Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#2127326 - 02/01/07 03:01 AM LOMAC/FC: Training Mission #10  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT

We’ve taken a good look at unguided munitions in past missions, now we’ll start exploring the capabilities of the Su-25T with regards to precision guided munitions. Today we’ll be hauling quite a large and diverse load of weapons, both guided and unguided.

On our most outboard stations we’ll be carrying the ODAB-500PM Fuel-Air Explosive (FAE) bomb. The FAE is an extremely powerful bomb that has an enormous overpressure blast effect and is effective against soft targets such as personnel, aircraft and other unfortified structures. Moving inboard we’ll be carrying a single Kh-25ML on the right wing and an S-24 rocket on the left wing. The Kh-25ML is a semi-active laser guided missile designed for use against enemy fortifications, bunkers, weapons platforms, AAA and SAM sites. The S-24, on the other hand, is an older technology rocket that uses fins to stabilize its flight and is purely an aim-and-shoot type of weapon; there is no post launch guidance. Moving inboard once again we have mounted under each wing the 9K121 “Vikhr” anti-tank weapon system. Each launcher system carries 8 missiles and the targeting is done via the Su-25Ts “Shkval” targeting system with the integrated “Prichal” laser targeting system. In low-light the “Mercury” low-light television can also be used to target the Vikhr. Finally, on the most inboard stations we have the S-25L rocket on the right wing and the Kh-29T on the left wing. The S-25L is a beefy weapon (400 kg.) and uses laser designation to home-in on the designated target. The Kh-29T is a large missile capable of destroying concrete shelters, bridges, ships and other large industrial or reinforced targets. Once launched the Kh-2T guides itself to the target using integrated TV guidance.

With all of this ordnance and a full load of fuel, we’ll be tipping the scales near maximum gross takeoff weight so be aware that our –T will be even more of a pig today compared to prior missions. We’ll take off from Novorossijsk, hit waypoint #1 and #2 which will line us up for our first target: the river bridge crossing. This initial target is very important because it will prevent a column of armored units from continuing along the road (the armor column will also be a target). The Kh-29T is an ideal weapon to take out the bridge. After destroying the bridge we’ll circle around and take out the enemy armor (hopefully now stationary) with our Vikhr missiles.

After working over the armor we’ll head up to the airfield at Anapa and destroy some predesignated targets including both control towers and a row of parked aircraft on the ramp. We’ll finish up by landing at the Anapa airfield.

Weather for the mission will be a bit poor, but the ceiling and visibility will be plenty high enough for visual bombing. Expect a solid overcast with light rain and some mild turbulence at all levels.

Departing the gloomy airfield it is easy to tell we are loaded heavily as the acceleration is slower and we use almost the entire length of the runway to get airborne.

Turning toward the north we follow along the coast. The airplane is a bit of a handful to fly since we have an asymmetric loadout with weapons of various sizes and weights distributed across the wings.

Approaching the first attack waypoint I switch to air-to-ground HUD mode (7) and activate the “Shkval” optical system which shows up in the TV-indicator display on the right side of the panel. The system can automatically lock onto objects based on their expected size which can be set via the CTRL +/- keys. Additionally the optics zoom level can be adjusted for wide area searching or higher zoom levels. I’ve mapped the slewable cursor to my mini-stick on the throttle of my X52 so that I can easily move the camera around and punching the mini-stick button will lock the target. I have to admit that it is a real challenge to fly the aircraft (which is often out of trim), manage the weapons, and designate targets all at the same time. A challenge in this relatively low-threat environment, but a true nightmare no doubt when things are really going badly! Since the target has been predesignated in the preflight briefing, a diamond target market appears on the HUD to aid in locating and designating the target.

The arrow on the left side of the HUD scale drops down and soon the target is within range and the “Launch Authorized” (LA) illuminates in the HUD. Squeezing the trigger the Kh-29T missile is kicked from the rack, free falls for a second and then the rocket motor ignites in a blinding flash.

The missile streaks in just ahead of the convoy as it approaches the bridge.

I watch in fascination as the missile streaks into view on the TV display, impacting the bridge and sending chunks of concrete flying. Simultaneously my threat warning receiver is going nuts and I roll hard left to exit the area.

The armor column continues forward until it reaches the bridge then stops in their tracks.

The rear-guard ZSU-23-4 “Shilka” isn’t amused and sends a few bursts of AAA my way as I jink my way out over the water. I swear I hear the thump of a round hitting, but nothing seems amiss.

