2146922 - 02/26/07 04:20 PM Re: Retro's EECHCommserver [Re: Fufunka]  
GlynD Offline
GlynD  Offline

Shropshire UK
I'd definitely be willing to part with some cash to help fund a project like this...

Or help with the testing

Or sing "The Star Spangled Banner" - whatever it will take!

Last edited by GlynD; 02/26/07 04:56 PM.
#2146993 - 02/26/07 05:59 PM Re: Retro's EECHCommserver [Re: ]  
GrizzlyT Offline
GrizzlyT  Offline

KC - I checked into GlynD's idea a bit. Rent-a-coder has multiple coders.
Basically, you post a request for bids that includes as much detail as possible and then, any interested coders submit their rates (bids).

The more expensive coders are probably more experienced and better rated, on the site. Meaning they have successfully done more jobs.(Good option when time is a factor.)
The less expensive coders are newer and don't have their ratings, from past jobs yet, to act as their resume. (Good option when cost is a factor.)

I was going to put in a request but I thought we should wait until everyone gets their 2 cents in. (And to avoid multiple requests, for the same thing.)

#2147016 - 02/26/07 06:38 PM Re: Retro's EECHCommserver [Re: ]  
GlynD Offline
GlynD  Offline

Shropshire UK
Probably the best thing to do is to create a new project at http://www.rentacoder.com and see who answers the call!

If I set one up and then post the username and password for the account then as required people can login and see what is happening...

Does that sound like a good idea?

Whoops teach me not to refresh the page before posting...

Griz, that sounds excellent - what would you need from people who are interested?

How much they were willing to contribute?
What they wanted it to do in a bit more detail?

Cheers

Last edited by GlynD; 02/26/07 06:49 PM.
#2147056 - 02/26/07 07:16 PM Re: Retro's EECHCommserver [Re: GlynD]  
arneh Offline
arneh  Offline

Oslo, Norway
Before you go on hiring someone, someone sent a patch this weekend for a fix which does exports MFDs to a second monitor. Maybe that does what you need?

Haven't had time to look at it and try it out myself yet, but he claims it works, and reduces framerate by about 5 FPS, which I guess is acceptable.

#2147070 - 02/26/07 07:28 PM Re: Retro's EECHCommserver [Re: arneh]  
Fufunka Offline
Fufunka  Offline

arneh and glynd> thanks and pls. check this patch out.

But in terms of the topic of this thread now refer to the discussion page #1 (the priorities have been identified in many threads during past several months already):

1. Warning/status lights and warning text lcd -> data export
2. Dynamic flight data export:
for gauges (incl. compass and waypoints), weapons/ammo, 3D/g-forces flight data etc.
X. MFDs export

And preferably using some open comm. standard like IOCP
which is also described in linked material page #1 of this thread:

>> Check this thread and links for the latest IOCP/SIOC goodies:
>> http://forum.lockon.ru/showthread.php?t=19708&page=2

---
Details here in this thread "Simpit ideas" (go few months back):
http://www.simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=320719&page=4&fpart=42

Last edited by Fufunka; 02/26/07 07:46 PM.
#2147196 - 02/26/07 10:05 PM Re: Retro's EECHCommserver [Re: Fufunka]  
GlynD Offline
GlynD  Offline

Shropshire UK
Arneh any idea what the thread was please? I've searched and I can't find the patch...

Fufunka - are they are collated in one place? That way if geting an external coder in it will be easy to give them a list of exactly what is wanted.

Cheers

Last edited by GlynD; 02/26/07 10:08 PM.
#2147505 - 02/27/07 10:16 AM Re: Retro's EECHCommserver [Re: GlynD]  
arneh Offline
arneh  Offline

Oslo, Norway
Originally Posted By: GlynD
Arneh any idea what the thread was please? I've searched and I can't find the patch...

It wasn't a thread here, it was posted on the dev-mailinglist. I don't know if the author hangs around here on the forums.

#2147525 - 02/27/07 11:08 AM Re: Retro's EECHCommserver [Re: arneh]  
GlynD Offline
GlynD  Offline

Shropshire UK
Ah I'm not a member of the dev-mailinglist... How do I get on that please?

Cheers

#2147526 - 02/27/07 11:13 AM Re: Retro's EECHCommserver [Re: GlynD]  
arneh Offline
arneh  Offline

Oslo, Norway
Originally Posted By: GlynD
Ah I'm not a member of the dev-mailinglist... How do I get on that please?

send an e-mail to eech-dev-subscribe@bollocks.net.nz

#2147536 - 02/27/07 11:41 AM Re: Retro's EECHCommserver [Re: arneh]  
GlynD Offline
GlynD  Offline

Shropshire UK
Just subscribing now...

