Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 44 of 106 1 2 42 43 44 45 46 105 106
#1951157 - 03/28/06 06:14 PM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced *****  
FlyXwire Offline
FlyXwire  Offline

St.Charles, Missouri U.S.A.
Why yes it is Willi......vintage nineteen hundred and three.....but you'll find hard to get!!! \:D \:D \:D

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#1951158 - 03/28/06 06:37 PM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced  
Sturm_Williger Offline
Sturm_Williger  Offline

Virtual Paradise
Quote:
Originally posted by WWSensei:
The key Frey, is that it doesn't have to better than IL2....it pretty much just has to be better than RB3D... ;-)
Absolutely what he said !!

And from flying some biplanes and ( god help me, the P11 ), we already know it WILL.

( Sturm drools some more )

"Another glass of your loathsome, vaguely beerish frozen swill, if you please."
#1951159 - 03/28/06 07:08 PM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced  
Ivor H Offline
Ivor H  Offline

UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Sturm_Williger:
Quote:
Originally posted by WWSensei:
The key Frey, is that it doesn't have to better than IL2....it pretty much just has to be better than RB3D... ;-)
Absolutely what he said !!

And from flying some biplanes and ( god help me, the P11 ), we already know it WILL.

( Sturm drools some more )
No it won't be, unless it has a campaign system that is substantially better than IL2FB/PF.

RB3d's campaign system is still one of the best there is. OFF's bolted-on campaign system for CFS3 looks like it could come close, and it already has very good graphics. I hope the new sim's makers won't forget that sims need more than good FMs, DMs and graphics, and that an immersive campaign system is at least as desirable.

When you soar into the air in a Sopwith scout
And you're scrapping with a Hun and your gun cuts out
Well, you stuff down your nose till your plugs fall out
'Cos you haven't got a hope in the morning!
#1951160 - 03/28/06 09:53 PM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced  
Sturm_Williger Offline
Sturm_Williger  Offline

Virtual Paradise
Ok, point. And as it's based on IL2, there's not a lot can be done about that.

But it's still going to be great !

#1951161 - 03/29/06 12:16 AM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
While I'm not one to write bad about RB3D (after all, the "BA" is for the RFC101 "Black Adders" in my handle there), to make me really happy it only has to slightly better than RB3D.

One can't really talk about RB3D without putting it into the context in which it was made, and the longevity it (still) enjoys.

Yes, I was one of the guys that bought two grand of computer for a forty dollar sim. I remember it fondly, a P90 with a Voodoo Banshee card and other rediculously over the top specs for the time.

And it was worth every penny, though in hindsight I don't think I'll ever upgrade a system for a sim that isn't quite released yet. But such was my passion. And my youth.

When Glide came around the whole thing just dazzled me with the graphics goodness that matched the flight. I missed the little guys running across the front, though.

Then came online flying - wow, I was definately hooked!

The shortfalls of the technological constraints began to show, however. Hitboxes, "ubering" of aircraft when slightly damaged, the solving of AFM with NFM (which had it's own problems) made things a bit distressing at times.

The first time I flew IL-2 and the tracers that came close - but did not hit - my wingtips didn't mean I was headed for the dirt had me leaving the old girl of WWI behind.

Of course by then I figured out that the best part of RB3D was the online community that came with it. I was overjoyed when many RB3D squadrons came over to IL-2.

I must admit the whole dynamic campaign thing was lost on me, even though I flew it offline exclusively for years. Perhaps it's a measure of how well it was done that I never paid much attention to it - I just flew the missions and tried to survive.

The best was fighters scrambling if one got too close to their airdromes. And hearing the church bell if one flew down to it.

At any rate, I'll be buying this WWI sim....

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#1951162 - 03/29/06 01:25 AM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced  
Copterdrvr Offline
Copterdrvr  Offline

Lafayette, LA. USA
I'm thinking that there is room for the IL2 engine to grow with this sim as things will be happening much more slowly-what with the much slower speeds of the aircraft and all.

On my trip down memory lane, I remember taking some of the money I made from selling a motorcycle and buying a 3Dfx Voodoo V5500 to play RB3D. Man it was heaven-for a while.