With the column stopped it is time to switch to the Vikhr missiles. I cycle to them using the “D” key (still haven’t mapped that to my X52) and visually line up on the target area using the fire from the burning bridge to guide me. Once the slewable laser circle is near the bridge area I hit the designate button, increase the magnification and slew the designator down the road until I come to the end vehicle. Since the “Zeus” is the biggest threat I take it out first. The target cursor on the Shkval display automatically locks onto the unit once it is within a few meters of it. You also have to make sure you have turned on your laser designator (Shift O) and you will see an “LR” illuminate on the left side of the HUD indicating the laser is firing. The laser has a finite firing time however (60 seconds or less) and it will automatically shut-off if it overheats, so engage it at the appropriate time. When all the parameters are right and the Shkval system determines you are within range, you will get a “launch authorized” cue to fire.

The Vikhr missiles come out of their tubes rapidly and their flight time is very short (9 seconds to cover the 4000 km range). The missile contains only one servo motor which results in the characteristic “corkscrew” path that the missile takes to the target. This is very cool to watch through the Shkval display as the missiles crisscross their way to the target.

The “Zeus” goes up in a ball of flames. You’ll notice that busses are placed throughout the armor column; these are not to be targeted. Since this is a practice exercise we are stressing targeting and accuracy as much as possible. I spend a good amount of time extended out from the column and coming back in on multiple runs, not all of which are successful. I found that after turning off the laser it would cool down in just about the amount of time that was required to reverse course and come back in for another attack. I do think I wasn’t getting far enough away from the column to give me more time to target and launch at maximum range. By launching at maximum range you can target multiple vehicles in a single pass. My proficiency with targeting using my X52 is still in its infancy though, so I was limited to one pass – one shot operations. On some passes I got in too close prior to designating and my missiles missed. Also, I found hitting the lead tank on the top of the bridge abutment was difficult, perhaps due to too shallow of an attack angle. The missiles ended up impacting just below the tank instead of striking the hull directly.

You also have to keep track of how many missiles you’ve fired because I didn’t see any indication in the HUD that shows how many missiles you have remaining. From the external view it is easy to see the empty launch tubes however.

Speed is also another important factor during Vikhr attacks since flying slower gives you more targeting and engagement time. On the other hand, flying slower gives you less energy for evasive maneuvers and exposes you for a longer time to counter-fire from air defense units; all factors to be considered. Overall I really enjoyed the Vikhr/Shkval weapon system. While it will take me awhile to learn to “play the HOTAS” like a flute, the system is very cool.

Even though I didn’t kill all of the targets in the armored column I’m soon out of missiles and head for the next target. Approaching the airfield I can see the next predesignated target diamond superimposed over the first control tower (is there a way to cycle through predesignated targets or does the diamond show up over ALL predesignated targets?). For this attack I elect to use the unguided S-24 rocket so I select station #3 and fly the pipper over the diamond and pull the trigger.

The rocket swooshes down on a straight (unguided) trajectory and I wait to see the results though the HUD.

Unfortunately I must have been just a smidge off target to the left when I fired; instead of destroying the control tower the rocket lands in the parking area just to the left, destroying the four vehicles that were parked there.

Frustrated I select the laser guided S-25L rocket and use the Shkval laser targeting system once more to lock on to the control tower.

This time the rocket homes in on the laser point and the building is destroyed.

Glancing to the left as I cross the airfield I can see the row of aircraft on the apron that represent another target.

With each weapon I launch, and more fuel expended, the –T becomes a bit more nimble as the mission progresses. Whereas I was barely able to climb and reverse course earlier in the mission I’m not able to climb aggressively and do smooth wingover type reversals as the weight decreases. I fly off to the northeast of the field for a bit and come back around to target the final predesignated target (the 2nd control tower) and Kh-25ML to target the building.

With the target designated and the laser on I wait for the launch authorization and pull the trigger.

I see the explosion of the building getting hit and figure that while I’m on the same run I can also take care of the aircraft on the apron. The weapon selection automatically cycled to the last weapons on the pylons (the FAEs) so I simply use the CCIP piper (even though the Shkval designator is still on the HUD as well) to line up on the target.

The FAE is pretty darn impressive although I was disappointed that the blast radius wasn’t big enough to envelope all of the targets on the flight line. It also seems apparent that no matter what your ripple settings are the outboard weapons pylons always release simultaneously so you can’t really get a good dispersion of those two weapons along any axis.

