Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#2093935 - 12/19/06 02:10 PM Re: LOMAC/FC: Training Mission #03  
Corsair8X Offline
Dagestan, Dover, DMZ
Corsair8X  Offline
Dagestan, Dover, DMZ

Oakville, Ontario, Canada
These training missions you write as always are excellent. I don't have FC yet, and I didn't have any intention of getting it, but you are making this aircraft very interesting and now I'm definitely thinking of it.

And a big thanks for pointing the way to FlankerTraining.com. I only watched the latest video out of curiosity and the production quality and amount of information passed on is incredible. I will have a lot of stuff to watch tonight I suspect.

Corsair8X

virtually making history 30mm at a time
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2093936 - 12/19/06 06:01 PM Re: LOMAC/FC: Training Mission #03  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT
Dr. Shocker - Thanks for the tip..those subtle little nuances to what you can do in the airplane are important.. \:\)

Corsair - Glad you are enjoying them...I'm having a blast learning to "handle" the Su-25T. It is probably the most difficult simulated aircraft I've ever tried to learn..just from the standpoint of it requires a good bit of attention and care to fly safely. I'm really enjoying the challenge. And since it is modeled in such detail it really has a lot of longevity if you want to learn it in-and-out. I wish flight sims companies would do more of the F4:AF / Flaming Cliffs / Black Shark type sims that model aircraft to ultra high standards instead of sims that offer up 10 or 20 different "light" platforms. I'm much happier digging into the books and learning something very detailed and complex. I think that is why I always enjoyed doing the reviews on Flight Simulator add-on aircraft..they are always so complex and modeled in excruciating detail.

Thanks for the comments..looking forward to flying #4 today.. \:\)

BeachAV8R

#2093937 - 12/19/06 06:24 PM Re: LOMAC/FC: Training Mission #03  
RSoro01 Offline
RSoro01  Offline

New Hampshire, USA
Hi Beach,

Another great read. And thanks. \:\)

Rich

#2093938 - 12/19/06 11:04 PM Re: LOMAC/FC: Training Mission #03  
EvilBivol-1 Offline
EvilBivol-1  Offline

LA
Quote:
Thanks for the comments..looking forward to flying #4 today.. \:\)
Looking forward to reading it!

EB
Belsimtek/TFC Associate
http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com
#2093939 - 12/20/06 02:48 AM Re: LOMAC/FC: Training Mission #03  
Tracy Offline
Tracy  Offline

Chillicothe, IL
Hey Beach,
Just a quick note to say I am really enjoying your tutorials. I have always found the SU-25T very difficult to fly, especially when also dodging missiles and trying to line up ground targets !
I had no idea regarding all the different auto pilots. Your tutorials seem to make things much easier to understand than the manual.
Thanks !
Tracy

#2093940 - 12/20/06 04:45 AM Re: LOMAC/FC: Training Mission #03  
EricJ Offline
Me, just me.
EricJ  Offline
Me, just me.

Baltimore, MD

One thing I should have caught man, is I wouldn't personally shoot for the small circle. I guess maybe it's because I've never flown a real aircraft, but when I do carrier landings (and actually land) I shoot for the larger circle, which will bring the small circle which you've highlighted in line with the larger circle. Once I did that I found it much easier to land and consequently induce less stress in landing, least in my case anyways..

|My Books | Home Page | http://562.combatace.com/ |
- 'Nearly everyone felt the need to express their views on all wars to me, starting with mine. I found myself thinking, “I ate the crap sandwich, you didn’t, so please don’t tell me how it tastes.”' - CPT Cole, US Army
- "...parade ground soldiers always felt that way (contempt) about killers in uniform." -Counting The Cost, Hammer's Slammers
#2093941 - 12/20/06 05:08 AM Re: LOMAC/FC: Training Mission #03  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT
Quote:
Originally posted by EricJ:
I shoot for the larger circle, which will bring the small circle which you've highlighted in line with the larger circle.
Yeah..actually after flying mission #4 I realized that is exactly the way it works (as you described)..after going from ENROUTE mode to RETURN TO BASE mode if you follow the larger circle it will eventually line you up with the little circle in LANDING mode. Then..just keep the two together and it takes you right down the glide-path. Basically I guess it is the same as the cross-pointer or V-bars in the types of planes I fly (flight director types). For instance..here is the flight director in the B200 I fly..the yellow "V" bars:

Takes a bit getting used to the two circles..but I'm getting there. I also have to spend a bit of extra time interpreting the Russian HUD attitude indicator because the way the little turn symbol moves on the HUD takes a bit of getting used to.

