Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#2084607 - 09/19/05 10:38 PM A couple of A-10 HUD symbology questions  
Tallyho1961 Offline
Tallyho1961  Offline

New guy learning LOMAC through the A-10 \:\)

There are two HUD symbols I can't find an explanation for:

1. A diamond-shape with a larger X superimposed over it.

2. The same as above with a 'T' shape sitting on top of the whole thing.

My understanding is that a simple diamond represents the CCIP for bomb release - I'm wondering if the two symbols I've described have any relation to the CCIP state, or something else entirely.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2084608 - 09/20/05 02:06 AM Re: A couple of A-10 HUD symbology questions  
BritRadarDude Offline
BritRadarDude  Offline

Chelmsford UK
Maybe you could post a pic? But I'll take a guess from your description. A diamond with an X through it sounds to me like the mission has a ground target designated as such. When the target in within the confines of the HUD the diamond is over it (supposedly simulating special forces laser designating the target). When the target is not within the confines of the HUD, the X is superimposed.

Sorry Death, you lose! It was Professor Plum...
#2084609 - 09/20/05 05:44 AM Re: A couple of A-10 HUD symbology questions  
Tallyho1961 Offline
Tallyho1961  Offline

You can see the two HUD symbols I mention in this screenshot. The 'T' over the 'X' just above the minus 5 degree pitch ladder indicator and the 'X' over the diamond just below the CLM/6. While I'm at it, what does the 'CLM' abbreviation after the MK82LD mean?

PS - this was taken during the QuickStart mission for the A-10.

#2084610 - 09/20/05 09:19 AM Re: A couple of A-10 HUD symbology questions  
Hitman IF Offline
Hitman IF  Offline

Aberdeen, Scotland
I don't often fly the A10, but if I remember correctly the T over X is the gun aiming point, and the X over the diamond is showing you a direction to the target off the edge of your hud.

---SVBS squad is playing Lock On, ADF/TAW and Typhoon now at http://www.svbs.co.uk !---
#2084611 - 09/20/05 12:26 PM Re: A couple of A-10 HUD symbology questions  
Tallyho1961 Offline
Tallyho1961  Offline

Hi Hitman,

Another symbol referred to in the manual (which obviously needs a bit of work) is the gun cross. It looks like this: + In fact, you can see it just below the TVV in the shot above.

I like your theory on the X over diamond, but that leads to another question: which target would it be referring to? Is it a target that I've already 'stored' while in CCIP mode?

I'll have to check this 'cause I don't think I had stored anything when this screenie was taken - I just fired up the mission and made a snapshot to post here.

#2084612 - 09/20/05 12:44 PM Re: A couple of A-10 HUD symbology questions  
GOYA_551st Offline
GOYA_551st  Offline

Louisville, Kentucky
The diamond X is indeed a designated (lased) target and the other is the cannon cross. Dive toward the ground and the cross will change as you come into range.

#2084613 - 09/20/05 01:21 PM Re: A couple of A-10 HUD symbology questions  
Tallyho1961 Offline
Tallyho1961  Offline

Thanks, Goya - that sounds definitive. I hate to be dense, but I'm new to jet sims - mostly a WWII enthusiast - a little elaboration would help me:

- Which A-10 system is designating a 'lased' target for me and what does lased stand for?

- Sometimes the diamond appears alone (thought this was to indicate the appearance of a target that I had intentionally 'saved' into the inertial guidance system) somtimes the cross appears over it. What is the differentiator?

- If the TX symbol [B]si[B] the cannon cross, why is it present in CCIP bombing mode? And why do I still see the plain gun cross up top next to the TVV?

Thanks in advance!

#2084614 - 09/20/05 02:03 PM Re: A couple of A-10 HUD symbology questions  
Joe Offline
Veteran
Joe  Offline
Veteran

Bridgewater, NJ
Quote:
Originally posted by Tallyho1961:
- Which A-10 system is designating a 'lased' target for me and what does lased stand for?
This is LOMAC's way of making ground target aquisition easier. In stock missions, you will find that diamonds can appear directly on many targets. You can cycle through these targets using the ~ (tilde) key. The idea is that a FAC on the ground is lasing targets for you. The energy from his laser is reflected into the air and some of it is received by the A-10's Pave Penny pod, hanging just below the nose at te front of the aircraft.

You will find that in some 3rd-party missions, there are one or more diamonds, but sometimes they are added by the mission creator to simply designate a general area, not to pinpoint a target.

Quote:
- Sometimes the diamond appears alone (thought this was to indicate the appearance of a target that I had intentionally 'saved' into the inertial guidance system) somtimes the cross appears over it. What is the differentiator?
If the diamond has an X over it, the actual target is not visible through your HUD. If there is no X, that means that you are seeing the diamond where it actually is. The idea is that you can use the diamond with an X as in indicator of which way to turn to bring the target into view.

Quote:
- If the TX symbol is the cannon cross, why is it present in CCIP bombing mode? And why do I still see the plain gun cross up top next to the TVV?
In LOMAC 1.0 and 1.01, the cannon CCIP symbol (not the cross, I'll explain the difference) was only visible when the cannon was activated. In 1.02 this was changed, and is detailed in the 1.02 readme.

In 1.02, when the A-10 cannon is active, you see a typical CCIP pipper, with a range indicator around the perimeter, just like you see with rockets. When another weapon is active, you still see the cannon CCIP pipper, but it changes to that looks like an X over a T. This is to let you know at all times where your cannon rounds would land if they were fired at that moment.

The gun cross (not pipper) is a fixed location on the HUD. This represents the boresight of the A-10's cannon. Unless you are inverted, the CCIP indication of where cannon rounds will impact the earth is always below the gun cross on the HUD, due to gravity.

So:
CCIP pipper - where cannon rounds are going
gun cross - where cannon is pointing

The gun cross is a good indicator of the roll axis of the A-10. A typical mistake in ground attack is to roll, pull until the bomb/rocket/cannon CCIP pipper is over the target, and then roll the other way. Since the the pipper is a fair bit below the roll axis, rolling back the other way will swing the pipper off of the target. If you instead roll, pull until the gun cross is over or above the target, and then roll the other way, you will have a much easier time lining up your attack. This is detailed in Andy Bush's LOMAC week articles.

#2084615 - 09/20/05 02:14 PM Re: A couple of A-10 HUD symbology questions  
Tallyho1961 Offline
Tallyho1961  Offline

Thank you very much for that clearly explained information, Joe! This gets printed and added to my growing LOMAC binder.

Best regards,

Dave.

PS - I'll look up the Andy Bush articles you mention.

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.