Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1722365 - 08/04/06 04:03 PM Couple of silly questions  
Jester_159th Offline
Jester_159th  Offline

West Yorkshire
Hi all,

Just got BOB2 after reading all the positive comments about the latest patch. Very mpressed so far with what I've seen but I've got a couple of (potentially) silly questions:

1. Bf109. I can't seem to find a way to fire the wing mounted guns.

2. What is the accepted way to counter the massive sudden swing on take off? It's not too bad in the Hurricane or Stuka, but in both the Spit and 109 it seems that even full opposite rudder doesn't completely cancel it out. Am I missing something or is it just a case of practice?

3. Talking of the Spit; I can't even get it off the ground. No matter what I try the right wing dips viciously at the same moment the gyro effects cause the swing mentioned above and nothing seems to stop it striking the ground and causing the plane to crash.

Thanks in advance.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#1722366 - 08/04/06 05:00 PM Re: Couple of silly questions  
NealG Offline
NealG  Offline

Tracy, Ca USA
Jester; I cannot answer number one off the top of my head, but if you download the revised manual, your answer should be in there. I fly only the Spitfire and Hurri, but I do remember there is a command for gun selection...just don't remember what it is.

As to your second and third queries, try this:

Turn off Wind Gusts -- Turn Off Wind Effects -- try the takeoff. See if it is any better. Those two effects are being looked at as possibly requiring adjustment in the next update.

It can still be done with these on, but it is generally acknowledged that it may be more difficult than it 'should' be ( 'should' of course being subjectively relative, hehe ). Almost everyone has some difficulty in Spitfire takeoffs and landings, though, with BoB2.

You may also want to try torque/Slipstreaming off, but that seems to have less effect so far in tests. In addition, the FM of the Spitfire as it pertains to takeoffs/landings is being examined to see if that might be tweaked some in a future update.

In the interim, though, try turning those 2 wind settings off ( found in Options>Sim, IIRC ).

NealG
I will not lead, nor will I follow, and if you want to come through here you have 3 choices: go around; ask nicely; or bring a lunch -- you'll be here a while.
#1722367 - 08/04/06 06:35 PM Re: Couple of silly questions  
Buddye1 Offline
Buddye1  Offline

South East,Texas,USA
Hi, and wecome to BoBII.

1. You can hit the "N" key repeatablity to select the Canon or the MG or both.

2.and 3., NealG is corect. Set wind gust=off, wind effects=off and slipstream=off. These are all in the GUI.

Please download a 2.04 Users Manual in the Sicky thead above as most all the switch setting are now documented.

Follow the following thread for the Spit FM analysis that is now in progress to address landings/takeoffs in the SPIT with a focus to reduced landing speed. We welcome your review and comment if you have the interest and time:

http://shockwaveproductions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5778

Intel I7 920 processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro thanks to BobII crew.
#1722368 - 08/04/06 06:59 PM Re: Couple of silly questions  
Jester_159th Offline
Jester_159th  Offline

West Yorkshire
Many thanks for the replies guys. I found the key for the guns....... Right after reading Buddye's post \:D

I'll give it a go with those different settings. Been pretty impressed so far (even though I'm just getting into it). Very much looking forward to diving into the campaign!!

#1722369 - 08/05/06 06:54 AM Re: Couple of silly questions  
Bader Offline
Veteran
Bader  Offline
Veteran

Bletchingley, Surrey, UK
I would suggest that the key thing in the Spit is to feed the power in gradually. If you do things too fast it all goes wrong. And use of rudder and aileron to catch wingdrop helps too.
An article in this month's Flypast caught my attention. It was about the Seafire that has just been put into the air- the UK's only one. The pilot comments that full aileron is used as well as rudder to counter the Griffon's torque. Now it's not a Merlin, but it raises an interesting point..

"Ah yes, Michael (Parkinson)," Bader replied, "But these Fockers were Messerschmitts..."

BDG BoB Developers Group: Eleven! years of passion for historical recreation of the Battle of Britain.
#1722370 - 08/05/06 12:12 PM Re: Couple of silly questions  
Jester_159th Offline
Jester_159th  Offline

West Yorkshire
I'll have to keep trying with the Spit. I still haven't got it off the ground (after turning off both wind gusts and effects). Interesting comment about the Seafire, Bader, I never knew any of the Spit variants had this tendancy. Looks like I better keep working on correcting my poor technique!!