Regards..
BeachAV8R

#2093942 - 12/20/06 05:47 AM Re: LOMAC/FC: Training Mission #03  
EricJ Offline
Me, just me.
EricJ  Offline
Me, just me.

Baltimore, MD
Ahh okay man, thanks! \:\)

|My Books | Home Page | http://562.combatace.com/ |
- 'Nearly everyone felt the need to express their views on all wars to me, starting with mine. I found myself thinking, “I ate the crap sandwich, you didn’t, so please don’t tell me how it tastes.”' - CPT Cole, US Army
- "...parade ground soldiers always felt that way (contempt) about killers in uniform." -Counting The Cost, Hammer's Slammers
#2093943 - 12/20/06 10:36 AM Re: LOMAC/FC: Training Mission #03  
RSoro01 Offline
RSoro01  Offline

New Hampshire, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by BeachAV8R:
...after going from ENROUTE mode to RETURN TO BASE mode if you follow the larger circle it will eventually line you up with the little circle in LANDING mode...
That's because, no matter what NAV mode you are in, the large circle remains the Director Circle. Even in LANDING mode, it is telling you where to fly to be at the proper altitude and on the proper courseline for what you are doing. Keeping it HUD center will keep the smaller circle centered, too. The smaller circle is simply there to help you refine your altitude and course. It's much easier to tell if the two are centered on each other than if the larger circle is centered on the HUD. Like everyone else, it took me awhile to realize that, too. I kept thinking of them as the HUD represntation of the ILS lines on the ADI which, evidently, they are not.

Rich

#2093944 - 12/20/06 03:40 PM Re: LOMAC/FC: Training Mission #03  
Eric Offline
Eric  Offline

As far as I can tell, the yellow lines on the artificial horizon function just like the large circle in the HUD, directing you to the small circle's desired flight path. On the left and top side the ....O.... indicates the airplanes position relative to the desired flight path, like an american system.

#2093945 - 12/20/06 11:17 PM Re: LOMAC/FC: Training Mission #03  
EvilBivol-1 Offline
EvilBivol-1  Offline

LA
As I learned in one of Rich's ancient training tracks, the Russian ADI is actually the most intuitive and easy instruments to follow once lined up on course. In other words, use the HUD/HSI to find your desired course line and altitude, then the ADI to stay there. On final, the ADI is priceless. You get horizontal and vertical deviation marks, desired altitude bar and a course correction needle all in one instrument.

EB
Belsimtek/TFC Associate
http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com
#2948642 - 01/28/10 01:11 PM Re: LOMAC/FC: Training Mission #03 [Re: EvilBivol-1]  
Zorg12 Offline
Zorg12  Offline

Copenhagen, Denmark
Another great, informative and helpful report!

I will ignore all ideas for new works and engines of war, the invention of which has reached its limits and for whose improvement I see no further hope.

— Julius Frontinus, chief military engineer to the Emperor Vespasian, cica AD 70.
#3284465 - 05/01/11 10:00 PM Re: LOMAC/FC: Training Mission #03 [Re: BeachAV8R]  
Capt Haddock Offline
Capt Haddock  Offline

UK, EU
I'm reading these series of articles many years after they were originally posted and they are still incredibly useful if you are discovering the newer FC2 like me. Many thanks!

About the "ALT" button on the autopilot panel:

You asked why the "altitude" or "ALT" light was ON when you selected "Attitute Hold". The answer is that the English cockpit has been wrongly labelled. On the Russian cockpit the button says "AY" (or "AU" in Latin alphabet) for "Auto Urobiya" or "Auto Level". So there you go, it should say "AL" not "ALT" smile

Il est plus tard que tu ne crois
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.