#1725600 - 04/08/05 02:51 PM Re: LB2 modding - extracting files  
JoeyJoJo Offline
Wurkin' man
JoeyJoJo  Offline
Wurkin' man
Hotshot

Colorado high-country
Quote:

PS. Anyone knows how to make full screen screenshot of anything from LB2 running?
I did a search and also found a little util called MultiGrab http://www.mnwright.btinternet.co.uk/index.htm
You can take multiple screens at once without over-writing the previous one, save in different formats, and some other little goodies.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#1725601 - 04/08/05 04:00 PM Re: LB2 modding - extracting files  
PositiveG Offline
Veteran
PositiveG  Offline
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Polak:
Quote:
I have quickly run shp files found in OBJPICS.TRE with spr2bmp utylity and I confirm that it extracts nicely 2 bmp files from each *.shp file. Each of bmp is 640x480 color bitmap in indexed mode(EDIT)depicting 3-view drawing of 3D object and some kind of rendering of the same object. Sometimes only rendering is avaialable and not 3-view line drawing. Good resource for modeling. As Mario says, the palette is false.
This I can confirm: OBJPICS.TRE contains:photos, 3-view line drawing and small model which can be rotated - and all used in "Read Janes section". Likwise OBJTEXT.TRE - that text and technical spec database.

Eventhough I still have a problem to convert palette used by shp2bmp I can clearly identify photos and drawings, 3D models and text in the data spec windows.

PS. Anyone knows how to make full screen screenshot of anything from LB2 running?
Do you think that these objects are also used withing the 3D GAME or only for the Janes Manual?

#1725602 - 04/08/05 05:00 PM Re: LB2 modding - extracting files  
Keithb77 Offline
Keithb77  Offline

UK
The map files all appear to contain a set of 256 * 256 8-bit height maps, with a 2124-byte header.

I'm working with the Demo files, will check tonight if the real files are the same.

The file TER_hm.map contains 36 such hi-definition maps, as do TER_hx.map etc
but TER_l.map appears to contain 128 lower resolution maps.

Probably we need to print out the maps and play jigsaws.

My sfmap program should be able to import the files and turn them into bitmaps, will look at that.

Cheers,
Keith

#1725603 - 04/08/05 05:14 PM Re: LB2 modding - extracting files  
Polak Offline
Hotshot
Polak  Offline
Hotshot

New York, NY
Quote:
The map files all appear to contain a set of 256 * 256 8-bit height maps, with a 2124-byte header.

I'm working with the Demo files, will check tonight if the real files are the same.

The file TER_hm.map contains 36 such hi-definition maps, as do TER_hx.map etc
but TER_l.map appears to contain 128 lower resolution maps.

Probably we need to print out the maps and play jigsaws.

My sfmap program should be able to import the files and turn them into bitmaps, will look at that.
This information we need. I would love to look into those maps too. Do you think that RAW in Photoshop would do the trick, or your SFMap is the easier tool for that?

EDIT: Keith, would you care to give some short hint/tutorial how do you find size of the pic and header? I would love to learn that.

#1725604 - 04/08/05 05:23 PM Re: LB2 modding - extracting files  
Polak Offline
Hotshot
Polak  Offline
Hotshot

New York, NY
Some time ago I asked about any tools to help crack the files open. I guess judging form the lack of response there are not so many then.
But, there is one tool out there which is pretty popular. It is MultiEx Commander found here:
web page

After opening *.tre format I do not even think that we have any more "container" files to deal with in LB2. So perhaps then only 65-page manual accompanying the MultiEx could be very good source of "know how" in this matter and could be of some interest.

Any other similar tool? One never knows when such a find may come handy in modding.

#1725605 - 04/08/05 07:03 PM Re: LB2 modding - extracting files  
Keithb77 Offline
Keithb77  Offline

UK
Polack,
following your lead, I opened a map file as raw and guessed the width.
The actual width can be deduced from the tiling of images, the header length by counting the lines of random noise before an image starts.

Then a bit of arithmetic on file sizes etc.

The problem with opening a tiled raw image in PSP is you get a long thin ribbon of images - I was planning to create a 4-tile wide image for easy printing.
And programmed-manipulation shold be possible

Cheers,
Keith

PS the files I'm using come from the downloadable demo, the ones on the CD are compressed but much larger, I suspect when I get to the real files my numbers may be incorrect.

#1725606 - 04/08/05 08:19 PM Re: LB2 modding - extracting files  
Evil Lurker Offline
Evil Lurker  Offline

Oregon
Quote:
Fraps will run in the background and let you take screenshots or movie clips, plus give you a FPS counter in most (maybe all) games. Since the default keys are used by Longbow, I changed mine to ; for screenshot and ' for movie. The screenshots/movies are saved in the directory selected in FRAPS in the format you choose (BMP,JPG,PNG). It does a good job, but I have a hard time seeing the framerate counter under Glide at 1600X1200 for some reason.
FRAPS
I think you would like this method vs. copy/paste a bitmap.