Now completely out of weapons I activate the canon to try to clean up the remaining two aircraft and helicopter that are parked on the ramp. My first two canon runs are less than impressive as I manage to only stir up a bunch of smoke around the targets.

Eventually I settle down and by peering though the magnified HUD and shooting in short and controlled bursts I start getting the hang of when exactly to fire. Waiting until close range instead of trying to hit the target at maximum range seems to improve my effectiveness tremendously.

During my strafing runs I realize that my attack on the second control tower actually failed; once again I hit the parked vehicles next to the tower instead of the building itself. I try putting some canon rounds into the building to no effect.

With all of my weapons depleted I enter the downwind and come in for a safe landing. I’m getting the hang of flying this beast now and even though every landing is exciting I’ve learned what kinds of speeds and normal for approaches and touchdown (I’ve surely jinxed myself now!).

Altogether the mission ran about 30 minutes long and I destroyed a good number of targets. My Vikhr attacks could have been much more effective but for the first try I thought it went pretty well (I didn’t fly into the ground anyway). The static objects destroyed on the ramp don’t show up in the destroyed list, which is a shame, I feel like debriefs should include all targets hit whether they were mission related or not.

This plane is a blast to fly and fight. The feeling of flight, as so many people have observed, is second to none. The complexity of doing all of the targeting, flying, attacking, and escaping is very exciting and even in my rather poorly made and crude missions I’m having a blast. I’m really looking forward to flying campaign missions where surprises may lurk as well as other user created missions that will no doubt be very challenging. For now though, the learning continues.

This mission can be downloaded here: http://www.mudspike.com/lomac/simhq10.zip

Regards..
BeachAV8R

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2127351 - 02/01/07 03:35 AM Re: LOMAC/FC: Training Mission #10 [Re: BeachAV8R]  
EvilBivol-1 Offline
EvilBivol-1  Offline

LA
!!

EB
Belsimtek/TFC Associate
http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com
#2127369 - 02/01/07 03:59 AM Re: LOMAC/FC: Training Mission #10 [Re: EvilBivol-1]  
Colt40Five Offline
Polyatheist
Colt40Five  Offline
Polyatheist
Veteran

Heart of Dixie
Another good read!

Low ceiling makes it hard to get good vikhr passes. When ceiling is not an issue I like to start 5000-6000 meters up, deploy flaps, chop the throttle, deploy the airbrakes and start whatever descent rate is necessary to maintain speed without losing too much altitude and for targeting and firing. From this altitude you can get multiple attacks even on dispersed targets, you stay well outside the short-range ADS envelope and you don't have any of the 'angle' issues you mentioned as your missiles come from above.

Once the attack is complete (you should still have good altitude and be well outside the threat of most shirt-range defense systems), close the brakes, go full throttle and do a climbing turn to escape. Once you get good separation you can turn back in for another run. One thing I've noticed about the T Frog is you have to think waaay further ahead, and make calculated runs. No run and gun action like in the A-10.

It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, or how smart you are, If it doesn't agree with experiment it is WRONG. ~Richard Feynman
#2127439 - 02/01/07 06:45 AM Re: LOMAC/FC: Training Mission #10 [Re: Colt40Five]  
Axel Offline
Axel  Offline

Germany
Wonderful, your reports are really oustanding. Even more so as I try to get aquainted with the -T as well.

I'll try your missions next, currently I have been learning weapons usage with a very simple mission of my own. Recently, after guns, bombs, etc., I tried my hands on the Vikhr's. As you noted: boy, what a workload just to fly the plane, target, manage the avionics (now including this dang laser) - can be overwhelming at first even without serious AA in the area.

Big fun, though \:\)

Thanks a lot for your great reports,

-Axel-

P.S.: Regarding the diamond target designator, you can cycle through the targets using the "Next target" (or "Next waypoint") command.

Last edited by Axel; 02/01/07 06:47 AM.

System: E6600, 2GB, X1950Pro, X52, TIR4
#2127440 - 02/01/07 06:46 AM Re: LOMAC/FC: Training Mission #10 [Re: Colt40Five]  
Kilgore Trout Offline
Kilgore Trout  Offline

England
Thanks for these BeachAV8R.Great read and good to learn from.
I'm just starting out with both LOMAC and FalconAF so i need all the help i can get.

#2127443 - 02/01/07 07:04 AM Re: LOMAC/FC: Training Mission #10 [Re: Kilgore Trout]  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT
Colt45 - Good points. I had a feeling I was flying a bit too "flat" on my missile runs. There is a tendency, over time, to allow oneself to drift down lower and lower as you press attacks. I'll be interested to try out some different attacks from the rear aspect and compare how well the Vikhr works on heavy armor like the T-80 from that aspect.

