Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1776119 - 09/14/06 05:20 AM Wacky AWACS commander  
pharoah1 Offline
pharoah1  Offline

Unknown
As i was completing a SEAD strike mission, i called in to my AWACS command and asked him for the general picture of the skies ahead of me. He relayed to me that there were boogies at my 9. So i turned and painted a aircraft and asked the AWACS to declare target. He said it was a boggie so fired on the target. I asked for declaration on a another target, AWACS called it a boogie and i fired. When i landed an debriefed, i was court martialed for firing on friendlies!!!! I shot down a F-111 and a F-16. My question is:

1)As i locked on to my target, i noticed a cross in the middle of the locked target. Did this mean it was a friendly?

2) There were no other targets in the area, so i know my shot didn't go off course and hit a friendly by mistake. Why would AWACS declare a friendly a boogie?

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#1776120 - 09/14/06 05:51 AM Re: Wacky AWACS commander  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Didn't they call out a buddy-spike when you locked them up?

- Ice
#1776121 - 09/14/06 06:28 AM Re: Wacky AWACS commander  
Russki Bear Offline
Russki Bear  Offline

Darwin, NT, Australia
I thought a bogie was an unknown. If they are hostile, the AWACS usually states as such.

#1776122 - 09/14/06 06:52 AM Re: Wacky AWACS commander  
Shadowman 430 Offline
Shadowman 430  Offline

Sounds like the ol' HARM issue. By chance, did you lock up any radars with your HTS prior to declaring on the bogeys?

#1776123 - 09/14/06 06:54 AM Re: Wacky AWACS commander  
Android Offline
Android  Offline

Australia
Russki is correct.
A bogie is an unknown contact.
A bandit is a hostile contact.

I think you have to lock them up twice (STT mode) before they call out buddy spike

It is better to have a good plan than a good army
#1776124 - 09/14/06 08:36 AM Re: Wacky AWACS commander  
Panther Offline
Panther  Offline

I read this hear before and then I created a document for future mistakes or questions:

Quote:
Posted: Sat May 20, 2006 12:36 pm Post subject: [Information] Bogey Calls by Awacs, Must READ!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You have a radar contact on your nose, 40 mile out and he is nose hot with no spikes on RWR. You decide to delcare to check with awacs, Awacs response is Bogey.

Rule number 1 Bogey doesn't mean hostile, it could mean awacs isn't sure or it is a enermy aircraft that doesn't fit into the ROE.

Rule number 2, was the last weapon you fired a HARM, check you HTS page to make sure you still don't have a lock on a SAM, or Radar. Awacs is confused to which target you are asking a declare for. Unlock the radar, re-lock you unknown contact, chances are you will hear friendly.

This is just to help you from locking and firing on friendly fighters. I have seen this a lot lately. Good Luck.

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO, i7 6700k, G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB, 980TI 6GB G1 OC, Obutto oZone, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, NP TrackIR5, ***Soon*** Oculus Rift
#1776125 - 09/14/06 03:26 PM Re: Wacky AWACS commander  
Jex =TE= Offline
Jex =TE=  Offline

UK
Is it possible in F4 that a damaged friendly could be reported as bogie?

#1776126 - 09/14/06 06:01 PM Re: Wacky AWACS commander  
pharoah1 Offline
pharoah1  Offline

Unknown
I did have a lock on a SA-6 before switching over to air radar. I thought a boogie was considered a enemy aircraft? i have never heard the AWACS commander call out hostile jet, he always says boogie or friendly. I guess i will have to be more careful when switching from HARM to A2A weapons. And i did hear the buddy spike call, but there is so much communicating throughout the game i did not know it was directed at me. One question no one addressed:

1)When locking a aircraft into STT, does the cross in the middle of the contact indicate that it is friendly?

Why not have a better IFF or aircraft identification system on the update agenda. I have been shot down to many times because i was indecisive about a contact. Why not have a specific button for contact ID, kind of like Jane's F/A 18? I think the Falcon 4.0 target id system is to cumbersome for practical use in a combat enviroment \:\)

#1776127 - 09/14/06 06:03 PM Re: Wacky AWACS commander  
pharoah1 Offline
pharoah1  Offline

Unknown
Oopps................ I am sorry it is bogie not boogie. I gues i was thinking about the boogie man while i was writing this!!!!!!! \:\)

#1776128 - 09/14/06 07:49 PM Re: Wacky AWACS commander  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
The only sure enemy responses are bandit or hostile. Outlaw is likely enemy (and I haven't shot one yet that wasn't).

Bogey simply means unidentified.

I don't think there's any 'HARM/HTS issue'. I saw that thread and I think it's just a matter of wrong conclusions.

If you ever hear a buddy spike call it is only for you, you will never hear it otherwise. STT is the poor man's IFF in this sim.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#1776129 - 09/14/06 11:06 PM Re: Wacky AWACS commander  
John P Offline
John P  Offline

MN, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by pharoah1:
I did have a lock on a SA-6 before switching over to air radar. I thought a boogie was considered a enemy aircraft? i have never heard the AWACS commander call out hostile jet, he always says boogie or friendly. I guess i will have to be more careful when switching from HARM to A2A weapons. And i did hear the buddy spike call, but there is so much communicating throughout the game i did not know it was directed at me. One question no one addressed:

1)When locking a aircraft into STT, does the cross in the middle of the contact indicate that it is friendly?

Why not have a better IFF or aircraft identification system on the update agenda. I have been shot down to many times because i was indecisive about a contact. Why not have a specific button for contact ID, kind of like Jane's F/A 18? I think the Falcon 4.0 target id system is to cumbersome for practical use in a combat enviroment \:\)
:) Coming from the excellent IFF, SA, etc. in F/A-18, you'll find the Fx IFF, Awacs, etc. is pretty poor. NCTR program is basically useless for IFF, i.e.

