Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 46 of 106 1 2 44 45 46 47 48 105 106
#1951197 - 04/05/06 11:12 AM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced *****  
Mogster Offline
Hotshot
Mogster  Offline
Hotshot

England
Quote:
Originally posted by FlyXwire:
Hey a bit off the present subject, but related to Oilburner's enthusiastic post above, here's a good link to a bit of history on the Englandgeschwader:

http://www.angelfire.com/hi5/tgenth/gotha/GothaGIVe.htm#p2e [/QB]
Quote:
instead of a radio - pigeons were used for communications
:D

Actually I seem to remember reading that pigeons were carried by long range flying boats on patrol in WW2.

WAS C2D 8500 3.16ghz, 285gtx 1gb, 4gig ram, XP NOW Win7 64, I5 2500K, SSD, 8Gig ram, GTX 570
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#1951198 - 04/05/06 11:51 AM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced  
Double_Tap Offline
Double_Tap  Offline

Sunshine Coast, Australia
http://www.gennadich.com/

It's very quiet in here.

Gigabyte GA-Z77X UDH-3, i7 2600K, 16GB Corsair Dominator DDR3, GeForce GTX 680 2GB.
Saitek Rudder Pedals
Cougar Hotas #08970 U2 #20
Thrustmaster Warthog
TrackIr 4 Pro
Windows 7 64 bit
#1951199 - 04/05/06 12:03 PM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced  
FlyXwire Offline
FlyXwire  Offline

St.Charles, Missouri U.S.A.
DEATH FROM ABOVE! ;\)

Just had to take these pics of "Stumpy", on displayed at the USAF Museum:

(hoping his story will be legible here) \:D

#1951200 - 04/05/06 12:10 PM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced  
FlyXwire Offline
FlyXwire  Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by tAA_Double_Tap:
http://www.gennadich.com/

It's very quiet in here.
Looks like they're in the process of upgrading their website today, for the announced transfer of the WWI updates to the front page.

Maybe GT will change the appearance of their homepage too, with a sporting new WWI-theme look? \:\)

#1951201 - 04/05/06 02:50 PM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced  
PE_Tigar Offline
PE_Tigar  Offline

Just one comment on the subject of online distribution--I've bought HL2 with Steam a while ago just to see how it works, and I must say that the concept is truly great. Implementation is a bit iffy, having in mind that at least in Europe loading a game can take hours, if not days. However, there's one other thing that's crucial and hasn't been mentioned here: online distribution puts the developer back into the saddle. Online distro guys take thir hefty share of revenu, that's true, but it's like 4x less than the traditional publishers do (as I hear from friends in game development industry). So for me, that would be a no-brainer. Add to that constant and immediate feed of updates, news etc...

#1951202 - 04/05/06 03:59 PM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced  
FlyXwire Offline
FlyXwire  Offline

Absolutely Tigar....design teams should be receiving more return on their work! Not only could online distribution transform the established publisher/designer business relationship, but the smaller add-ons could be sold "factory-direct", being more easily downloaded than complete sims/games can be. With the core simulation working to establish the title's market, the follow-up modules could be sold direct to the customer, allowing the designers to bypass the traditional distribution system.

Hey btw, I noticed there's been some changes to GT's website today:

http://www.gennadich.com/lang/en/id/69/

#1951203 - 04/05/06 04:16 PM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced  
Ming_EAF19 Offline
Babelfish Immune
Ming_EAF19  Offline
Babelfish Immune
Veteran

London
Any chance of an early build ingame screenshot to see the terrain and sky? It's in the title.

I like the shots of the 3D models but I remember pizza.

Will the terrain be as good as Wings of War's? Better is ok.

Ming

'You are either a hater or you are not' Roman Halter
#1951204 - 04/05/06 07:25 PM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced  
Neal Offline
Neal  Offline

I understand that Gennadich is expected to release a DEMO at the E3......

FXW, a completed engine will let Gennadich pursue the next sim engine with one part of the team while the others both work on in-house addons and get 3rd party people to speed on more addons for a cut of those profits. Effectively they expand their employee base and the number of planes, maps and other models becomes large quicker.

