Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#2087600 - 01/07/06 05:59 PM Padlock??  
Nowhere Man Offline
Nowhere Man  Offline

Cheers ev'rybody

I came back to LOMAC (NOT FC yet) after a long, long while (real life took its toll), and I have a strange problem now: my visual padlock doesn't work anymore .

I switched it on in the "Options" section under "Difficulties", (green light to "on"): no go .

Anyway under the key-section, I even don't find a key-designation ! The keypad-layout in the manual says it's on Numpad ".", but if I hit this, nothings gonna happen ...

I tried it also with natural head movement, no go.

Strange, because everything else works just fine, every key and numpad designated to a function works, also my Thrustmaster works (button programming)...

cure? help?

thank you very much gentlemen...

cheers!

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2087601 - 01/07/06 07:32 PM Re: Padlock??  
Kodiak Offline
Kodiak  Offline

Over the hills and far away.
It works from a certain distance!
So if you're enemie is far away you have no padlock. When he is in visual range you can padlock. Very short explanation, hope it helps.
Regards Kodiak.

I Want To Believe
#2087602 - 01/07/06 07:56 PM Re: Padlock??  
Nowhere Man Offline
Nowhere Man  Offline

I'm sorry to say that it doesn't work from any distance...

But thanks anyway...

cheers!

#2087603 - 01/07/06 10:47 PM Re: Padlock??  
Kodiak Offline
Kodiak  Offline

Over the hills and far away.
Let's *bump* this topic, maybe someone who has more experience than me with Lomac knows what is the cause of it.
Regards, Kodiak.

I Want To Believe
#2087604 - 01/07/06 10:56 PM Re: Padlock??  
John P Offline
John P  Offline

MN, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Nowhere Man:
Cheers ev'rybody

I came back to LOMAC (NOT FC yet) after a long, long while (real life took its toll), and I have a strange problem now: my visual padlock doesn't work anymore .

I switched it on in the "Options" section under "Difficulties", (green light to "on"): no go .

Anyway under the key-section, I even don't find a key-designation ! The keypad-layout in the manual says it's on Numpad ".", but if I hit this, nothings gonna happen ...

I tried it also with natural head movement, no go.

Strange, because everything else works just fine, every key and numpad designated to a function works, also my Thrustmaster works (button programming)...

cure? help?

thank you very much gentlemen...

cheers!
The padlock doesn't work very well in Lomac; don't know why they changed if from F1, as that was the best ever.

Anyway, you'll find times when it won't padlock, even when it obviously should.
I.e., Upon noticing the same thing you have, I did a test awhile back.
Had a plane immediately off my ten o'clock, flying formation with me, *very* close.
Couldn't padlock him, even though I could see him plain as day.

Other locations, I could, so it's kind of fubared it seems.

#2087605 - 01/08/06 03:50 AM Re: Padlock??  
RSoro01 Offline
RSoro01  Offline

New Hampshire, USA
A few things to keep in mind concerning padlock:

1) Just as you need to be in A2G mode to padlock a point on the ground, you need to be in one of the A2A modes to padlock aircraft. So if you are in a NAV mode, for instance, you will not be able to padlock either.

2) Your entire field of view is not padlockable (is that even a word?). For aircraft, only the center 50% or so (??? I've never bothered to actually measure it) allows you to padlock. An aircraft falling outside that area is visible but you won't be able to padlock it.

3) And, as Kodiak says, the a/c must be within visible range.

Nowhere Man,

I don't know if any of the above apply to your situation but they are some things that come to mind.

You also mention that: "Anyway under the key-section, I even don't find a key-designation." OK. It should be there. In the INPUT options, with keyboard selected, click VIEWS. What you want should be the 8th item down: "Lock views" and the input should be listed as "NUMPAD_.". If the input was accidently erased, you need to put it in.

Rich

#2087606 - 01/08/06 04:06 AM Re: Padlock??  
John P Offline
John P  Offline

MN, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by RSoro01:
A few things to keep in mind concerning padlock:

1) Just as you need to be in A2G mode to padlock a point on the ground, you need to be in one of the A2A modes to padlock aircraft. So if you are in a NAV mode, for instance, you will not be able to padlock either.
Which is silly; doesn't matter what mode an actual pilot is in, he can see what he can see, out his canopy.

Quote:

2) Your entire field of view is not padlockable (is that even a word?). For aircraft, only the center 50% or so (??? I've never bothered to actually measure it) allows you to padlock. An aircraft falling outside that area is visible but you won't be able to padlock it.
See above \:\) If it's visible, should be able to padlock it.

#2087607 - 01/08/06 10:10 AM Re: Padlock??  
Nowhere Man Offline
Nowhere Man  Offline

Hello gentlemen

The problem was the missing input line. I really wonder how something like this can be ereased / be missing

anyway thank you very much, gentlemen

Cheers!

#2087608 - 01/08/06 10:36 AM Re: Padlock??  
RSoro01 Offline
RSoro01  Offline

New Hampshire, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by John P:
Which is silly; doesn't matter what mode an actual pilot is in, he can see what he can see, out his canopy.
Most things in life are a compromise of one sort or another. It's the way the developers chose to have you tell the sim whether you wanted to padlock an air target or a point on the ground.

The reasoning was, I imagine, that if you wanted to padlock an aircraft, it was to kill it. Hence the A2A mode requirement. If you wanted to padlock a point on the ground, it was to dispose of a terrestrial target. Hence the A2G requirement.

Quote:
The reasoning here was that you should have to know where the object is--indicated by looking more directly at it--to padlock it. It makes it less likely for you to "cheat" successfully in WVR combat by continually hitting the padlock key to actually find the "missing" aircraft in the first place.

While this sim was being developed, there was a strong move afoot to get rid of padlocking all together in the name of 'realism'. So I'm glad for the compromises that you perceive as "silly". We came close to having no padlock at all.

Quote:
Originally posted by Nowhere Man:
The problem was the missing input line. I really wonder how something like this can be ereased / be missing.
I was wondering if you meant the line was actually missing. In that case, you did the only thing possible: re-install.

Rich

#2087609 - 01/08/06 03:18 PM Re: Padlock??  
John P Offline
John P  Offline

MN, USA
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by John P:
Most things in life are a compromise of one sort or another. It's the way the developers chose to have you tell the sim whether you wanted to padlock an air target or a point on the ground.

The reasoning was, I imagine, that if you wanted to padlock an aircraft, it was to kill it. Hence the A2A mode requirement. If you wanted to padlock a point on the ground, it was to dispose of a terrestrial target. Hence the A2G requirement.
Yep, agreed. F4 has the same quirk; i.e., ground/air mode.
It's just as silly in that game \:\)

Quote:

[QUOTE]The reasoning here was that you should have to know where the object is--indicated by looking more directly at it--to padlock it. It makes it less likely for you to "cheat" successfully in WVR combat by continually hitting the padlock key to actually find the "missing" aircraft in the first place.

While this sim was being developed, there was a strong move afoot to get rid of padlocking all together in the name of 'realism'. So I'm glad for the compromises that you perceive as "silly". We came close to having no padlock at all.

Which would have been REALLY silly; no padlock at all.
Agreed about should be looking at target, etc. But that's the problem per my test long ago; I *was* looking directly at a jet just virtual yards off my nose, at 10-11 o'clock. Could see the entire jet, plain as day.
I couldn't padlock it, ever. One should be able to in that case, no matter what.

Anyway, as I stated earlier, F1 had the best padlock system ever made.
It's changing in F2 etc. is a classic case of fixing something that wasn't broke \:\)

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.