Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#1728487 - 02/10/06 08:27 PM Re: Longbow 2 eBay Rip-off, Legal Issues  
Franze Offline
Franze  Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Shadow=ASP=:
So the Yank girls require gold but us Euros are'nt as picky then \:D
Nah, we just get gold because we're Master Aviators and not WOJGs.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#1728488 - 02/10/06 10:47 PM Re: Longbow 2 eBay Rip-off, Legal Issues  
Phoenix Offline
Phoenix  Offline

It's funny. EA wants the rights, but they don't want to fix any of their compatability issues in LBA, WWII Fighters, jF-15, or JF-18. They obviously have no clue how much money they'd make if they rereleased some upgraded versions of the best flight sims ever made.

#1728489 - 02/11/06 12:39 AM Re: Longbow 2 eBay Rip-off, Legal Issues  
Franze Offline
Franze  Offline

Not as much money as they'd make rereleasing BF1942: Über Edition in a fancy box.

#1728490 - 02/11/06 03:01 PM Re: Longbow 2 eBay Rip-off, Legal Issues  
Reverant Offline
Reverant  Offline

Athens, Greece
Or

FIFA 2006: America Vs Europe

Or

NBA 2006 and 2007 and 2008 and and and...

Apache helicopter pilots kill mimes.
#1728491 - 02/11/06 10:28 PM Re: Longbow 2 eBay Rip-off, Legal Issues  
Franze Offline
Franze  Offline

Don't forget NFL 2006 and NHL 2006.

#1728492 - 02/12/06 08:19 AM Re: Longbow 2 eBay Rip-off, Legal Issues  
AV8R Offline
AV8R  Offline

Southern California USA
Chrono,

The owner of the IP's copywright is good for 75 years. Its not public domain, nor is it legal to hack open the binary, or to redistribute it for free or for sale as a new product. Resale of the original product is of course legal.

If anyone is making mods by opening up files probably dont want to hear that, but thats US copyright law. Now whether or not the IP owners care, or would ever persue a claim is a totally different story. Especially if they are off USA shores.

As far as the Ebay seller is concerned, if youve been had by false advertisement, Ebay has a process of recourse and you have feedback to give. Apart from that, its caveot emptor.

AV8R
#1728493 - 02/12/06 12:27 PM Re: Longbow 2 eBay Rip-off, Legal Issues  
Shadow=ASP= Offline
Shadow=ASP=  Offline

Norway
Quote:
Originally posted by AV8R:
...its caveot emptor.
What is this? Advanced English-class?
Dictionary
Quote:
The axiom or principle in commerce that the buyer alone is responsible for assessing the quality of a purchase before buying.
So I learned a few new words today too \:D

#1728494 - 02/13/06 08:27 AM Re: Longbow 2 eBay Rip-off, Legal Issues  
Franze Offline
Franze  Offline

It also means that the buyer, upon being thoroughly disappointed, can send a can of open sardines via snailmail back to the seller. While the result is typically not very good for buyer-seller relations, it does give the buyer a very high sense of satisfaction.

#1728495 - 03/03/06 08:09 PM Re: Longbow 2 eBay Rip-off, Legal Issues  
Platoon_Daddy Offline
Platoon_Daddy  Offline

Virginia USA
wow this sucks I just got LBA from him last night
I bet hes going to do the same thing to me. this needs to be addresed. I guess Ill ask my wife for legal advice and get her started with her new aquired skill(she just graduated from law school and passed the Bar)

#1728496 - 03/03/06 10:19 PM Re: Longbow 2 eBay Rip-off, Legal Issues  
Shadow=ASP= Offline
Shadow=ASP=  Offline

Norway
I wish you the best of luck and sincerely hope you can put this person in place.