I hated the fact that Glide was the only game in town for RB3D, and it hurt to have to upgrade to a card that didn't have the capability.

Yeah, I know they made a Glide wrapper but I'd moved on by then.

Copterdrvr

Skids are for kids!
#1951163 - 03/29/06 06:56 AM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced  
Ugly_Kid Offline
Ugly_Kid  Offline

München, Germany
Partly it should serve that IL-2 FM is more suited for WW I sim like that - the real shortcomings: high alt and high Mach figure are no conserns of WW I sim. Hopefully, they pay attention to an improved slow speed handling in this regard version 4.xx FM is way ahead of the predecessors where stalling seemed to be more triggered by elevator handling rather than actual angle of attack. That is to say focus is in a different area and the IL-2 FM will actually be relatively better suited. Hope they add really complex engine management, overrevving props and stuff so that life won't become too easy.

As for offline - I was let down with IL-2 and for the reason put it aside pretty quick. Half a year later or more I got a modem connection broke my leg and had more time and started experimenting online - that was that. Wouldn't mind a proper campaign though - it is time a new sim came up with one...For me more important would be elements that enable good online coops and war - bombers being essential, perhaps ground troops. If only troops could be modeled so that one could mix strafing - infantry attack and stuff but I recon it's still too much.

#1951164 - 03/29/06 08:21 AM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced  
Neal Offline
Neal  Offline

IL2 engine is well suited to better campaign than even RB gave. No! Really!

Especially if this new sim will release the screen and inputs to 3rd party generators which is NOT a big step. If users can not only generate the missions but also the presentation then these things are not only possible but they can change and grow over time long after the game is released. Players can choose which they want. Online wars can become more and more sophisticated with NO WORK BY GENNADICH required.

Alternate without releasing control, if the between flyings parts (briefing, debriefing, other imaginables) is presented through web browser as html +and+ 3rd party generator is allowed then 3rd party generator does not have to deal with graphics on different hardware but only to make 'safe' html file able to use prepared graphics and sound as well as generate the mission files and again the things made will in time easily surpass what a budget will allow created. Far surpass, the game becomes more attractive, more sellable. Only problem is to convince publisher but do it once and they should see the worth.
This HTML is perhaps the better way since by html links one presentation can link to others already made and allow many to contribute much more easily.

Please Viks, those are the kinds of elements that have kept otherwise dead sims fresh and sellable for years. If you make that part open it will not affect fidelity of the planes and the makers of generators (I can see team efforts) will have an easier time of it than how it is with say EAW (plugging in values to warp what is there) with results much cleaner and appealing. If later efforts by you allow the same way to work then all the generators will be quickly adaptable to your next product. Consider it as plus value to both game and company reputation.

------------------------------------------------

The biggie for me though would be DF allowing AI planes with mission profiles added during operation. The line between coop and DF erased with programs like FBdaemon in control. We are ready but is it possible?

#1951165 - 03/29/06 09:02 AM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello,
some posts above FlyXWire wrote:
"Why yes it is Willi......vintage nineteen hundred and three.....but you'll find hard to get!!!"
Somehow reminds me of the Blue max, was on TV yesterday ;-).
I just stumbled across a newspaper article, someone has rebuilt Karl Jahto's plane from 1903 (rare vintage) and intends to fly it. According to witnesses Jahto made a 60 meter "flight" in 1903 with it. Mr. Lohmann, the constructor who rebuilt it however states he will not believe this crate flies until he's really in the air with it. I can post a picture at photobucket if anyone's interested.
Lohmann intends to fly in september 2006 at Hannover airport - did i say i'll be there ?

Regarding the knights sim from Gennadich i pray for a good immersive campaign and better on-the-ground-graphics than in IL2, maybe à la OFF style ?

Greetings,
Narsinha

#1951166 - 03/29/06 09:03 AM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced  
Mahoney Offline
Mahoney  Offline

Twickenham, London, UK
Quick request for Viks - it would be much appreciated if you could accomodate native support for the Z800 reviewed here:
http://www.simhq.com/_technology2/technology_080a.html

Need to be able to do 800x600 resolution and support the Z800's head tracking API.

