Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1741626 - 07/06/05 01:34 PM Rant: My local Kinkos is run by idiots  
Subguru Offline
Subguru  Offline

Alabama
This morning, I tried to get the pdf file of the F4:AF manual printed (1 copy, B/W double-sided) at my local Kinkos. They won't do it because it is copyrighted by Lead-Pursuit. The manager said I would need written authorization from Lead-Pursuit before they would print the file.

Morons!

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#1741627 - 07/06/05 01:46 PM Re: Rant: My local Kinkos is run by idiots  
pitbldr Offline
pitbldr  Offline

That bites! The Kinkos here didn't even mention it and I took the file in on a USB memory stick! I wonder if you show them your receipt or CD if that will suffice?

Telling you that you have to have written authorization is a little extreme I think. It's not like your having only one copy printed out to try and sell it. I could understand if you went in there and asked for 500 copies, but only one copy should not be a problem.

#1741628 - 07/06/05 02:01 PM Re: Rant: My local Kinkos is run by idiots  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'll be surprised if more people don't run into this. I tried getting a copy of a manual printed once back in Tampa. It was a copyrighted manual, but it was copyrighted by me (for a shareware program I developed). I had to provide ID before they'd do the job.

Copyright infringements ain't what they used to be.

#1741629 - 07/06/05 02:04 PM Re: Rant: My local Kinkos is run by idiots  
Chelco Offline
Chelco  Offline

Germantown, MD, USA
Those are awful news!
WTF are we suppossed to do then?

#1741630 - 07/06/05 02:08 PM Re: Rant: My local Kinkos is run by idiots  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Most of you shouldn't have a problem. But the solution is an LP or LP-sponsored, official, outlet for printed manuals. Until that happens, we're stuck with higher prices, and that's if we can have them printed at all.

And I would very much urge LP to do that. Clearly the need is there. Where there is a need, something will come along to fill it - legal or otherwise. Besides - LP - there's an opportunity to make a buck here.

#1741631 - 07/06/05 02:12 PM Re: Rant: My local Kinkos is run by idiots  
Joe Offline
Veteran
Joe  Offline
Veteran

Bridgewater, NJ
Quote:
Originally posted by Palace_Rat:
But the solution is an LP or LP-sponsored, official, outlet for printed manuals.
I would say the "solution" is not restricting our right to print a manual we payed for. As purchasers of AF we do have that right, don't we?

#1741632 - 07/06/05 02:20 PM Re: Rant: My local Kinkos is run by idiots  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe:
Quote:
Originally posted by Palace_Rat:
But the solution is an LP or LP-sponsored, official, outlet for printed manuals.
I would say the "solution" is not restricting our right to print a manual we payed for. As purchasers of AF we do have that right, don't we?
Apparently, you have that right if the local copy center says you have that right.

#1741633 - 07/06/05 02:23 PM Re: Rant: My local Kinkos is run by idiots  
Angel Eyes Offline
Angel Eyes  Offline

Greensboro, NC
Same thing happened to me when I tried to get the Lock-On manual printed out. Guess it depends on who is working the counter.

"When I'm paid, I always see the job through"
-Angel Eyes-
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
_ _ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _ _
Windows XP
AMD Athlon XP 2.6
ABIT AN7 Motherboard
1 GB Kingston Dual Channel DDR
Radeon 9800 Pro
Saitek X45
Falcon 4.0 AF
#1741634 - 07/06/05 02:31 PM Re: Rant: My local Kinkos is run by idiots  
Chelco Offline
Chelco  Offline

Germantown, MD, USA
I was wondering about those companies that allow you to self-publish your book.
A self-publisher company example

Can LP cut a deal with one of such low cost publishers? Or is it Atari's the owner of the copyright?

#1741635 - 07/06/05 07:39 PM Re: Rant: My local Kinkos is run by idiots  
Subguru Offline
Subguru  Offline

Alabama
I just called Lead-Pursuit and left a voice-mail, asking for written authorization from them to allow Kinkos to print out a copy of the manual for me. Hopefully, L-P will be more cooperative than Kinkos was

FOLLOWUP

Mr. Mike Kent from Lead-Pursuit returned my call and said he would be calling Kinkos with permission to process my print job. Well done, L-P!

#1741636 - 07/06/05 10:54 PM Re: Rant: My local Kinkos is run by idiots  
Bahger Offline
Bahger  Offline

LA, CA, USA
I just had a narrow escape...

Fellow in Stinkos had to check with his boss, who was about to bring the hammer down because (please note, anyone from LP reading this thread) there is no publisher's note in the manual specifically granting a one-off right to reproduce the document. However, I think the initial dude was a gamer, as he just grunted, waited for his boss to walk away, took a look at the PDF and said "ah, you're fine with this" and went ahead.

Interesting footnote: Can you guess what he quoted me for printing the manual out in color? $500. In B & W it was $40. I said, who on earth would pay that for a game document? Answer: Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas devotees, that's who. These guys have been printing out GTA in-game media like wanted posters at > $500 a pop. Probably selling them on ebay, which brings us full circle...