Thanks

#2147539 - 02/27/07 11:44 AM Re: Retro's EECHCommserver [Re: arneh]  
_mue Offline
_mue  Offline

Originally Posted By: arneh
I don't know if the author hangs around here on the forums.

Yes, the author read this forum. ;-)

The patch i wrote is very experimental. I couldn't test it on
other multimonitor systems. But on my system (notebook with
external vga-port) it works.
Maybe someone from the dev-mailinglist can host a patched .exe
for testing purposes, since i haven't any webspace.

Bye mue

#2147741 - 02/27/07 05:11 PM Re: Retro's EECHCommserver [Re: _mue]  
GrizzlyT Offline
GrizzlyT  Offline

mue - Awesome!!!....Welcome!!!! (Another brain to pick.)
I'm curious about this experimental patch. Past assumptions were if we ever figured this out, we would be on our way to two pilots in one cockpit. (Or was it vice versa?) Regardless, I wonder how close this idea comes to advancing that, too?..........Any thoughts Arneh?
Also, does it have the potential to span multiple monitors one day? Is it a wide view screen capture of the lower half, or is it displaying a seperate MFD view? Can it someday port each MFD to it's own monitor? DETAILS, MAN....DETAILS!!! (We're like a pack a rabid dogs here....we need more scraps!)

Fufunka - I agree. MFDs weren't our immediate priority but far be it from me, to look a gift horse in the mouth!
I think both would suit me nicely. \:D
You're absolutely right, though. Our primary focus still should be on the "Shared memory reader"/UI direction.

GlynD - Yes. Eventually we will need to know how much cash we have to play with and what people are willing to agree on. I think Fufunka's opinions, as well as mine, are pretty well defined. (We've been the most vocal.) So far there is only three or four of us. If that's all there is....so be it. But maybe a degree of patience is in order, to give everyone who doesn't live on these boards time to speak up.
I still want Retro to weigh in, too. While I'm more than willing to run point on this, I'm no programmer! We may need access to someone with more skills than me.
(There are bound to be questions that come up, that will make it seem like I rode the short bus to school. \:\) LOL) I can build it....I can wire it.....but I'll be damned if I can code it!!!

As far as the most consise thread?.....maybe the Simpit Ideas thread??? There was alot of talk about it there, although that thread is getting encyclopedic in size!

I say we wait for a final head count. (And by that I do not mean let this idea slip away, either!!!)......Get Retro's input......Then, toss a request out there and see what it's going to cost.....Finally, see if we can scrape up enough dough.

And just so everyone has an idea, where I'm at financially....
I could probably part with at least a couple hundred, to make this happen. (I'll leave the singing to GlynD! "O'er the land of the freee<crack>eeee....")

#2147984 - 02/27/07 11:10 PM Re: Retro's EECHCommserver [Re: GrizzlyT]  
_mue Offline
_mue  Offline

Originally Posted By: GrizzlyT
mue - Awesome!!!....Welcome!!!! (Another brain to pick.)
I'm curious about this experimental patch. Past assumptions were if we ever figured this out, we would be on our way to two pilots in one cockpit. (Or was it vice versa?) Regardless, I wonder how close this idea comes to advancing that, too?..........Any thoughts Arneh?
Also, does it have the potential to span multiple monitors one day? Is it a wide view screen capture of the lower half, or is it displaying a seperate MFD view? Can it someday port each MFD to it's own monitor? DETAILS, MAN....DETAILS!!! (We're like a pack a rabid dogs here....we need more scraps!)

Sorry, no "two pilots in one cockpit". The assumption was vice versa.
The patch only exports mfds from comanche and hokum.
What I have done is: copied the mfd-bitmap-data from the
videomemory of the first adapter to the videomemory of the
second adapter. On my system its one graphic card with two
adapters (notebook with external vga port). The mfds
are exported separately, not the whole lower half of the
cockpit. And yes, it should be able to export each mfd to
its own monitor. But I'm not sure how much devices/adapter
directx7 can handle. The whole directx7 and multimonitor
stuff is new to me. I'm still learning/experimenting.

#2148201 - 02/28/07 09:06 AM Re: Retro's EECHCommserver [Re: ]  
Fufunka Offline
Fufunka  Offline

_mue> thanks for the description..

Would it be realistic to pursue these two options or any derivates of them>

1/ feasibility of converting those videomem snapshots into several (quality compressed) video feeds which would be distributed over the LAN. The front end could be a player which can play/distribute video streams over LAN such as "VLC player"

2/ multi monitor setup ala MS FS series (WideView), basically several PCs running EECH copy in sync over LAN (one PC in control), each PC exporting a different outside view or in this case rather different MFDs. The code for this could be looked up at the website for FlightGear simulator, they have this capability already and it's open source..

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.