Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2121931 - 01/25/07 12:09 PM Tried it...again.  
Sepp Offline
Sepp  Offline

I figured it was time to take another look, so I signed up for the free trial. And cancelled it after about an hour of play. At least the third go was free.

About the only thing I could see that was different was the flora. And a new shakey red effect when being hit (my tank).

Couldn't get my stick or pedals to work, despite multiple attempts to configure them in the game. I seem to remember this was an issue in previous sign-ups, and involved some kind of convoluted work-around to fix.

Still can't bail out of a trashed tank. Which bears on my next point...a total lack of an RPG element, which inevitably leads to a total lack of care for your virtual life. I guess it takes imagination to think up a workable scheme. ;\)

Last, but not least (and ignoring the countless other deficiencies in the game), is the age of the engine (see 'can't bail out of tanks' above). CR have always claimed good figures in regard of subscribed players, so why not put some of that money back into the game...maybe for an engine that isn't out of the eighties. If they had the fundamentals right it would be a far better experience, and one I might actually be interested in paying to play.

Never seen more than around twenty other guys in a battle either. Massively Multiplayer? :confused:

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2122099 - 01/25/07 04:49 PM Re: Tried it...again. [Re: Sepp]  
von Kinderei Offline
von Kinderei  Offline

Christiansburg,Virginia

The same old song and dance with this so called " SIM " I'm afraid :-(

They the " RATS " have had how many years now to FIX the problems associated with this " SIM " and they keep down the same road as usual ... they PROMOISE and don't DELIVER !

Maybe in another 5 years this " SIM " will be what they ORIGINALLY promised from the outset as I sit here lookin' at my box and read what they said it was SUPPOSE to be ... LMAO

What a joke !

#2122738 - 01/26/07 11:57 AM Re: Tried it...again. [Re: von Kinderei]  
turska Offline
turska  Offline

Finland
Yeah, They have been promising "terrain 2" engine for few years already, but have failed to deliver.

#2123915 - 01/28/07 12:24 AM Re: Tried it...again. [Re: turska]  
Hairog Offline
Hairog  Offline

Wisconsin
It keeps getting better all the time for me. New atg, new flora, better places to hide from those tanks, soon TOE will be in effect, bouncing grenades, ability to mount lmg in windows. It's all good.

Still nothing like it or nothing that even comes close to the feel of WWII fighting in total. Land, air and sea baby. What ever floats your boat, errr flys your plane or slogs your mud. You get the idea.

What kind of JS do you have?

Alternative History Blog at www.wwiii1946.blogspot.com

Ebook here for World War Three 1946.World War Three 1946 now on Amazon
Paperback here for World War Three 1946.World War Three 1946 now on Amazon
#2124767 - 01/29/07 08:00 AM Re: Tried it...again. [Re: Hairog]  
turska Offline
turska  Offline

Finland
Hehe... Pretty much all sims have horrible ui's for configuring keys & joystick. \:\)

#2125948 - 01/30/07 04:18 PM Re: Tried it...again. [Re: turska]  
zhukov Offline
zhukov  Offline

Ok first up if you take only thirty minutes to evaluate something what is that saying? The rules here don't allow me to spell it out.

Configuring peripherals in this game is simple. It could be simpler but it is hardly a challenge.

Yes the graphics are dated but for what the game is - the playerbase and the server tracked objects - the experience is the sum of all its parts not just the graphics.

This is probably just not your kind of thing. Worms Armegeddon is good my son tells me.

#2126589 - 01/31/07 10:29 AM Re: Tried it...again. [Re: zhukov]  
Sepp Offline
Sepp  Offline

Originally Posted By: zhukov
- the experience is the sum of all its parts...

Indeed.

#2126604 - 01/31/07 11:22 AM Re: Tried it...again. [Re: zhukov]  
turska Offline
turska  Offline

Finland
Ok first up if you take only thirty minutes to evaluate something what is that saying? The rules here don't allow me to spell it out.

Configuring peripherals in this game is simple. It could be simpler but it is hardly a challenge.

Yes the graphics are dated but for what the game is - the playerbase and the server tracked objects - the experience is the sum of all its parts not just the graphics.

This is probably just not your kind of thing. Worms Armegeddon is good my son tells me.

Server tracked object for all things are in now? You know, being able to drop bombs from 8km high and squishies down there actually dies to bombs even that squishies arent rendered to bomber?

#2126826 - 01/31/07 04:35 PM Re: Tried it...again. [Re: turska]  
Canuck Offline
Canuck  Offline

Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted By: turska

Server tracked object for all things are in now? You know, being able to drop bombs from 8km high and squishies down there actually dies to bombs even that squishies arent rendered to bomber?

What?????????

**scatches head**

What exactly are you trying to say?

Canuck (aka Canukplf online)

SINE MENS, SINE DOLOR
Ain't nothing in this World for free except oxygen, and even that is wasted on some!!!
#2127456 - 02/01/07 07:38 AM Re: Tried it...again. [Re: Canuck]  
turska Offline
turska  Offline

Finland
It used to be like if you cant see it, (render on your screen) you cant kill it. Also at certain range your rounds/bombs will go *poof* and vanish.