I've been waiting for a WWI sim with a 6DOF head mounted display for more than a decade!

#1951167 - 03/29/06 09:13 AM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced  
Sturm_Williger Offline
Sturm_Williger  Offline

Virtual Paradise
Heh heh, if Gennadich are smart, they'll create an object like the air-raid siren ... only it'll only be placed on maps at a church ... and it'll make a noise like a churchbell when you dive on it.

It'll bring tears of joy to old simmers eyes ;\)

#1951168 - 03/29/06 09:31 AM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced  
commorange Offline
commorange  Offline

Troy, OH
its going to be funny when this sim gets canned. I love to read all those hilarious threads about 'Wah I bought a completely nw system for this game' \:D \:D

my system: Intel Core I7 920 @ 3570ghz
Asus P6T MB
6 GB OCZ DDR3 RAM , dram freq 680 mhz, NB freq 2720 mhz
Radeon HD 4870 w/ 1 Gb vram
OS.. Windows 7 professional 64 bit
WD 2 TB hard disk drive etc.

#1951169 - 03/29/06 09:39 AM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced  
Mahoney Offline
Mahoney  Offline

Twickenham, London, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by flakwagon:
its going to be funny when this sim gets canned. I love to read all those hilarious threads about 'Wah I bought a completely nw system for this game' \:D \:D
I've never yet seen anyone buy a new system for an unpublished WWI flight sim, and goodness knows I've followed a few.

Shame to be so twisted that this is the only comment you feel like making.

#1951170 - 03/29/06 10:42 AM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced  
Sturm_Williger Offline
Sturm_Williger  Offline

Virtual Paradise
I upgraded my rig for BoB.

The fact that it will run the new WWI sim like a greased pig down a bobsleigh run is just icing !

#1951171 - 03/29/06 11:35 AM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced  
FlyXwire Offline
FlyXwire  Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Mahoney:
I've never yet seen anyone buy a new system for an unpublished WWI flight sim, and goodness knows I've followed a few.

Shame to be so twisted that this is the only comment you feel like making.
LOL Mahoney......hey, we've replaced a few during the wait......that counts, right?

#1951172 - 03/30/06 01:40 AM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced  
Neal Offline
Neal  Offline

Quote:
Don't know whatcher personal problem is but I wish you wouldn't 'share'.

Not enough love or too little discipline maybe... why else the _delight_ in screwing with others that ain't done you harm?

#1951173 - 03/30/06 02:36 PM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced  
FlyXwire Offline
FlyXwire  Offline

BIG GT update today!

The Sopwith Dolphin (certainly one of the best and most overlooked fighters of the war):

The beautiful but combat-limited Nieuport 28:

And last but certainly not least, the WIP on the cockpit of the Fokker D.VII:

(hey, is that a high-altitude oxygen cannister I see there just below the pilot's seat)

Btw, =FB=LOFT says this will be the last forum update.......next week will see the updates on GT's company website.

Today's update here:

http://www.gennadich.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1906

Next week's update here:

http://www.gennadich.com

#1951174 - 03/30/06 02:50 PM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced  
Trip Offline
Trip  Offline

Cloud 9
:coooool:

#1951175 - 03/30/06 02:52 PM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced  
Barkhorn1x Offline
Barkhorn1x  Offline

Davie, FL
Quote:
Originally posted by Neal:
Quote:
Don't know whatcher personal problem is but I wish you wouldn't 'share'.

Not enough love or too little discipline maybe... why else the _delight_ in screwing with others that ain't done you harm?
DFTT

Barkhorn.

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism, while the wolf remains of a different opinion."--- William Ralph Inge

"The ORIGINAL Barkhorn"
#1951176 - 03/30/06 03:06 PM Re: WWI sim, based on the IL-2 engine announced  
FlyXwire Offline
FlyXwire  Offline

Hey, for you guys looking forward to clearing those gun stoppages.....get a grip....

....on those babies! \:D

Page 44 of 106 1 2 42 43 44 45 46 105 106

Moderated by  RacerGT, Wklink 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.