Why no changes to the engine? Because most every such change ends up with every plane needing to be reworked in FM, DM or some other. It creates a work backlog that we see with IL2 series is not caught up with. That is bad when one company makes it all but worse when you have 3rd party planes which is not just 3D models but FM and all.

It is much harder to code for a moving target, not worth it very soon and red ink right after. Being able to give the assurance of no such changes would be part of the business end of getting others to make the pay-for addons. Also addon makers can see the base product and know this is what is, not hear about what is supposed to be and guess how long before they can work to that.

We also get something that we don't have to relearn every few months.

Perhaps first there has to be teething time before the addons can be possible but face it, the IL2 engine part is mature already.

And then, play this for however long while watching for addons and the next level that... if it could somehow use the same addons then the sales would be incredible.

Why you don't like the register and piracy limiting part?

#1951205 - 04/06/06 12:18 AM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced  
Copterdrvr Offline
Copterdrvr  Offline

Lafayette, LA. USA
It'd be great if they could incorporate the AGEIA PHYSX card into the mix. They could really get knarly with the low level graphics!

Copterdrvr

Skids are for kids!
#1951206 - 04/06/06 01:36 AM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced  
FlyXwire Offline
FlyXwire  Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Neal:
I understand that Gennadich is expected to release a DEMO at the E3......
Well that would be fantastic.....if only to see these great models in motion, and maybe with some knarly low level graphics too!!! \:D

Quote:
Originally posted by Neal:
Why you don't like the register and piracy limiting part?
It's just that I really don't have much of an opinion on that Neal.

You guys can tell me, but is piracy of flight sims a major issue in the market these days?

In regards to the add-on scheme, the focus behind the concept is to allow each fan to customize his own sim's content to reflect his individual taste, by adding only the expansion modules each simmer most wants to fly, and that these additions would be supported and seen as "standard options available". Having official add-ons makes the whole issue of multiplayer compatability more manageable, and with a little imagining here, I could see in the future someone's "Knights" server being listed online as "Bob's BOB server" for example, where players could connect to fly missions in that 'first' Battle of Britian, of course if they had the Zeppelin "Raiders" module and the "Englandgeschwader" module installed on their systems.....(hypothetically speaking here of course). Still, at the same time, there could/would be other online servers hosting the base sim with maybe the "Kaiserschlacht" aircraft pack for instance, and these servers would be for fans wanting to fly ground attack missions mostly.

I don't see many pitfalls with the add-on concept for fans who wish mostly to fly single-player missions and campaigns, but it's with multiplayer that problems could arise due to too many options, and variables. This is where having official module releases would help keep the whole process of expanding content more manageable, and at the same time accommodate the varied interest of the simming community at large. There could be Knights furball servers, bomber mission servers, ground attack servers, coastal patrol servers, late-war servers, Italian Front servers, etc., all enabled by an on-going process of building on the sim's original format. This type of add-on process would embrace the fact that our playing interest do vary and change over time, and utilize that interest by allowing the game's form to evolve over time too.

Couldn't you just imagine sitting down some evening in the not too distant future, and firing up your Knights install....hmmmm you ask yourself, what do I feel like flying tonight? Do I want to try some more armored Junkers J.I missions in Kaiserschlacht again, nah, did that Monday. Hey I know, I'm going to connect up again with Copterdrvr's AEF Eagles group, and fly one of those late-war missions to the German frontier that were so fun on his server last month.......man, I love the DH4!

Just some imagining of course, but with greater variety, and options, comes the potential for more complexity and the issues that can occur with having lots of choice. This is why I could see a scheme of official add-ons.....or perhaps officially sanctioned second-party content as helping to keep everything tidy.

At least that's some thinking of how to keep any future "Kaiserschlacht" of ours manageable. \:\)

#1951207 - 04/06/06 11:00 AM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced  
Mogster Offline
Hotshot
Mogster  Offline
Hotshot

England
It would be best if stuff could be added while retaining MP compatibility, that's probably not feasible though.