A7N8X Dlx., 2700+@3200 settings, 9700Pro, Sony 17" Trinitron, Altec Lansing 2.1 speakers. WinXP Pro.
#1725607 - 04/08/05 08:29 PM Re: LB2 modding - extracting files  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Is it possible to take a look at wrapper.dle?
I know if I enable my pagefile again and wether I limit my RAM or not I always get "this program wil close bla-bla-bla... in wrapper.dle". When I have my pagefile disabled I don't need to limit my RAM.
I'm using 2GB RAM and WinXP SP2.
I took a quick look at wrapper.dle and didn't detect any problematic issues, other than the usual GlobalMemoryStatus call. No suspect Heap calls that i can see. Are you applying the GlobalMemoryStatiusLie fix? Looks like this should do the trick here... If nothing else works, i can give you my little testing program to help determine if GlobalMemoryStatus is the one to blame here.

Great work with the terrain files guys! \:\)

Mario

#1725608 - 04/09/05 08:32 AM Re: LB2 modding - extracting files  
Keithb77 Offline
Keithb77  Offline

UK
I've put a zipped BMP image of TER_hx.map from the demo on my site

The map data is tiled 6 x 6, my program turns it into a single coherent image and saves as a BMP.

Need to test it on the retail files, then I'll upload the program.

Next step will be manipulating the data.......

Cheers,
Keith

#1725609 - 04/09/05 10:52 AM Re: LB2 modding - extracting files  
PositiveG Offline
Veteran
PositiveG  Offline
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith Bedford:

The map data is tiled 6 x 6, my program turns it into a single coherent image and saves as a BMP.

Cheers,
Keith
Nice! I have a stupid question, if this is the "skin" for the terrain, what files hold the 3D wire frame (if that's the concept)?

Has anyone determined how the objects in the game are placed? Like buildings, etc.

I'm curious if we can add more buildings and perhaps thousands of trees!!! ;-)

#1725610 - 04/09/05 11:45 AM Re: LB2 modding - extracting files  
Polak Offline
Hotshot
Polak  Offline
Hotshot

New York, NY
Quote:
Nice! I have a stupid question, if this is the "skin" for the terrain, what files hold the 3D wire frame (if that's the concept)?

Has anyone determined how the objects in the game are placed? Like buildings, etc.

G+,
I am afraid it is the other way around, those geyscale maps ARE the hights. Intensity of grey in each pixel represent the hight, black being min, white max and shades of grey all in between.

All of the 3D objects must carry coordinates which allow them to be placed in LB2 world. This data yet to be uncovered.

The last one may be a pretty "tall" order. How to place the tree, if there is no tree model here (AFAIK). And yet, you want thousands of them.

But as they say "if there is a will ... there is always a way". Hopefully.

#1725611 - 04/09/05 12:04 PM Re: LB2 modding - extracting files  
Polak Offline
Hotshot
Polak  Offline
Hotshot

New York, NY
Quote:

What are parameters of raw and what about all other terrain files? What is 6x6?

Manipulating data in this setup (rasterized hightmap) is really blessing...

web page
web page

#1725612 - 04/09/05 12:33 PM Re: LB2 modding - extracting files  
PositiveG Offline
Veteran
PositiveG  Offline
Veteran

Quote:
Quote:

G+,
I am afraid it is the other way around, those geyscale maps ARE the hights. Intensity of grey in each pixel represent the hight, black being min, white max and shades of grey all in between.
OK.

I thought there was already replacement terrain where everything is higher (from Hatchet and Flexman)? So that would mean that smeone's already figured this part out and may already have tools available to mod the terrain.

I wonder if they'd share.

So it appears we have terrain getting sorted out.
The Janes manual sorted out.

What would we really like to see changed?

I'd like to see better looking skins on the targets, maybe a new terrain set, something mountainous, with lots of trees (maybe a ficticious Russian campaign). Higher polycount objects, etc. Less shake in TV mode (when heads down), something to even out the flow of the game (i.e.no Turbo mode required, etc).

It's fun to dream..

Maybe since I'm no where near being able to actually hack this game like you guys, I'll try to be your beta testers for any "fixes" you come up with. In the meantime, I'll look into documenting multiplayer TCP/IP communication for Recluse.

