Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 78 of 106 1 2 76 77 78 79 80 105 106
#1951838 - 09/07/06 07:05 PM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced *****  
vince-16 Offline
vince-16  Offline

really sweet indeed..... \:\)

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#1951839 - 09/08/06 01:01 AM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced  
HotTom Offline
HotTom  Offline

Phoenix, AZ, USA
Geeze! It took four years but it finally happened: Freycinet and I finally agree on something!

That Flyboys clip is a perfect example of everything that is wrong with computer-generated images in the movies: It simply looks fake. And it's because of the impossible camera angles. Remember following the bomb down in "Pearl Harbor"? I wonder how they ever got that shot without breaking the camera? \:\) . At what point do computer-generated SFX become a cartoon?

"The Blue Max" still rules!

ttt

Exceptional engineering...and a large hammer to make it fit!
#1951840 - 09/08/06 01:48 AM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced  
Trip Offline
Trip  Offline

Cloud 9
NICE! I'll take good care of her

#1951841 - 09/08/06 03:32 AM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced  
fearlesslds Offline
fearlesslds  Offline

fayetteville
I liked the trailer . So happy to see a new WW1 movie . Now to get the game out. I love Blue Max still remember seeing it at the drive in in 68 . And Great Waldo Pepper , but we have had a real dry season there for 31 years . I agree that comp special effects can be over used. I think comp people need to be told that just cause you can do something doesn't mean you should. Need some restraint. Loved the bomb scene in PH>

scott hill
#1951842 - 09/09/06 05:31 PM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced  
Copterdrvr Offline
Copterdrvr  Offline

Lafayette, LA. USA
I just saw the trailer for "Flyboys"-it looks pretty awesome.

Starts playing here on Sept. 22nd.

Copterdrvr

Skids are for kids!
#1951843 - 09/09/06 05:40 PM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced  
heywooood Offline
99% real
heywooood  Offline
99% real

peoples republic of ocean beac...
really - how the he11 have we carried on so far without it?

and shame on the film industry as a whole - for ignoring such a fertile field as WWI era airial conflict.. so many amazing and dramatic true stories on every side of it...not to mention the passion and excitement of the flying itself.

"you know...in the whole, vast configuration of things you're nothing but a scurvy little spider...and that goes for you!...and that goes for you, too!!"
George Bailey
#1951844 - 09/10/06 05:28 AM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced  
RAF74_Taipan Offline
RAF74_Taipan  Offline

Coffs Harbour
Whats the instrument on the strut?

#1951845 - 09/10/06 05:34 AM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced  
Oilburner Offline
Oilburner  Offline

Cedar Park, Tx.
Quote:
Originally posted by RAF74_Taipan:
Whats the instrument on the strut?
Looks like wind (air) speed.

#1951846 - 09/10/06 01:54 PM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced  
FlyRetired Offline
FlyRetired  Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Oilburner:
Looks like wind (air) speed.
Yep, it's called an anenometer.....still used today for measuring wind speeds (as a weather instrument).

To a great extent WWI-era pilots did not count on their instruments for flying feedback (with airspeed indicators being "optional" on many types), but relied more on their senses to judge their mount's flying state. They had to be able to determine their engine's state of tune in order to adjust it's fuel/air mixture in the air, or to advance the ignition timing, and they also used the sound of their prop's "loading" and "unloading" to give clues to their flight attitude and momentum. Pilots were often taught to sense slipping in a turn by which cheek of their face the wind was favoring.

We've all heard this skill for flying being called "seat of the pants" feel, but it also involves "hearing" and sensing through changes in audio pitch what one's aircraft is doing, and when protruding out in an open cockpit, with the bracing wires singing, and the engine beating it's prop in the air, there is plenty of opportunity for feedback (and for simulating it).

I hope GT can incorporate this "feel" for flying in open-cockpit aircraft, and much of it by means of immersive audio type cues!

(we'll just have to wait.....to hear what they've come up)

#1951847 - 09/10/06 06:20 PM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced  
Mogster Offline
Hotshot
Mogster  Offline
Hotshot

England
Good audio is an absolute must. Sadly its never been a strongpoint of the IL2 series, with the engine change hopefully KOTS can lead the way with great sound.