#1741637 - 07/06/05 11:04 PM Re: Rant: My local Kinkos is run by idiots  
Obizzz Offline
Obizzz  Offline

Gothenburg, Sweden
Quote:
Originally posted by Subguru:
I just called Lead-Pursuit and left a voice-mail, asking for written authorization from them to allow Kinkos to print out a copy of the manual for me. Hopefully, L-P will be more cooperative than Kinkos was

FOLLOWUP

Mr. Mike Kent from Lead-Pursuit returned my call and said he would be calling Kinkos with permission to process my print job. Well done, L-P!
Nice!

#1741638 - 07/06/05 11:09 PM Re: Rant: My local Kinkos is run by idiots  
Airdrop01 Offline
Chief Pheasant Controller
Airdrop01  Offline
Chief Pheasant Controller
Hotshot

Kansas, USA
This is crazy stupid. There is no prohibition on you printing the manual for yourself. It's called fair use. However, I suppose the title of the thread says it all - at least LP helped out!

"For I know the plans that I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11

Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Matthew 5:11

Indeed we call blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of the perseverance of Job, and you have seen the purpose of the Lord, because “the Lord is compassionate and merciful. James 5:11
#1741639 - 07/06/05 11:41 PM Re: Rant: My local Kinkos is run by idiots  
Trajan Offline
Trajan  Offline

I had Staples print the manual for Crown of Glory for me. No hassle at all.

As far as L-P calling, it wouldn't surprise me if Kinkos insisted they send a fax over with the written permission.

"We have come to bring you Liberty and Equality, but don't lose your head about it. The first one of you moves without my permission will be shot." Marshal of the Empire Francois Lefebyre
#1741640 - 07/07/05 12:24 AM Re: Rant: My local Kinkos is run by idiots  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Err, guys, why not print out the manual yourselves?

- Ice
#1741641 - 07/07/05 12:37 AM Re: Rant: My local Kinkos is run by idiots  
Joe Offline
Veteran
Joe  Offline
Veteran

Bridgewater, NJ
Quote:
Originally posted by ecienavxela:
Err, guys, why not print out the manual yourselves?
Depending on your printer and cartridges, it could easily be cheaper to have Kinkos print it. An unless you have a laser printer, it will almost certainly look better.

#1741642 - 07/07/05 04:02 AM Re: Rant: My local Kinkos is run by idiots  
Archangel Offline
Archangel  Offline

Canada, eh!
I just printed mine out with my Pixma 4000. Used all the Cyan and most of the yellow and magenta, but even with $40-ish worth of ink, it looks fantastic. I seperated the airport info and bound them seperately at staples. Cost $8 combined to get them bound including covers.

Looks simply great. Tied up the printer for a while, but darn, I'm tickled pink with the result.

#1741643 - 07/07/05 05:48 AM Re: Rant: My local Kinkos is run by idiots  
Nift Offline
Nift  Offline

Duluth, GA, USA
Just go to another Kinko's. They are as plentifull as McDonalds. Most employees would not catch the copyright. Especially if they are busy. ;\)

The one next to my house didn't give me any problems on some other manuals.

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction."
-- Blaise Pascal

"He who sacrifices freedom for security is neither free nor secure."
-- Ben Franklin

"If you try to idiot-proof a society, you get a society full of idiots."
-- Winston Churchill?
#1741644 - 07/07/05 01:02 PM Re: Rant: My local Kinkos is run by idiots  
Porkchop Offline
Porkchop  Offline

Parma, OH, USA
I also ran into a DOLT at Kinkos. Earlier, before I got the sim, I called ahead. The gamer who I talked to said no problem, however the brain dead who was working the counter couldn't figure out how to print the darned thing, and gave me a lame excuse, so she could blow me off, and resume talking to her fellow dolt employees. I told her, "no problem sweetheart, I'll find somebody who knows what they are doing to print it." (Tightened her jaws right up!)

Found a place close to the house, and they had it done in about 45 minutes!

Short and dirty. It depends on who is working the counter. Call ahead! Any reasonably competent printer can, and will gin one up for you in short order. FEDEX Kinkos isn't the only game in town. I put "printing" into my SBC Yahoo yellow pages. Even in Parma OH I got at least 10 hits within 2 miles of the house. If they have a web page they can most likely print it. Additionally you can even shoot the manual to them electronicly, over the net, and it can be waiting for you when you get there! How kewl is that? Call ahead!

I love it when a plan comes together. ~ H. Smith "The A-Team".
#1741645 - 07/08/05 05:52 AM Re: Rant: My local Kinkos is run by idiots  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Quote:
Depending on your printer and cartridges, it could easily be cheaper to have Kinkos print it. An unless you have a laser printer, it will almost certainly look better.
This leads me to the question: To those who've printed the manual in B&W double sided, how much did it cost ya?

Right now, I'm off to buy an ink refill kit, cheaper than having to buy another ink cartridge, especially if the old cartridge still has a few drops left in it. I'm a cheap ******* sometimes. \:\)

- Ice
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.