#1728497 - 03/09/06 03:04 PM Re: Longbow 2 eBay Rip-off, Legal Issues  
Platoon_Daddy Offline
Platoon_Daddy  Offline

Virginia USA
here he goes again!! he already got 2 of us here
\:\(
DONT BUY FORM THIS GUY

http://cgi.ebay.com/Janes-LONGBOW-2-by-J...1QQcmdZViewItem
you need to really read between the lines with this guy

#1728498 - 03/09/06 03:15 PM Re: Longbow 2 eBay Rip-off, Legal Issues  
Platoon_Daddy Offline
Platoon_Daddy  Offline

Virginia USA
Quote:
Originally posted by chronoPilot:
Hey, I recently bought a copy of LB2 on eBay from 'moonieme'. Long story short, he sold me all the documentation on CD-R. Now, if LB2 is in the public domain, then I'm S.O.L, but if it's not, this guy just took copyrighted material and sold it to augment his sale. How can I find out who owns the rights to LB2 and stick it to this guy?

The details, if you're interested or if you think it's relevant, are that he had a picture of two legitimate disks and a strategy guide, but the description said all documentation was included, manual and all. *TRUE*, but the rest of the documentation was on disk. He had good ratings, so I 'trusted' he wasn't going to do something like this. Either way, this'll be the last time I do that. I'll go through things with a much finer-toothed comb from here on out. He had the nerve to write back and say that he said "A" manual was included, not "The" manual. Stay away from moonieme, as I believe he's using the strategy of consciously screwing 2 percent of the customers he deals with as he knows it won't significantly effect whether buyers buy from him or not and it allows him to increase his sales by 2%, or even more, if you consider his margins have to be better on products he can 'homebrew'.
hey chrno-
did you mutually removed negative feedback from ebay. The other day I saw your feedback but today it was not there. this guy did the same thing to me right after you. Im doing my best to at least get this guy ban from ebay or something.

#1728499 - 03/10/06 02:15 AM Re: Longbow 2 eBay Rip-off, Legal Issues  
AV8R Offline
AV8R  Offline

Southern California USA
This guys EBAY sale states:
-------
Here's what you get:
BOX
MINT 2 CD Original Version of Longbow 2 in Jewel
MINT 200+ page Spiral User's Manual and Reference Guide
MINT 2 side glossy Keyboard Reference Guide
MINT Installation and Troubleshooting Guide
MINT Multi-Player Operations Manual
-------

If what is being sold isnt the hard copies of the deliverables, orig CDROMs, plus the box as shown in the picture; then this sale is false advertisement.

If so, EBAY should be contacted to ban this guy.

AV8R
#1728500 - 03/10/06 05:02 PM Re: Longbow 2 eBay Rip-off, Legal Issues  
chronoPilot Offline
chronoPilot  Offline

Seattle, WA, USA
Well, see, Platoon_Daddy is going to have a better argument if moonieme screws him, because in this case, there are pictures of the manuals, etc. Also, he describes them as 'Mint', which to me, means 'Original, Great Condition'. Have you gotten the items yet Platoon_Daddy?

In some of moonieme's sales, like the one I bought into, he won't have pictures of the documentation and will state that you'll get 'a' manual and 'a' keyboard reference (as opposed to 'the'). This means you'll get electronic copies on a CD. He keeps his feedback rating high enough that people will buy from him, but every once in a while, he takes an item in his inventory and 'pads' it (like padding a bra...) so he can get a profitable price for it.

I think Platoon_Daddy will be okay since he's got pictures of the items moonieme is supposedly sending (sent? has it arrived Platoon_Daddy?), but I'm not sure what takes precedence on eBay - the picture or the description. If it's the description, you're going to want to clarify what 'Mint' means, since it could mean 'Not Used' and in that case, moonieme could (and will - he's very rude in his e-mails) argue that he never opened the 'manual.pdf' on the CDR he's sending you. :rolleyes: That's a 'Mint' PDF! \:D

FYI - I never got a response from EA as to who, if anyone, owns the rights to Longbow 2 and its documentation. If I had to guess, I'd say they still own it and moonieme is technically violating the copyright by selling the electronic copies as part of an eBay sale. However, for what I got, I feel I was entitled to a $10 rebate. I never followed it up because eBay can't force sellers to give discounts to unhappy customers. It was going to be too much of a hassle. I actually DIDN'T leave negative feedback for him, since I was only partially upset at what I received for the price I paid. I left him neutral feedback and that's quite a few pages into his feedback, now. You'll have to dig a bit. However, when he turned out to be such a jerk in his e-mails (accusing me of changing my ID because I had something to hide, after I could see from his ID history that he'd done the same, moreso than I), I had to leave some additional 'Replies' to my and his feedback and decided to notify eBay. I did notify eBay and they may have either given him a warning or fined him. eBay doesn't let you know what action they take as per their privacy policy.