#1725613 - 04/09/05 12:38 PM Re: LB2 modding - extracting files  
Polak Offline
Hotshot
Polak  Offline
Hotshot

New York, NY
Quote:
It's fun to dream..
O yeah , man .... I agree.

web page

#1725614 - 04/09/05 01:47 PM Re: LB2 modding - extracting files  
PositiveG Offline
Veteran
PositiveG  Offline
Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
It's fun to dream..
O yeah , man .... I agree.

web page

Now that's dreaming in technocolor. It would be too cool if LB2 opened up enough to include just a fraction of that terrains quality!

#1725615 - 04/09/05 02:15 PM Re: LB2 modding - extracting files  
PositiveG Offline
Veteran
PositiveG  Offline
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by HCl:
[QUOTE]
Great work with the terrain files guys! \:\)

Mario
Yes, great work.

I have a quick question Mario, what would cause the game to "hang" when you exit missions or exit to the OS?

I'm usually lucky and can ALT+TAB out, start
task manager, then kill the LB2.exe process.

Just wondering why it's doing this. Has anyone else seen this issue?

#1725616 - 04/10/05 04:10 AM Re: LB2 modding - extracting files  
Evil Lurker Offline
Evil Lurker  Offline

Oregon
Quote:
I thought there was already replacement terrain where everything is higher (from Hatchet and Flexman)? So that would mean that smeone's already figured this part out and may already have tools available to mod the terrain.
I think that the terrain base height is set by this parameter in the CA.INI file:

[NTC]
TerrainHeight=28

[AZR]
TerrainHeight=50

I believe this is an offset from "sea level", so it rises and lowers the map set. I'll try changing it to something else and see if I can determine how much 1 unit is. Let me get back to you on this after UFC is over. ;\)

A7N8X Dlx., 2700+@3200 settings, 9700Pro, Sony 17" Trinitron, Altec Lansing 2.1 speakers. WinXP Pro.
#1725617 - 04/10/05 04:59 AM Re: LB2 modding - extracting files  
JoeyJoJo Offline
Wurkin' man
JoeyJoJo  Offline
Wurkin' man
Hotshot

Colorado high-country
i think updated models/skins/buildings is something I would like to see; maybe some new vehicles/aircraft too. Also, a new cockpit!! Since we can run the game in hi-res, there should be room for all of the guages, dials, etc. And the Up-Front Display wont be a tiny box that can only display one line of text, hehe

#1725618 - 04/10/05 07:06 AM Re: LB2 modding - extracting files  
Evil Lurker Offline
Evil Lurker  Offline

Oregon
Okay, I was off on the parameter effect in the CA.INI file. It is actually a multiplier ratio for the terrain height data. Here was the effect:
TerrainHeight=0 sets you to 0 (sea level) and the terrain is totally flat (like water)
TerrainHeight=1 sets you to 38 and the terrain is flat (though I'm sure it has SOME height variability)
TerrainHeight=2 sets you to 75 with (visibly) flat terrain
TerrainHeight=50 (default) = 1893 with normal mountains
TerrainHeight=100 = 3786 with doubled height of mountains.
That makes me conclude that the data point for the FARP I was testing from is a value of 37.86 and the multiplier is used to scale the elevation of the terrain to correspond to the (8-bit?) range of the Digital Elevation file without clipping. The one thing that seems missing here is the parameter that sets the minimum level in the map (what happens to the data that is < the lowest elevation in the height file, I'm fairly sure they don't discard the use of their full range by not using it). For example, if the file IS 8 bit, 0-255, you would want to use 1 to correspond to minimum map elevation and 255 to correspond to max map elevation, plus helicopter or Hellfire ceiling, I would think. Make any sense?

#1725619 - 04/10/05 07:58 AM Re: LB2 modding - extracting files  
Keithb77 Offline
Keithb77  Offline

UK
EL,
I think you are on the right track.
The .map files are 8-bit heights, ie 0 to 255.
Not sure how values of 1893 and 3786 are derived unless there is a magic fractional number applied globally too?

I've written a program to display the heights as a relief map and save as a bitmap file that can be opened in a paint program.
The height files are 'tiled' in 256 * 256 byte tiles. The data for the upper left-hand tile comes first, then the next tile. Most of the files have 36 tiles in a 6 x 6 array, the bigger files are 2 x many or 8 x many, maybe some others.
I suspect Longbow keeps a single tile in memory at any time, or maybe 9 tiles?

The program is easy to use and can be found here on the Longbow page.

I'm thinking of adding a height manipulation capability, it would be easy to change the height files, but any objects placed on them would presumably be misplaced.

I cant run LB2 yet to investigate. Need to get it working on Win2K!

I think we need to identify an exact point on a map and compare its height in-game with the data from the map file. I can make a version of the program that displays point heights if that helps.

Cheers,
Keith

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.