In the meantime I'm having a blast learning the Hurricane's caperbilities (and playing around with the 109 and Stuka if I feel like a walk on the dark side!!!! \:D )

EDIT:

Sorry, forgot to mention: While learning to fly the Hurri I found myself over London and decided to do a bit of sight-seeing. I was very impressed with some of the building models then I found Tower Bridge and couldn't resist....So I decided to fly through it (between the roadway and upper walkways). I got through fine, but then my plane exploded. Is this a normal part of the code (ie open buildings are treated as being solid) or is it a bug?

#1722371 - 08/05/06 06:09 PM Re: Couple of silly questions  
Buddye1 Offline
Buddye1  Offline

South East,Texas,USA
On the Spit set SlipStream = OFF and you should do fine.

You plane should not explode unless you collide with a object "hitbox". We will need to get one of our modder to give it a try.

Stickman you done this fly through the bridge trick?

Intel I7 920 processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro thanks to BobII crew.
#1722372 - 08/05/06 06:24 PM Re: Couple of silly questions  
Jester_159th Offline
Jester_159th  Offline

West Yorkshire
It's actually pretty easy in a single seater. As you can see I was slightly off centre but well clear of any part of the actual structure.

I paused the sim to grab this screenshot, my plane exploded about a second after re-entering the cockpit and unpausing the sim.

#1722373 - 08/05/06 07:00 PM Re: Couple of silly questions  
Buddye1 Offline
Buddye1  Offline

South East,Texas,USA
Nice Pic,

The hitboxes extend in all directions depending on the object (and we have had problems with some objects the latest was trees).

Looks like you may be a bit close to the right hand side in your pic (hard to say for sure without drawing the hit boxes). Give it another try a bit more in the middle or the bridge.

#1722374 - 08/05/06 09:05 PM Re: Couple of silly questions  
Jester_159th Offline
Jester_159th  Offline

West Yorkshire
Just tried it again in a Spit this time (as you suggested turning off the torque effects sorted it out for the time being although I'll keep trying to master the Hurricane with Torque on..makes life interesting!!), No screenshot this time, but straight through the middle (I think) and the plane exploded.

Not a major issue though and certainly not worth taking any time over (unless you have some spare.....!!). Afterall, I can't see Fighter Command looking too kindly on a fighter pilot pulling a stunt like that in the middle of London in reality anyway!!

BTW, I'm just starting to get into the campaign side of it. Brilliant stuff. I'm absolutely loving it!! Many thanks.

#1722375 - 08/05/06 10:43 PM Re: Couple of silly questions  
Buddye1 Offline
Buddye1  Offline

South East,Texas,USA
We will add it to our work list as everyone needs to be able to do it. We are busy now with MultiSkin so may be awhile.

Yes, with SlipStream=off the Spit does alot better with takeoffs. We are now working on the SPIT FM on the Shockwave forum (if you are interested) to help takeoffs and landings. You can participate if you have the time.

BTW, thanks for trying again for me.

#1722376 - 08/06/06 03:16 AM Re: Couple of silly questions  
Jester_159th Offline
Jester_159th  Offline

West Yorkshire
Thanks Buddye. I've registered on the Shockwave forums today and am now just waiting for an activation e-mail to arrive.

Anything I can do to help, just let me know.

#1722377 - 08/06/06 04:11 AM Re: Couple of silly questions  
Buddye1 Offline
Buddye1  Offline

South East,Texas,USA
BTW, here is a note from Scott concerning his forum problem:

We have been bombarded with SPAM registrants so it is difficult to tell who is a real person registering and who is a SPAM registrant.

If your account does not get activated in a timely manner, email db[at]shockwaveproductions.com and request your account to be activated.

Scott.

#1722378 - 08/06/06 02:48 PM Re: Couple of silly questions  
Jester_159th Offline
Jester_159th  Offline

West Yorkshire
Yeah, I'd noticed that on the Shockwave forums. Hope I've not been too impatient, but I just sent an e-mail to that addy.