As a side note Simbins motor racing simulations, (GTR and GTL) have great immersive sounds I'd like to see something of the same level in KOTS (and BOB)

WAS C2D 8500 3.16ghz, 285gtx 1gb, 4gig ram, XP NOW Win7 64, I5 2500K, SSD, 8Gig ram, GTX 570
#1951848 - 09/10/06 07:56 PM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced  
Blotto Offline
Blotto  Offline

Albuquerque, NM
I see an opportunity for a new niche peripheral... the USB fan! Plug it in, mount it on the monitor (right next to the TIR and the center channel speaker... getting pretty crowded up there, come to think of it) and get the "wind in the face" feedback!

"A poor plan, violently executed, is better than no plan at all." - "Sledge"
#1951849 - 09/10/06 09:17 PM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced  
FlyRetired Offline
FlyRetired  Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Blotto:
I see an opportunity for a new niche peripheral... the USB fan!
:D \:D \:D

Hey Guys, along the same lines that we're discussing here, concerning sim immersion, let me quote a posting by Stephen Lawson (from a recent Aerodrome forum thread), comparing and contrasting the Sopwith Pup (and Camel) to the German Albators "V" stutter series (to me this is just the type of differing "character" that I'm sure we would love to experience in the varied aircraft types included in Knights of the Sky:

"Several captured Alb. D. types (III & V) were written about by RFC & RAF pilots. I have included here the information about the D.III 2015/16 and the D.V 1162/17.

Noted historian and Aerodrome member Greg VanWyngarden has in recent years done a small study on the allied impressions of enemy aircraft and has taken time to gather some of these reflections. “...In his marvelous book, Sopwith Scout 7309 the Australian Sopwith Pup pilot Sir Gordon Taylor (66 Squadron) recorded his impressions of flying the captured Albatros D.III 2015/16, ( G.42.)

'...I badly wanted to fly this aeroplane, to discover just what went on in the minds of our opponents when we met them in the air, and to know exactly the strong and weak points of the Albatros performance...I climbed up over the streamlined plywood fuselage, and down into the black leather pilot's seat. I felt immediately how heavy everything was after the light, fabric feeling of the Sopwith Scout. Next I noticed the view from the pilot's seat: excellent, with virtually no blind spots anywhere - a very important feature in a fighting aeroplane....

...The big Mercedes fired on the first swing and turned over slowly with a deep-throated burble from the exhaust. I let it warm up, then ran it up on the chocks to full take-off power. The noise was savage and impressive after the little LeRhône. I drew back the throttle and waved to McFall (his mechanic) to pull away the chocks...

...The machine moved away with a bellowing roar and began to gather speed. It seemed to run quite a distance before it showed any inclination to leave the ground. Then I could feel the wheels rattling light upon the surface of the stubble field. A little back pressure on the stick and the Albatros was airborne, and away. I held the machine in a steady climb to 1000 feet, then applied the controls to a left-hand turn. Laterally it was quite light, but when I steepened the turn and tried to pull the machine around with the elevator it seemed very heavy, putting up a resistance to the turn. I could see immediately why the Albatros pilots kept out of the close dueling turns...

...I opened the engine out to full throttle again, and tried the climb. It was deceptive. This machine did not go up with the lift-like action of a slow and lightly loaded aircraft, but rather to surge forward, reaching out for height. But it went up, I realized with some disappointment, very convincingly; and when I drew it up to a high angle of climb it seemed for a while to go reaching up, hanging on the propeller. The climb to 3000 feet was a few seconds over three minutes; and to 6000 feet in seven minutes...

...Then I let the nose down. The speed built up steadily, giving me the impression that the heavy Albatros would go on accelerating indefinitely, drawn on by the power of its engine, unopposed by the beautiful, streamlined fuselage. It was fast, that was obvious. As fast as I could judge, its maximum speed was about 125 mph, perhaps a little more...

...I brought the machine in...Its personality was utterly different from our own airy Sopwith scout. Ours was , in some indefinable way, a sporting weapon, with a slightly smiling, light-hearted personality; a machine which did not identify itself readily with the slaughter of war. But this Hun was a war machine, a weapon of ruthless efficiency; cold-blooded in the metal of its V interplane struts, the Spandau guns, the big engine under the streamlined cowl in the nose, and the instruments and fittings in the cockpit... My thoughts, as I got out of the Albatros' cockpit, can be...expressed, "Give me this aeroplane to fight the war. Let me keep the Sopwith Scout to enjoy myself in the air when the war is won...

