Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#1772359 - 06/15/06 04:10 AM Re: New Tiles? (Not the 20$ ones)  
Bond Offline
Bond  Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by PumpyHead:
Quote:
Originally posted by Bond:
[qb] Well I'll be the first to admit, that I don't have any software skills and that I probubly won't have the time to make the mods, seeing as I am playing Army and all.
Good point.

Quote:
I don't care if the guy is God, he didn't MAKE the WHOLE game, the LEGAL rights do NOT belong to him they belong to LP.
Hehe, I don't know about idolizing Tom, but you certainly need to read up a bit on the legal aspects.

Firstly, it does not matter that Tom did not make the WHOLE game, he is only charging for what he did make.

Second, the legal rights do NOT belong to LP. The Falcon IP belongs to Atari Interactive and the license to work on Falcon is held by GraphSim Inc. LP is the developer. Any work by LP is of course their (GraphSim/LP) IP.

Quote:
But maybe you guys are right, maybe it IS worth the 20 or so dollars to get it, I guess since the run in with Xsoft that i have been lery of people who charge for thier mods to a game.
If you didn't like the story with Xsoft, you likely will not like the story with LP. If you're truly interested, you can certainly find numerous threads regarding LP's product here and at other sim sites such as Frugal's World.

Quote:
I can see you guys idolize this guy from what i have read he has done many things for you guys with AF of the org 4.0, hats off to the guy for all his hard work, like I said in SH3 and are run in with Xsoft it has enbittered people of charging for mods.
I do not believe it is idolizing Tom, but rather a correction of your misunderstanding. You said that Tom, the HiTiles creator, was unethical. I think you have been proven to be wrong in that assumption.

Quote:
I didn't want a flame war, I had no idea that you people believed in paying for something that just added a little extra pazaze to the game, if you ever visit the SH3 mod forums you might understand what I am getting at, but you probubly wont, and just dismiss me a some lunatic troll.
There is nothing wrong with debating the pluses or minuses of a particular mod or the fact that someone is charging for a mod.

There may be something wrong with making accusations without investigating the particulars beforehand.

-Cheers

-PumpyHead
Your right Pumpy, thats what I did, I jumped the gun. I hope every one here doesn't hold grudges to long, I'm going to need help handling this game. The AI planes are kicking my ass!

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#1772360 - 06/15/06 04:14 AM Re: New Tiles? (Not the 20$ ones)  
PumpyHead Offline
PumpyHead  Offline

I think you'll find a majority of the persons here ready and eager to help you ditch those AI planes.

Don't forget to use the "search" feature of the forum. ;\)

-PumpyHead

#1772361 - 06/15/06 04:23 AM Re: New Tiles? (Not the 20$ ones)  
HotTom Offline
HotTom  Offline

Phoenix, AZ, USA
Isn't this called "free enterprise?"

I never have minded paying for a good add-on to any sim.

Tom builds a product and offers it for sale at a very modest price (considering the hours that must have gone into it).

No one says you have to buy it. The sim flies just fine without it.

I bought it and figured it was an excellent value. To me, the extra realism (or eye candy, if you prefer) adds a great deal.

If you don't think it's worth the money, just take a pass on it. Nobody's putting a gun to your head. But why pee all over the guy who did the work and is offering (not demanding) it to you for sale?

Yup, I think "lunatic troll" pretty well covers it. Bond's words, not mine. \:\)

ttt

Exceptional engineering...and a large hammer to make it fit!
#1772362 - 06/15/06 07:39 AM Re: New Tiles? (Not the 20$ ones)  
Skater Offline
Skater  Offline

NYC
Hey Bond, for the last time... It's $12 NOT $20... $12.

;\)

-Skater

"As Iron Sharpens Iron, so does a friend sharpen a friend." Proverbs 27:17
"There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female, for ye are all one in Christ Jesus." Galatians 3:28
Never, ever, underestimate the ability of people to discount Occam's Razor. - Dart
"I don't want to abolish government. I simply want to reduce it to the size where I can drag it into the bathroom and drown it in the bathtub." - Grover Norquist
#1772363 - 06/15/06 08:47 AM Re: New Tiles? (Not the 20$ ones)  
Mudpounder Offline
Mudpounder  Offline

Uganda

#1772364 - 06/15/06 03:13 PM Re: New Tiles? (Not the 20$ ones)  
Cworth Offline
Cworth  Offline

Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally posted by Skater.:

;\)

-Skater
It is $12.00 AND $20.00 depending on how you get it.

To download it is $12.00..to get it on CD is $20.00.
Look at the bloody site and read it first before you try and correct someone.

This directly from the site....

The HiTilesAF come as PCX files in a zipped file (122 MB), by Electronic Delivery from our servers. A single user licence costs only USD 12, payment is available using a Credit Card, with PayPal or by sending cash over mail.

For low-bandwidth users, the HiTilesAF are also available on CD-ROM (USD 20).

People who think they know everything are very annoying to those of us who do.
#1772365 - 06/15/06 03:18 PM Re: New Tiles? (Not the 20$ ones)  
chronoPilot Offline
chronoPilot  Offline

Seattle, WA, USA
That's fine; Bond apologized.

Not every company is evil and out to steal your money. There's a large segment of the software-buying public that likes to 'stick it to the man' by not paying for anything and if people want to do that with sims, then sims will just go away. A lot of people have actually bought multiple copies of Falcon, just to support LP. LP is a small company composed of Falcon fans and for the amount of time we spend playing Falcon, $30 is a steal. That's a movie and dinner, to use ljazz's analogy. How many hours do we play Falcon?