Axel - Thanks for the comments...you are right..it is big fun trying to manage all that craziness at once. I honestly don't know how people without TrackIR can do it..because my head is on a swivel and using the ability to lean in and back to zoom in on the TV MFD and through the HUD is just invaluable.

Kilgore - Good luck with it...both LOMAC and F4 are fantastic sims and there is a lot to learn about both of em'..entertainment to last for years no doubt!

Regards..
BeachAV8R

#2127459 - 02/01/07 07:47 AM Re: LOMAC/FC: Training Mission #10 [Re: BeachAV8R]  
F19_CoNa Offline
sim junkie
F19_CoNa  Offline
sim junkie

Kallinge, Sweden
Nice one... as usual.
I think I found why you missed the second tower.
You need to set the target size correctly. For a building, that would be size of 20-60m. Looking at the pictures I can see that you used 10m, so you were probably locking up on the vehicles that you actually hit.

The Shkval will lock on to the nearest object within the acqusition frame that has dimensions comparable with the target size.

There's much to keep track of in the 25t.

Last edited by CoNa; 02/01/07 07:58 AM.

..and lead us not into temptation......I'll find it myself.
#2127462 - 02/01/07 07:50 AM Re: LOMAC/FC: Training Mission #10 [Re: BeachAV8R]  
Hobnail Offline
Hobnail  Offline

Sydney, Australia
Nice!

When you're winchester, punch that jettison key and dispose of all those draggy rocket tubes and Vikhr rails.

Turn that lumbering semi into a....well a faster semi

#2127652 - 02/01/07 02:34 PM Re: LOMAC/FC: Training Mission #10 *DELETED* *DEL *DELETED* [Re: Hobnail]  
No Name Offline
Veteran
No Name  Offline
Veteran

Post deleted by Joe

Last edited by Joe; 02/03/07 01:55 AM.

Mobo ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME (REV 3.0)
Memory CORSAIR XMS3 8GB DDR3
GPU 2 EVGA 680 FTW 4GB
CPU Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz)
Drives 2 HITACHI Deskstar 3TB 2 Crucial 256 GB SSD Displays 3 HP ZR30w 30" monitors
UPS Cyberpower PP2200SW
PSU Antec High Current Pro HCP-1200 1200W
Case COOLER MASTER CM Storm Trooper
Drive LITE-ON Black 12X Blu-ray
CPU cooler Noctua 6 Dual Heatpipe
Fans COOLER MASTER SickleFlow 120
OS Windows 7 Premium
#2127671 - 02/01/07 02:54 PM Re: LOMAC/FC: Training Mission #10 *DELETED* [Re: No Name]  
Dr. Shocker Offline
Dr. Shocker  Offline

S.A./UAE
Post deleted by Joe

Last edited by Joe; 02/03/07 01:48 AM.
#2127761 - 02/01/07 05:12 PM Re: LOMAC/FC: Training Mission #10 *DELETED* [Re: Dr. Shocker]  
No Name Offline
Veteran
No Name  Offline
Veteran

Post deleted by Joe

Mobo ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME (REV 3.0)
Memory CORSAIR XMS3 8GB DDR3
GPU 2 EVGA 680 FTW 4GB
CPU Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz)
Drives 2 HITACHI Deskstar 3TB 2 Crucial 256 GB SSD Displays 3 HP ZR30w 30" monitors
UPS Cyberpower PP2200SW
PSU Antec High Current Pro HCP-1200 1200W
Case COOLER MASTER CM Storm Trooper
Drive LITE-ON Black 12X Blu-ray
CPU cooler Noctua 6 Dual Heatpipe
Fans COOLER MASTER SickleFlow 120
OS Windows 7 Premium
#2127775 - 02/01/07 05:29 PM Re: LOMAC/FC: Training Mission #10 [Re: BeachAV8R]  
Colt40Five Offline
Polyatheist
Colt40Five  Offline
Polyatheist
Veteran

Heart of Dixie
Originally Posted By: BeachAV8R
Colt45 - Good points. There is a tendency, over time, to allow oneself to drift down lower and lower as you press attacks.

Regards..
BeachAV8R

The patience required to effectively fight the 25T is like no other, especially with the precision stand-off weapons. You have to force yourself to recognize when you are too low and close for safety from short-range threats, and then force yourself to fly out and up for good separation before starting another run.

