Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#1730118 - 10/10/06 12:08 AM Comms Page  
TheSilkMan Offline
TheSilkMan  Offline

Guys, every time I discover something in this sim it just "blows me out of the water." Last night I was doing some testing and I played around with the comms page a bit. I was going nuts because I was trying to figure out how to tell who's calling who over voice comms and how to effectively use the page. I kept hearing "Charlie 87 this is Delta 29" and could not find a clear reference to callsign name in the briefing. I checked the debrief and all but to no avail. No indication of your flights call sign. I got into the comms page and low and behold it was there(noted on page 2.40). The sim uses military alphabet and assigns your callsign based on your flight number which is displayed in the left most column of the comms page. C87 was my call#/name. The manual covers this but in a limited fashion. The comms page also shows who has completed or failed missions(not mentioned in manual). As pilots call out mission status complete or abort, you receive a modem uplink with the data indicating status as well. I'd pretty much not used the page much until this point but it is a very handy tool (Especially when things get hot and too many voice calls going on).

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#1730119 - 10/10/06 12:27 AM Re: Comms Page  
I B Spectre Offline
I B Spectre  Offline

Florida, USA
Also, when you're looking over the mission briefing, one of the subjects covered besides mission detail, friendly sitrep, enemy sitrep and weather (don't remember what the tab is called), you'll see the callsigns assigned to each flight. Each callsign is an alphanumeric and expressed as standard radio phonetic alphabet character and a number, usually with Flight 1 being the lowest number, progressing to the highest sequence number for Flight 4. Command and Control (C&C) callsigns will have a different alpha character than flight callsigns. As in your example, the human pilot in an offline flight seems to be the grand recipient of all radio traffic, therefore I assume you were Charlie 87 (callsign C87, pronounced "Charlie Eight Seven). Delta 29 (callsign D29, pronounced "Delta Two Niner") was probably C&C. If you were in Flight 1, callsign C87, you probably heard calls from C88 (Charlie Eight Eight), C89 (Charlie Eight Niner) and C90 (Charlie Niner Zero) notifying you of their sitrep. If you chose Flight 2 and were designated C87, Flight 1 would have been C88 and I imagine this may have been the case since the game usually doesn't mix callsign number sequences...they'll all be in the same group of tens (i.e., eighty-something or ninety-something).

#1730120 - 10/10/06 02:31 AM Re: Comms Page  
Franze Offline
Franze  Offline

The radio can be a very handy tool for finding out where the enemy is at and what's going on at his position. It gets especially handy when enemy aircraft are involved, which can either help you avoid them or help you kill them.

I've heard the "XYZ be advised, enemy aircraft have been detected in your area." from Shadow's stratospheric flight all too often.

#1730121 - 10/10/06 09:41 AM Re: Comms Page  
Shadow=ASP= Offline
Shadow=ASP=  Offline

Norway
Dont mock me. You know I do excellent recon work for you \:D

#1730122 - 10/10/06 12:42 PM Re: Comms Page  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
Also don't overlook the ABCCC download function:

Errr SHIFT-` (aka ~) or CTRL-~ or something.. I have it on my HOTAS so I forget the key sequence.

Basically this will populate your TSD with any unit seen by any asset. Of course, you won't see it if it is outside the range of the your TSD. It is a great way to use the AI flights as Scouts...and when you hear them engaged with SAMS, you can see the targets and help them out from long range with LOAL shots without unmasking.

I hit this function every so often throughout the Mission. In fact, though the KIOWA can't send PFZ's in Multiplayer, I am pretty sure that whatever targets the KIOWA (or other aircraft) sees will show up on your TSD when you request ABCCC targets. This might be a good workaround to enhance the KIOWA's scouting ability in MP.

Recluse

Long system spec sig follows:

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
MSI Z490 Plus Motherboard
Intel Core i7 10700K 3.8 GHz
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453
Thrustmaster RCS Rudder Pedals

#1730123 - 10/10/06 11:47 PM Re: Comms Page  
I B Spectre Offline
I B Spectre  Offline

Florida, USA
Great point, I'd forgotten about the ABCCC function. I'll be sure to capitalize on it from now on. Btw, that Briefing tab with the Flights' callsigns whose name I couldn't recall is "Communication & Signals"...duhh!

#1730124 - 10/11/06 04:31 AM Re: Comms Page  
TheSilkMan Offline
TheSilkMan  Offline

Ok, RL target handoff procedure for the Kiowa is as follows:

2. Procedures.
a. Target handover voice (not shooting/designating). The standard elements for target handover, voice engagement are--
(1) Alert and target description. This alerts the attack aircrew that a target handover is about to occur. It identifies the sender and describes the target (type, number, and activity); for example, "K13, this is K06 Target. Three tanks moving west."
(2) Target location. Gives the direction to the target in degrees and range from the battle position. It may reference from a known point (for example, the target reference line or the engagement area), use grid coordinates, or spot with a laser. An example is "120 degrees at 2,800 meters" or "offset left 030 degrees (code)."
(3) Attack method. Describes the planned scheme of maneuver, fire distribution, and maneuver for the attack; for example, "Attack targets west of north?south road."
(4) Execution. Gives the command to initiate the attack. The two commands are as follows.
(a) At my command. The attack aircrew engages when commanded to "fire."
(b) When ready. The attack aircrew fires when ready.
(5) Post attack method. The attack aircrew unmasks to evaluate the effect on the target and begins planning subsequent engagements. They describe ingress and egress routes for new positions; for example, "Move to holding area 4; on order, attack from battle position 21."
b. Target handover voice (remote designator). The standard elements for remote voice engagements are as follows.
(1) Alert and target description. This consists of the same information described in a(1) above, except the word "remote" is included in the transmission. An example is "B29, this is B4 Remote. Three tanks moving southwest."
(2) Target location. May reference from a laser target line if the designator position is unknown or use grid coordinates; for example, "Engagement area DOG, 030 degrees."
(3) Attack method. This includes the delivery mode, number of rounds, the laser code, if needed, and the time interval as appropriate.
(4) Execution. This tells when and how the attack is to be initiated. Remote missions are always "at my command."
NOTE: The P*/P should not give a fire command until he receives a "ready" message from the attack aircrew.
(5) Post-attack method. See a(5) above.
c. Digital engagements. The procedure for a digital engagement, ATHS/IDM is as follows.
(1) After locating the target with the LRF/D and verifying the grid coordinates, enter the appropriate mission request and transmit it to the attack aircrew.
(2) After receiving the appropriate message from the attack aircrew, send the fire command. Lase the target if required. When the target is neutralized, send an "end of mission" message with a BDA or an "unable to observe" message.
NOTE: If another target is located in the same area, an additional missile can be fired if the designator transmits "REPEAT, OVER" to the launching aircraft. If more than one additional missile is desired, the call should include the number of missiles, i.e. "REPEAT, THREE MISSILES, OVER".

#1730125 - 10/11/06 04:07 PM Re: Comms Page  
Franze Offline
Franze  Offline

Too bureaucratic. Much easier to say "Hey dudes, come blow those f***ing a**holes away in map grid D4, they're really getting on my nerves!".

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.