Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#2095299 - 12/12/05 09:15 PM Panning view with the hatswitch?  
speck01 Offline
speck01  Offline

California
Hi all -

Recently re-installed CFS3 (I'm sure like many in eager anticipation of Over Flanders Fields) and I was wondering if someone out there could help clear something up for me -

I've never been able to get the view to pan while using my hatswitch. I've read a few old posts on the forums, and it seems like "mouse view" has never really existed for CFS3, but can it be that trusty old 'panning view' doesn't exist for the hatswitch?

It works on my number pad (pressing scroll lock to alternate between snap and pan), but when I use the hatswitch on my joystick it just moves the curser around (like it's the mouse).

I'm using a Saitek evo, where I have set the POV to "mouse" when I play IL-2 - I thought it was possible that the Saitek programming software was causing my difficulties, but even when I close it down and run CFS3 I still can't get my POV hatswitch to act in anyway other than the mouse - maybe I'm not somehow closing the software down all the way?

Anyhow, hope I haven't rambled on to long, just wanted to try and explain what was going on - maybe it's something simple that I've overlooked?

thanks for any help.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2095300 - 12/13/05 11:28 AM Re: Panning view with the hatswitch?  
bzhyoyo Offline
bzhyoyo  Offline

just hit the "scroll stop" (not sure of the translation) key - you know, the one next to the F12 keys.

Oops re-read your post : seems to be an issue of how to configure the joystick software. I have no problem panning around with a MS precision pro joystick hatswitch.

That's pretty useless to me now as I'm the happy owner of a TrackIr pro 3 with 6DOF.

#2095301 - 12/13/05 04:04 PM Re: Panning view with the hatswitch?  
the soupdragon Offline
Sexy Beast
the soupdragon  Offline
Sexy Beast
Hotshot

Cardiff South Wales UK
Also If you have a Track IR unit you can use that and bypass the hats altogether \:\) Just a FYI.

SD

From the hills rebounding
Let this war cry sounding
Summon all at Cambria's call
The mighty force surrounding

Men of Harlech onto glory
This shall ever be your story
Keep these fighting words before ye
Welshmen never yield
#2095302 - 12/13/05 05:51 PM Re: Panning view with the hatswitch?  
speck01 Offline
speck01  Offline

California
Hi -

Thanks for the responses, I appreciate you taking the time.

bzhyoyo, that info does help me out - at least now I know it's supposed to work and it's something on my end (and that I'm not going crazy). I'll do some more experimenting with the Saitek software tonight.

soupdragon (bzhyoyo too), appreciate the TrackIR tip - I'm sure it's great, definitely learned/heard a lot about it from reading these forums but I'm just not sure it's right for me.

Not in terms of whether it would be immersive/fun/whathaveyou, but a while back I ended up injuring my neck at work (all data entry + unhappy with job = trouble) and something about the head/neck movement that's required from trackir reminded me a lot of the movements I was doing at that job -

Probably just being paranoid, but I was in a pretty fair amount of pain for a stretch there and couldn't work at all so you can see why I'd be a bit gunshy to try that out.

thanks again -

#2095303 - 12/14/05 05:35 PM Re: Panning view with the hatswitch?  
69Yanks Offline
none
69Yanks  Offline
none

none
I recently re-installed and sold all of IL-2. I don't know why but I could not just get into that series. Anyway:

I just installed the evo software SST from my install CD ( could not get it to download from the Saitek.com). If you have the software installed, you go to the profile editor and there is the POV tab shown. Click on it and and you can select with the arrow how you want the hat to function as, Mouse, 8 way or 4 way switch. You want the 8 way. May also want to get the wideview 1.1 file. I found it at Netwings not at sim-outhouse. http://www.netwings.org/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcd.cgi Also, you can read thread on this wideview at SimHQ. Use of Hans method is recommended:
http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/boards/bbs/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=82;t=001843#000000

Just checked and the downloads seem to be working:

http://www.saitekusa.com/usa/down/sstdown.htm

none
#2095304 - 12/14/05 07:47 PM Re: Panning view with the hatswitch?  
speck01 Offline
speck01  Offline

California
Thanks for the info and the links, 69Yanks.

I do have that SST software installed, but don't think I've ever tried setting it to '8 way' with CFS3; maybe that'll do the trick. The wideview mod sounds great too, I'll have to give both things a try tonight -

First though I have to change my powersupply, the one I have right now seems to be dying so I'm going to have a go at putting a new one in (just arrived today).

If all goes well with that I'll post back tomorrow and let you know how my view problem 'panned' out. (sorry, couldn't help myself)

thanks again.

#2095305 - 12/15/05 05:42 PM Re: Panning view with the hatswitch?  
speck01 Offline
speck01  Offline

California
Hey there -

Just wanted to post an update and say that changing the SST software to '8 way' did the trick for me, and I was panning all over the place last night.

Thanks again for taking the time to help out, really appreciated.

3 days till OFF!

it's very exciting.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.