Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#2133437 - 02/08/07 09:46 PM New Forums......argh.....  
John P Offline
John P  Offline

MN, USA
I imagine the forums were changed with good reason, and I accept/appreciate that, but for me (big deal, I know :)), it's been a classic case of if it wasn't broke, shouldn't have been fixed.

- tried to do a search on the F/A-18 forum about the K2
campaign. Entered K2 and got this error, "We cannot proceed.
All of your search keywords were too short. Please try again."
Bit hard to do a search for the subject when you're not allowed to......try doing one for "AI" and same thing.

- tried two other ideas for the same subject, and was told to "wait a few minutes before trying another search....."

- the old forums, one could be notified via email when someone replied to any threads you had started or posted in, via a checkbox at the bottom of the reply screen.
No such feature now, unless I'm missing something. Now, instead of getting an email notice, I have to:

- go to SimHQ.com
- click on "forums"
- click on "my stuff"
- click on "my watched lists"
- click on the thread I want to check for replies.

Argh !!!!!!

Ok, done ranting.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2133781 - 02/09/07 06:21 AM Re: New Forums......argh..... [Re: John P]  
citizen guod Offline
Lifer
citizen guod  Offline
Lifer

Hi JohnP,

As I've said many times in postings including the announcement thread, it was broke. The old forums were many times over their limit. They were showing the sign of having severe, unrecoverable (as in data loss) errors. People sure as hell wouldn't have been very happy with us if we let the forums crash.

There is a 15 second timeout once the first search has been tried so people cannot flood the board. The old forum had the same settings.

Click on the "Topic Options" dropdown then select "Add Topic to Your Watched Topics". That's all you have to do.

There is a three character minimum limit on the search engine. The old forum had the same settings.

Try "enemy AI" or "friendly AI". You'll get returns on either.

I keyed in "K2 Campaign" and got a result right away. I believe "K2" is incorrect. It should be "KII". When I search on the proper name "KII Campaign", it returns answers right away.

Wisdom is knowing what's enough
#2135790 - 02/12/07 12:25 AM Re: New Forums......argh..... [Re: citizen guod]  
John P Offline
John P  Offline

MN, USA
Originally Posted By: guod
Hi JohnP,

As I've said many times in postings including the announcement thread, it was broke. The old forums were many times over their limit. They were showing the sign of having severe, unrecoverable (as in data loss) errors. People sure as hell wouldn't have been very happy with us if we let the forums crash.

There is a 15 second timeout once the first search has been tried so people cannot flood the board. The old forum had the same settings.

Click on the "Topic Options" dropdown then select "Add Topic to Your Watched Topics". That's all you have to do.

There is a three character minimum limit on the search engine. The old forum had the same settings.

Try "enemy AI" or "friendly AI". You'll get returns on either.

I keyed in "K2 Campaign" and got a result right away. I believe "K2" is incorrect. It should be "KII". When I search on the proper name "KII Campaign", it returns answers right away.

Ok, thanks for the info. You really didn't need to explain why the change; I figured there were reasons, but thanks anyway \:\)

As to timeout and three letter min. existing in the old forums, fwiw, I *never* received the warning messages about these until the forum switch. No big deal, just fwiw.

Also, I'm familar with adding a topic to my "watched topics list" ; I have such a list.

However, it still doesn't provide an email notice to me when someone replies to such a thread, as in the past, when one could check a box to get email notices.
I have to go through the process I mentioned above to check any threads I want to, for replies.

Is this the way you're checking threads, or are you notified some other way, and it's just not working for me (which is possible knowing my isp :)) ?

#2136306 - 02/12/07 06:07 PM Re: New Forums......argh..... [Re: John P]  
20mm Offline
Site Emeritus
Honorary Forums Manager
20mm  Offline
Site Emeritus
Honorary Forums Manager
Sierra Hotel

Tucson AZ
John,
You can get email notification of new adds to your Watch Lists.

Go to My Stuff> Preferences > By default should anything added to your Watch Lists be emailed to you? toggle.

Sorry we weren't clear about that!

Pat Tillman (1976-2004):
4 years Arizona State University, graduated with high honors.
5 seasons National Football League player, Arizona Cardinals.
Forever United States Army Ranger.
#2136408 - 02/12/07 08:43 PM Re: New Forums......argh..... [Re: 20mm]  
John P Offline
John P  Offline

MN, USA
Originally Posted By: 20mm
John,
You can get email notification of new adds to your Watch Lists.

Go to My Stuff> Preferences > By default should anything added to your Watch Lists be emailed to you? toggle.

Sorry we weren't clear about that!

Thanks 20mm. If anyone wasn't clear, I'd say it was me; I enabled that option the first day back after the forum change.

However, this confirms it then; it IS my isp, as I haven't received a single email notice since the forum change, even with this option enabled per above.

Something in the new makeup must be triggering a "junk/spam" email "alarm" or something with them.

I added "webmaster@SimHQ.com" to my list of "non-junk/spam" email addresses for acceptance, as that was the address for the email notices previously.

Is that address still correct ?

#2136425 - 02/12/07 09:13 PM Re: New Forums......argh..... [Re: John P]  
20mm Offline
Site Emeritus
Honorary Forums Manager
20mm  Offline
Site Emeritus
Honorary Forums Manager
Sierra Hotel

Tucson AZ
AFAIK, yes.

Pat Tillman (1976-2004):
4 years Arizona State University, graduated with high honors.
5 seasons National Football League player, Arizona Cardinals.
Forever United States Army Ranger.
#2136464 - 02/12/07 10:04 PM Re: New Forums......argh..... [Re: 20mm]  
John P Offline
John P  Offline

MN, USA
Originally Posted By: 20mm
AFAIK, yes.

Thanks. Looks like I need to visit with my ISP \:\)

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.