WAS C2D 8500 3.16ghz, 285gtx 1gb, 4gig ram, XP NOW Win7 64, I5 2500K, SSD, 8Gig ram, GTX 570
#1951208 - 04/06/06 02:02 PM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced  
PE_Tigar Offline
PE_Tigar  Offline

There's one easy solution to that--sell the flyable planes, and other can download ground models and non-flyable planes for free. In MP those without the update have to fly the stuff they paid for=can't choose the new stuff to fly but can fly against it. I bet you most people would buy all updates then anyway, but those on constrained budget or simply not interested in the new stuff could opt out.

#1951209 - 04/06/06 07:40 PM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced  
FlyXwire Offline
FlyXwire  Offline

Hey Guys,

Apparently GT is having a few problems implementing their new website updates this week, so =FB=LOFT has continued with their forum previews. Today's screenshots are of buildings and habitat objects (some of that knarly low level stuff Copterdrvr was lookin' for). \:\)

Here's a pic of one of the busiest houses in any wartime French village......

......and the brothel's.....um, house's courtyard on laundry day. \:D

Check out the latest in WWI-era French architecture here:

http://www.gennadich.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1906

#1951210 - 04/06/06 11:39 PM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced  
Copterdrvr Offline
Copterdrvr  Offline

Lafayette, LA. USA
Wow, I wonder if we'll be able to fly through some laundry like was done in "Those Magnificent Men in thier Flying Machines"! \:D

THAT is some knarly detailing Dude!

Copterdrvr

Skids are for kids!
#1951211 - 04/07/06 01:06 AM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced  
Neal Offline
Neal  Offline

I can see people buying addons as they can afford them at prices that will pay the model makers better. In time all the real fans will buy every addon anyway, I Am Sure.

Addons should be able to plug in but how many different ones in the same time? How much RAM will be needed, even just on the video cards to accomodate textures? I remember my RB3D machine being brought to its knees over 1998-1999 when at an online meet the card I had was overwhelmed with custom paints. Every new player with status for one that joined dropped my FR another couple frames till I saw 2 FPS and finally had a collision with another plane a good 50m off to the left and dropped the connect. That was my last event as JG/I as my life took a bad turn itself.

I do hope that this sim will not require massive upgrades to play.

#1951212 - 04/07/06 01:12 AM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced  
Neal Offline
Neal  Offline

Ageia physics card? Please not!

It is new technology by one maker with no industry standard yet. To tie an upcoming sim line to that is a crap shoot.

Wait for the dust to settle and remember your voodoo cards (I had 3 different ones, all given away) and Beta VCR.

#1951213 - 04/07/06 01:54 AM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced  
Copterdrvr Offline
Copterdrvr  Offline

Lafayette, LA. USA
Easy there big fella! I'm sure that the Ageia card and the associated software could be implemented in such a manner that it'd be a benefit for those who had it installed, and not at the expense of those that don't. ;\)

I know that if it would allow me to fly over the front and witness thousands of troops leaping out of thier miserable trenches and make the desperate dash across No-Mans Land, I'm for it.

Copterdrvr

Skids are for kids!
#1951214 - 04/07/06 02:16 AM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced  
PC777 Offline
PC777  Offline

Adelaide Sth Aust
Hi been following this thread with great interest & anticipation.

Hi to FlyXwire S~

So when is this Flight Sim going to get it's own forum in the Air Combat Zone section??

PC

#1951215 - 04/07/06 10:51 AM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced  
HammFist Offline
HammFist  Offline

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Quote:
Originally posted by copterdrvr:
I know that if it would allow me to fly over the front and witness thousands of troops leaping out of thier miserable trenches and make the desperate dash across No-Mans Land, I'm for it.
We had that in the Original Red Baron -- on a 286. When they went "3D" we lost the little guys.

#1951216 - 04/07/06 11:07 AM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced  
Copterdrvr Offline
Copterdrvr  Offline

Lafayette, LA. USA
Quote:
Originally posted by HammFist:
We had that in the Original Red Baron -- on a 286. When they went "3D" we lost the little guys.
I remember it well. I would cruise the front for what seemed like hours to find an attack taking place. Then it was my turn!

And I want it back!

Copterdrvr

Skids are for kids!
Page 46 of 106 1 2 44 45 46 47 48 105 106

Moderated by  RacerGT, Wklink 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.