Not by accident does Genesis 3 make the father of knowledge a serpent - H.L. Mencken
#1728501 - 03/10/06 05:50 PM Re: Longbow 2 eBay Rip-off, Legal Issues  
AV8R Offline
AV8R  Offline

Southern California USA
I sent an EBAY question to seller, and asked as to what specifically is he offering in this sale.
That is to say PDFs or actual original hardcopy manuals, etc.

No response back so far. I think he knows when hes been made. If he answers and delivers only copy CDROM and electronic documentation, then he is liable for false advertisement and subsequent Ebay action.

AV8R
#1728502 - 03/13/06 01:58 PM Re: Longbow 2 eBay Rip-off, Legal Issues  
Platoon_Daddy Offline
Platoon_Daddy  Offline

Virginia USA
i filed a complaint in ebay also. all i got was the LB2 cds and a pdf manual cd. like chronopilot says this guy, after he gets his money, is very rude. he will reply to your questions like you are 5 years old. I just hope that the community stop buying from this guy. You know we are the only ones buying this game for $40.00 plus. If you need the game please make an efort to buy from him as the last option

#1728503 - 03/13/06 02:42 PM Re: Longbow 2 eBay Rip-off, Legal Issues  
PositiveG Offline
Veteran
PositiveG  Offline
Veteran

Are his CD's burned copies or originals?

Sure hope they are originals, last thing we need is EA cracking down on our FAN sites.

#1728504 - 03/13/06 05:21 PM Re: Longbow 2 eBay Rip-off, Legal Issues  
Griff Offline
Griff  Offline

CA, USA
It was interesting to see that this same person was bidding against me on a full version offered by another seller. I'm assuming he was trying to get an actual copy with manual, keycards, etc. so that he could complete his own personal auction. Definitely strange.

Griff's Rig: Intel i7 4790K @ 4.4 Ghz, MSI Z97 MPower Max motherboard, nVidia GTX 780ti, 16 GB of Geil Trident 2400 MHz RAM, Windows 7, Warthog HOTAS, and Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.
#1728505 - 03/13/06 05:48 PM Re: Longbow 2 eBay Rip-off, Legal Issues  
chronoPilot Offline
chronoPilot  Offline

Seattle, WA, USA
WOW!! He actually had 'Mint' listed and had pictures of the actual manual... AND STILL SENT YOU A CD-R!?

If that's the case, we as a sim community need to blacklist this guy. Most of "moonieme's" sales are for flight sims and if I understand Platoon_Daddy correctly, then moonieme has truly crossed a line.

I believe a post needs to be made warning others about this issue on this and some other major simulation forums. I'm going to make a post in the 'General' Flightsim forum and the 'Community Hall' forum linking to this thread. I'm not registered elsewhere, but I think we can make a major dent in this guy's sales if some of you post on Frugal's and others.

I'm going to make a request to eBay that they break out a user's rating into 'Sales Rating' and 'Buyer Rating'. I have a feeling from looking at moonieme's comments that the majority of his positive reviews come from sellers he's bought from. I've a sneaking suspicion that people buying from him are NOT satisfied as much as his rating implies.

Not by accident does Genesis 3 make the father of knowledge a serpent - H.L. Mencken
#1728506 - 03/13/06 09:51 PM Re: Longbow 2 eBay Rip-off, Legal Issues  
GT182 Offline
GT182  Offline

The 1st State.... Delaware
I would think that if he's selling everything as mint, it had all better be in "unopened, unused" condition. Even once the box is opened it is no longer mint.

Member of Mid Atlantic Air Museum - Reading, Pa.

"War does not determine who is right- just who's left." Bertrand Russel
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.