Best to use the hints already listed. Another good one is with a wingman; ask him to attack your target, and if he says negative, you know it's a friendly.

Not realistic of course, but that's the way you have to use what the game gives you.

#1776130 - 09/15/06 01:49 AM Re: Wacky AWACS commander  
nonexistent Offline
nonexistent  Offline

NY
IFF is some pretty top secret junk, that's why it's probably not implemented!

#1776131 - 09/15/06 01:56 AM Re: Wacky AWACS commander  
John P Offline
John P  Offline

MN, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Monkey Man:
IFF is some pretty top secret junk, that's why it's probably not implemented!
That's no excuse \:\) Other "top secret/semi-top secret stuff" is in the game.
Some kind of representation of an IFF function could have been made (already is, in Cobra), to compensate for the fact that it's a game on a pc, and the limitations therein.

Iirc, the actual F16 doesn't have an iff function in reality, but then, an actual F16 doesn't have to deal with the lousy awacs/nctr code in the game, nor pc limitations either. \:\)

#1776132 - 09/15/06 03:46 AM Re: Wacky AWACS commander  
exhausted Offline
exhausted  Offline

none
I think you shot them down due to your inexpirience. Bogies are UID. They are unidentified and you should call the AWACS shortly after and keep calling them until you get a definate friendly or bandit call. Outlaw is no exception as I have killed friendlies that way.

You don't want to kill friendlies, that's fundamental so either VID or keep getting that AWACS call. If it's getting closer and you can't get a good call on it then break off the engagement.

THE LAST WAY YOU EVER WANT TO IDENTIFY A BANDIT IS BY MISSING YOUR CHANCE TO GET YOUR MISSILE OFF AND BY REALIZING TOO LATE THAT A MISSLE HAS JUST BEEN FIRED AT YOU.

That's why you extend from the bogey and maybe ask the picture again. Don't be afraid to get upclose and get a VID. If you are so stupid that you 'must' get another kill then you realistically have no place flying F-16s. Risking your skin to VID or maintaining lock on a bandit while you waist time getting AWACS ID will kill you.

Lesson?

Stay on your waypoints and engage only when you have to! Don't seek a fight if you're supposed to fight SAMs!

Words, such as liberal and liberty, all trace their history to the Latin liber, which means "free".
#1776133 - 09/15/06 03:48 AM Re: Wacky AWACS commander  
exhausted Offline
exhausted  Offline

none
BTW, I don't think it's a bug.... it's the frustrating fog of war modeled.

Words, such as liberal and liberty, all trace their history to the Latin liber, which means "free".
#1776134 - 09/15/06 04:15 AM Re: Wacky AWACS commander  
Shadowman 430 Offline
Shadowman 430  Offline

My HTS question was directly tied to a known bug with the 1.07 patch. (as Panther already notated) If you lock a radar in HTS, but do not break lock prior to engaging AA, most anything you then declare will have an AWACS response of "BOGEY", regardless of it being friendly or hostile. As previously mentioned (in an AA engagement), a Bogey is an unknown contact, not a confirmed hostile...

#1776135 - 09/15/06 05:22 PM Re: Wacky AWACS commander  
pharoah1 Offline
pharoah1  Offline

Unknown
To exausted:

i was not seeking a fight, i was making my egress and wanted to make sure my six was clear of bandits. When AWCS called out bogey at 315 degrees, it was right in my flight path, it was engage or die. Anyway, i will use the STT suggestion to ID aircrafts from here on. I am not inexperienced either, i have been flying sims since the mid '80's. Microsofts Gunship, Red Storm Rising, F-19. I hate visually identifing a target, that gives my enemy to much time to take offensive action, i like to fire from BVR, keeping my opponent on the defensive. Even if the REAL F-16 doesn't have an IFF system(i find that hard to believe from such a modern jet) i think it should be included in 4.0. It would ease some of the workload in the cockpit.

#1776136 - 09/15/06 09:19 PM Re: Wacky AWACS commander  
John P Offline
John P  Offline

MN, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by exhausted:

If you are so stupid that you 'must' get another kill then you realistically have no place flying F-16s.

He's not flying an F-16. It's a game ;\)

#1776137 - 09/16/06 01:27 AM Re: Wacky AWACS commander  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Quote:
Originally posted by pharoah1:
I hate visually identifing a target, that gives my enemy to much time to take offensive action, i like to fire from BVR, keeping my opponent on the defensive.
I know that this is just a sim, but one that we play to "simulate" really flying an F-16, so on the premise of this assumption, don't you think that if in a real F-16, with a bogey (unidentified a/c) on your 12 o'clock, and with no IFF, you'd rather risk doing a visual ID rather than firing on a neutral or worse, a friendly?

Personally, I'd go for a visual ID, but keep the bogey in my sights and with a missile ready for launch. If he launches at me, then I'm all for firing --- if he gets me, at least I got one for him.

- Ice
#1776138 - 09/16/06 06:22 AM Re: Wacky AWACS commander  
Nimits Offline
Hotshot
Nimits  Offline
Hotshot

United States of America
Quote:
Originally posted by exhausted:
If you are so stupid that you 'must' get another kill then you realistically have no place flying F-16s.
Not to be a jerk, but . . .

Unless you have actually flown combat in a Viper, you might want to rephrase that . . .

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Good F-35 Podcast
by RossUK. 04/08/24 09:02 AM
Gleda Estes
by Tarnsman. 04/06/24 06:22 PM
Food Safety and Bad Roommates
by KRT_Bong. 04/04/24 02:16 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.