Paying people for their work lets them devote more time to making products. The more money LP and the Third-Party developers make, the more future products we'll have. There's plenty of people out there making flight sims for free (I can think of at least two, but don't have the links for their pages handy...). These free flight sims are pretty impressive for one-man jobs, but they're no where near playable. A fully open-source sim might be viable (OpenFalcon), but the bar is very high for anyone starting from scratch. OpenFalcon began with a commercial product that was very far along. I'd be surprised to ever see a finished open-source flight sim that started from scratch.

Not by accident does Genesis 3 make the father of knowledge a serpent - H.L. Mencken
#1772366 - 06/15/06 03:35 PM Re: New Tiles? (Not the 20$ ones)  
Bond Offline
Bond  Offline

It could be worse Tom could work for Enron :p I glad this has finally settled.

#1772367 - 06/15/06 05:00 PM Re: New Tiles? (Not the 20$ ones)  
Skater Offline
Skater  Offline

NYC
Quote:
Originally posted by Cworth:
Quote:
Originally posted by Skater.:

;\)

-Skater
It is $12.00 AND $20.00 depending on how you get it.

To download it is $12.00..to get it on CD is $20.00.
Look at the bloody site and read it first before you try and correct someone.

This directly from the site....

The HiTilesAF come as PCX files in a zipped file (122 MB), by Electronic Delivery from our servers. A single user licence costs only USD 12, payment is available using a Credit Card, with PayPal or by sending cash over mail.

For low-bandwidth users, the HiTilesAF are also available on CD-ROM (USD 20).
Hey, CWORTH, check yourself... Bond was talking about downloading, not buying a CD and having it shipped. I have looked at the "bloody site" and I have read it. I've bought the tiles twice. Thanks for your decidedly unfriendly input.

-Skater

"As Iron Sharpens Iron, so does a friend sharpen a friend." Proverbs 27:17
"There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female, for ye are all one in Christ Jesus." Galatians 3:28
Never, ever, underestimate the ability of people to discount Occam's Razor. - Dart
"I don't want to abolish government. I simply want to reduce it to the size where I can drag it into the bathroom and drown it in the bathtub." - Grover Norquist
#1772368 - 06/15/06 05:24 PM Re: New Tiles? (Not the 20$ ones)  
CapnBly Offline
CapnBly  Offline

Western New York, USA
Bond...
I'm not sure what the whole hassle is about, and I had a feeling as soon as this can of worms was opened, it would turn into attitudes and elbows, and a big flame-war, lol.
Anyway, This is cut from the other thread you have going, and I thought it was pertinent here as well:

quote:Originally posted by Bond:
I can't see how you people paid twenty dollars just to make the trees that you fly over look real.........I guess some people just have more money than sense.:quote

response:( grins ) Me again.
No, I have a crappy 15yo SVGA monitor, and mid 40s semi-diabetic tired old combat vet eyes, lol.
Yes, paying cash for a fancy texture made me stop and think, but I had been told that if I was having trouble actually spotting the ground tagets, visually, a lot of people found that Tom's package helped out in making the launchers, tanks, etc, stand out a bit. I was so frustrated and struggling I decided to give it a try.
Never met "Tom", don't know him, or even of him.... but in all honestly, if he called me tomorrow and asked me for another 10-spot.... I'd count change out and roll quarters, lol. Gladly. His "work" is the primary reason I am able to do ANY A-G work, now.
Maybe not for everyone, but for me, it made a MAJOR difference.
My 2cents, I guess, lol :response

So... when all the smoke clears, it's really pretty simple.
If you want to live with the stock tiles, great.
If you want to work with adding in free tiles, and do the legwork and editing yourself, fabulous.
I paid the modest $12, and have not regretted a penny of it.
The rest of this entire thread is opinions, and a re-hash of the same old pay-vs-free debate.
Quite frankly, I have a reuptation for NEVER paying for software (grins). It always been a matter of principle for me.
Again... Tom got my $12, and would get it again. Regardless of what is right or wrong... Tom was an exception I am glad I "stuck my neck out" for.

v/R
CapnBly

"If it's too loud... you're too old!"
Intel865/P4-2.6(HT)/1GB(PC3200)/ATI-9200SE(128/AGP)/Guinness!
Falcon4:Allied Force(1.07)/TeamSpeak/HiTilesAF/Saitek X-52
#1772369 - 06/15/06 05:38 PM Re: New Tiles? (Not the 20$ ones)  
vegasbob Offline
vegasbob  Offline

Vegas
dude, Bond, you should pick your battles. It's $12. If you don't want to spend $12, that's cool, just don't whine about how someone shouldn't charge for some artwork. If you want to get tons of Add-ons for free, get Wings over europe or Strike fighter's project 1. you'll spend years just trying to get all the free stuff out there for that sim. With the time spent whining on this forum you could have already installed 8 different terrain theaters and 100 new aircraft. Get over it, if you want nicer terrain for AF, buy the hi-tiles. It's your only option. In my opinion, it's worth it.

#1772370 - 06/15/06 08:52 PM Re: New Tiles? (Not the 20$ ones)  
PaulB Offline
PaulB  Offline

Complaining over a $12 add-on. Wow.

I'm in awe you spent the money on the game

#1772371 - 06/15/06 09:38 PM Re: New Tiles? (Not the 20$ ones)  
20mm Offline
Site Emeritus
Honorary Forums Manager
20mm  Offline
Site Emeritus
Honorary Forums Manager
Sierra Hotel

Tucson AZ
FYI, here's our review of Tom's HiTiles for F4:AF,

http://www.simhq.com/_air4/air_132a.html

And with that, this one's closed.

Pat Tillman (1976-2004):
4 years Arizona State University, graduated with high honors.
5 seasons National Football League player, Arizona Cardinals.
Forever United States Army Ranger.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.