It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, or how smart you are, If it doesn't agree with experiment it is WRONG. ~Richard Feynman
#2127799 - 02/01/07 06:04 PM Re: LOMAC/FC: Training Mission #10 *DELETED* [Re: Colt40Five]  
HarryM Offline
Hotshot
HarryM  Offline
Hotshot

Paso Robles, CA USA
Post deleted by Joe

#2128212 - 02/02/07 03:51 AM Re: LOMAC/FC: Training Mission #10 [Re: HarryM]  
EricJ Offline
Me, just me.
EricJ  Offline
Me, just me.

Baltimore, MD
Anyways, great read as always BeachAV8R ;\)

Last edited by Joe; 02/03/07 01:51 AM.

|My Books | Home Page | http://562.combatace.com/ |
- 'Nearly everyone felt the need to express their views on all wars to me, starting with mine. I found myself thinking, “I ate the crap sandwich, you didn’t, so please don’t tell me how it tastes.”' - CPT Cole, US Army
- "...parade ground soldiers always felt that way (contempt) about killers in uniform." -Counting The Cost, Hammer's Slammers
#2128291 - 02/02/07 06:56 AM Re: LOMAC/FC: Training Mission #10 [Re: Colt40Five]  
Axel Offline
Axel  Offline

Germany
Originally Posted By: Colt40Five
The patience required to effectively fight the 25T is like no other, especially with the precision stand-off weapons. You have to force yourself to recognize when you are too low and close for safety from short-range threats, and then force yourself to fly out and up for good separation before starting another run.

Hi,

yesterday I tried my novice hands on Mission #10 to get aquainted with the guided-weapons handling. And boy, do I suck at it \:\)

You really have all hands full at handling the aircraft, fiddling with the TV monitor to lock the target, pressing CTRL-E after the shilka did me in just once again .... \:\)

Fun and frustration so close together ...

-Axel-

#2128305 - 02/02/07 07:37 AM Re: LOMAC/FC: Training Mission #10 [Re: Axel]  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT
\:D Glad you are having fun (and agony) Axel. Yeah...I wonder if maybe the "better" thing for that mission would be to go offshore a bit..then come in at a perpendicular to the convoy and take out that AAA threat "Zeus" first..before even trying to take out the bridge. I've timed it and you have plenty of time to reach the target area and hit the AAA then the bridge...probably the better way to go. Either that..or I need to get a bit more into the mission editor and scare us up a SEAD flight in advance of our arrival!

BeachAV8R

#2128315 - 02/02/07 08:22 AM Re: LOMAC/FC: Training Mission #10 [Re: BeachAV8R]  
Axel Offline
Axel  Offline

Germany
Howdy,

yeah, I also thought to re-arrange my attacking to that AAA first, perhaps even using one of the TV "fire-and-forget" weapons to get a quick and easy kill. I'll have to try that this evening.

However, I guess my real challenge is currently more at getting my plane-/avionics-handling up to par

-Axel-

#2128942 - 02/03/07 01:39 AM Re: LOMAC/FC: Training Mission #10 [Re: BeachAV8R]  
Joe Offline
Veteran
Joe  Offline
Veteran

Bridgewater, NJ
Originally Posted By: BeachAV8R
Colt45 - Good points. I had a feeling I was flying a bit too "flat" on my missile runs. There is a tendency, over time, to allow oneself to drift down lower and lower as you press attacks.
Yep, I do that all the time. I think it has to do with what the picture looks like out of the Su-25T HUD versus what we're used to seeing out the pointy end of western aircraft. I find that climbing at what appears to be extreme angles on the outbound legs of the attack helps to compensate.

Beach, why does the first shot show you firing two Vikhrs? One will do nicely. \:\) Those things are so good I hate to waste one. If I'm going to, I'd rather it be on a single missed shot instead of a double-tap.

#2128971 - 02/03/07 02:50 AM Re: LOMAC/FC: Training Mission #10 [Re: Joe]  
Colt40Five Offline
Polyatheist
Colt40Five  Offline
Polyatheist
Veteran

Heart of Dixie
I love Vikhrs! I wonder why the US hasn't developed something similar...could you imagine an A-10 with 16 laser guided tank killers??

#2129059 - 02/03/07 07:08 AM Re: LOMAC/FC: Training Mission #10 [Re: Colt40Five]  
D-scythe Offline
D-scythe  Offline

Canada
Why? The AGM-114L/Brimstone is so much better.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.