Lets say we have a town A and town B close by and He111 on approaches the town A at 8km high. Then the He111 releases its bombs above armybase at town A. There are err... 50 enemies inside AB and 50 friendlies outside the AB. By the time the bombs hit the ground inside the AB at town A the poor bomber has reached high above (still at 8km high) at town B wich has 100 enemies and 100 friendlies.

Now the game for bomber tracks the players on town B and the bombs falling on town A has no effect on anybody as the (bomber's) game does not track people in that town anymore.

Also the bombs just vanishes if the bomber releases them high enough and goes too far away from the aimed point. At certain distance the game wont track objects like bombs anymore and the bombs just go *poof*. Specially the (level bombing) factory bomber-dudes used to have all sorts of tricks to stay right above target until the bombs hit the ground/factory.

#2130477 - 02/05/07 02:46 PM Re: Tried it...again. [Re: turska]  
zhukov Offline
zhukov  Offline

Bombs will be STOs in the new patch. I think you'll agree this is a 'good thing'.

#2131352 - 02/06/07 05:22 PM Re: Tried it...again. [Re: zhukov]  
Revvin Offline
Revvin  Offline

United Kingdom
They've been saying that for years

#2132079 - 02/07/07 10:53 AM Re: Tried it...again. [Re: Revvin]  
Sepp Offline
Sepp  Offline

Their promises and assurances became an industry joke years ago. Like the promise of a new engine, made at least two years back. Still waiting.

#2132346 - 02/07/07 05:01 PM Re: Tried it...again. [Re: Revvin]  
zhukov Offline
zhukov  Offline

Originally Posted By: Revvin
They've been saying that for years

Lots of people say lots of things without any substance. People who are surprised by this are the joke.

This time however they have been specific. Instead of the usual 'soon' we have 1.26 patch. If this is missed I will join your band of the determinedly chronically depressed.

#2132474 - 02/07/07 08:12 PM Re: Tried it...again. [Re: zhukov]  
Revvin Offline
Revvin  Offline

United Kingdom
Ordnance server promise ring any bells? I stopped playing two years ago and it was being brought online 'soon' then, then it was scrapped, now they say its coming soon - I'll believe it when I see it otherwise its more smoke and mirrors. Its not my statements lacking substance! I'm not depressed at all I just found another sim to play but never ruled out returning to WWIIOL if they delivered on some of the promises made.

Last edited by Revvin; 02/07/07 08:15 PM.
#2134039 - 02/09/07 03:34 PM Re: Tried it...again. [Re: Revvin]  
Canuck Offline
Canuck  Offline

Well here's the trick....................don't expect stuff and you'll be happy and surprised when they come out with stuff.

I play the game for what it is.

Heck..........finally got grenades that will bounce before going off..............and suprise surprise there are complaints about that.........LOL!!

SINE MENS, SINE DOLOR
Ain't nothing in this World for free except oxygen, and even that is wasted on some!!!
#2134126 - 02/09/07 04:58 PM Re: Tried it...again. [Re: Canuck]  
Revvin Offline
Revvin  Offline

United Kingdom
It was'nt the lack of ordnance server that made me quit, though as someone who likes to fly bombers it was something I wanted to see but I'd not have had expectations if the Rats had not said it was coming, along with the new game engine which I hoped would fix my other big problem with WWIIOL and that was the poor FPS while flying. Its somethign that always took the edge off the game for me as while I tried to keep a pretty speedy rig my squad had a range of PC specs though none were what you would call weedy yet we all suffered frame rate issues to different degrees so flying formation was very difficult. We tried to play the game for what it was but it became frustrating but we held on and held on as we kept hearing good things were coming but it never materialised.

Since quitting around two years ago I've kept an eye on development and tried trial offers when they have appeared but after the buzz of jumping back into the saddle has worn off it was IMO the same old game with the same old irritations for me as a player who likes the air war. Its good that they have a partnership with a publisher to hopefully allow the game to have continued development because its the only combined arms sim of that scope around. I'll still be watching and waiting hoping it will improve on some of the issues I was having which is why I lurk in these forums from time to time.

#2134733 - 02/10/07 03:43 PM Re: Tried it...again. [Re: Revvin]  
Sepp Offline
Sepp  Offline

The true fact of the matter is no real secret. Despite all their claims/lies to the contrary (for obvious marketing reasons) they have never had enough subscribers to more than just about cover their costs and salaries. If they were in a healthy financial situation they would indeed have provided a new engine, along with all the other stuff. It would be in their own interests to do it, because it would draw in more and more players, and the fact they don't is proof they can't.

I'm very suprised it's lasted as long as it has, but it's still a cripple. Just one with a lot of wind.

#2136148 - 02/12/07 02:15 PM Re: Tried it...again. [Re: Sepp]  
Canuck Offline
Canuck  Offline

WOW...............Sepp the new replacement for Plummex???

SINE MENS, SINE DOLOR
#2136921 - 02/13/07 02:45 PM Re: Tried it...again. [Re: Sepp]  
TheHobbit Offline
TheHobbit  Offline

USA
In all honesty it should be remembered that even fully funded development teams take years to release engines. Just because it is taking a while doesn't mean it isn't happening, none of us really know. It's just that well, if they are doing it right they aren't reusing any of the old engine because it needs a complete rewrite. If they are it'll take a lot of work by a few people.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.