Mr. VanWyngarden also notes “...Gordon Taylor wrote this in 1965, from memory and referenced to his flight log. There's little doubt he was impressed, even though he'd been forbidden to try aerobatics in the Albatros. He was probably unaware of its tendency toward wing failure !... Cecil Lewis had the opportunity to fly exactly the same machine that Gordon Taylor had, and wrote this in "Farewell to Wings"

...already in 1917 the Germans were using a 'monocoque' construction of molded ply (far in advance of us) for the body of the Albatros. I don't know what it was made of; but it gave the impression of papier maché. However, it being rounded out like a fish, it was far more roomy and the whole machine seemed larger because of this cavernous cockpit. The water-cooled engine had a neat radiator in the centre-section, but it was big and heavy. In fact the German temperament showed up all along. The machine was sluggish, strong, reliable, and determined. It had none of the feeling of lightness and grace that our aircraft had. Of course, every aeroplane has its own characteristics and very few pilots take over the controls of a strange type and really measure up its capabilities in an hour or so. So it is probable we never really stretched it; but I am certain of one thing - to throw an Albatros about in the air was hard work and it would have made you sweat in a dogfight..."

James McCudden briefly flew an Albatros D.V, D.1162/17 from Jasta 4 (Vzfw. Clausnitzer) and similarly said, '...On November 5th I went to Hendon with Capt. Clive Collett to fly a V-strutter Albatros which he had for demonstration purposes, and I had a nice ride in it, but I could not think how the German pilots could manoeuvre them so well, for they were certainly not easy to handle." Later, of course, Capt. Collett was killed flying this same Albatros over the Firth of Fourth, apparently when a portion of the exhaust manifold came loose from the engine and struck him and stunned him. It dived straight into the water."

Isn't that just great stuff (almost reminds me of the difference between driving vintage sports cars as opposed to muscle cars).....to borrow on Mogster's car racing anology)! \:\)

#1951850 - 09/12/06 10:23 AM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced  
Oilburner Offline
Oilburner  Offline

Cedar Park, Tx.
Quote:
Originally posted by Mogster:
Good audio is an absolute must. Sadly its never been a strongpoint of the IL2 series, with the engine change hopefully KOTS can lead the way with great sound.

As a side note Simbins motor racing simulations, (GTR and GTL) have great immersive sounds I'd like to see something of the same level in KOTS (and BOB)
Yes, no excuses of closed canopies this time.

#1951851 - 09/14/06 03:48 AM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced  
Bearcat99 Offline
Bearcat99  Offline

USA
I didnt go through this whole thread.. but did any of you see this trailer for Flyboys ? I am looking forward to this finished sim.

Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.
#1951852 - 09/14/06 04:12 AM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced  
RAF74_Taipan Offline
RAF74_Taipan  Offline

Coffs Harbour
Mate just watched it. Really good. Loved the sound.

Loved those sequences down low. Im wondering how much was done blue screen, computer generated and whether there were any real shots(real aerial sequences)?

Ok it may not be "historically" correct, but how long has it been since weve seen ww1 planes up on the big screen!

And some really nice moments, the bomber (gotha?) wing folding, the american pilot bashing to unjam his guns and then the reality.

Wont spoil it for those that watch.

Ill be lining up to watch. Brought back many great memories from the Red Baron days.

#1951853 - 09/14/06 04:15 PM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced  
FlyRetired Offline
FlyRetired  Offline

Latest GT update....an awesome wallpaper showing off some of the game's artwork:

If this image doesn't get the old blood rushing you better check your pulse!

Check out the update (the "Liberty" truck and two resolution versions of the above wallpaper here):

http://www.gennadich.com/lang/en/id/69/

#1951854 - 09/14/06 04:32 PM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced  
Richard Dreter Offline
Richard Dreter  Offline

Good artist! The machine-emotion relation is verry well done.

#1951855 - 09/14/06 05:11 PM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced  
312_Jura Offline
312_Jura  Offline

Czech Republic
Looks wonderfull!

Mess with the best, die like the rest!
Jura's Aviation Art
#1951856 - 09/14/06 05:40 PM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced  
Dunkers Offline
Dunkers  Offline

England
KNIGTHS of the Sky? As in 'You, Arthur King and your silly English Kerniggets'? ;\)

Once upon a time there was dunkelgrun...
#1951857 - 09/14/06 06:08 PM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced  
312_Jura Offline
312_Jura  Offline

Czech Republic
\:\)

Mess with the best, die like the rest!
Jura's Aviation Art
Page 78 of 106 1 2 76 77 78 79 80 105 106

Moderated by  RacerGT, Wklink 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.