Many thanks for the advice.

#1722379 - 08/06/06 09:24 PM Re: Couple of silly questions  
Dumbo Offline
Dumbo  Offline

Titletown USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Jester_159th:
Talking of the Spit; I can't even get it off the ground.
Here's how I do it...your mileage may vary \:\) :

1) Hit "Shift+F11" to get the wide-angle cockpit view. I like to be able to see the wing roots on take-off and landing in order to gain a better sense of balance.

2) Advance rudder trim FULL RIGHT. There's a little wheel in the cockpit just to the left of the pilot's seat that turns when you do this. Keep cranking until it won't turn anymore (NOTE: I don't use the interactive cockpit.).

3) Advance elevator trim ONE CLICK DOWN.

4) Set your prop pitch to MINIMUM (FINE) for the highest RPM. There's a black lever just to the front left of the pilot's seat...make sure it's in the FORWARD position.

5) Release brakes.

6) Advance throttle slowly but don't be shy. I usually kick her into maxium within just a few seconds of rolling.

7) I do NOT use the ailerons to correct wing dip. I find the rudder to be more effective. If the wing starts dipping to the left, apply right rudder...and vice versa.

8) Once the tail is off the ground and you've picked up enough speed, pull back gently on the stick.

9) Take off.

Hope this helps!

Dumbo
pilot

Intel Core i7-6700 processor 3.4 Ghz
Asus Strix GeForce GTX960 4GB graphics card
Kingston 240GB SSD hard drive
Gigabyte Z170X GAMING 3 mobo
Cougar RS 650 watt power supply
Kingston 8GB PC4-2133 desktop RAM
Windows 10 Premium 64 OEI
24" Dell LCD monitor
CH Fighterstick/ProPedals
TrackIR 5-Pro
#1722380 - 08/07/06 03:12 PM Re: Couple of silly questions  
Jester_159th Offline
Jester_159th  Offline

West Yorkshire
Thanks Dumbo. I'm working on it (mind you, considering how many Spits I've crashed so far, if this was real life I'd have been shot as a spy or received the Iron Cross by now!! I think the RAF would like me to transfer to the Infantry!! )

While I'm at the newbie questions, I've seen something called "Multiskin" refered to fairly often both here and on the Shockwave forums. What is it?

#1722381 - 08/07/06 03:58 PM Re: Couple of silly questions  
Buddye1 Offline
Buddye1  Offline

South East,Texas,USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Jester_159th:

While I'm at the newbie questions, I've seen something called "Multiskin" refered to fairly often both here and on the Shockwave forums. What is it?
Here is a short set of words from Scott's thank you note on the Shockwave Forum:

BOB2 2.04 is about the future. This is the foundation in which many great things will come. Consider BOB2 2.04, Phase I. Phase II will deliver Multiskin (2.05). Multiskin (2.05) is where actual aircraft fly with authentic period paint. When you see a particular aircraft in flight, that aircraft actually took off from its historical airfield and is taking part in a historically accurate mission role - and you are there to witness it all first hand. In the tradition of BOB2, these aircraft exist inside a living and breathing campaign that is 100% pure dynamic - 100% pure life, reacting and adjusting to the environment. Every bomb that is dropped and even a single bullet that finds its target has lasting impact, and may ultimately change the course of history. The campaign is, just flat out, an amazing world to experience, and like life itself, will never play out the same way twice.

MultiSkin (2.05) should be delivered in the short term if we can smash some bugs.

#1722382 - 08/07/06 05:15 PM Re: Couple of silly questions  
Jester_159th Offline
Jester_159th  Offline

West Yorkshire
That is fantastic.

I'd have to say that as an all round package, the money I spent buying BOB2 is fast turning into the best I've EVER spent on PC software!

I've been getting into the campaign and with the level of immersion I've found there, two nights running I've lost track of time and ended up only getting to bed after 3:00am. Now I thought that was impressive enough (my wife didn't though.... she hates me at the moment!! ;\) ), but it sounds like Multiskin is going to take things to a whole new level. I'll be very much looking forward to it's release.

#1722383 - 08/08/06 07:41 AM Re: Couple of silly questions  
Bader Offline
Veteran
Bader  Offline
Veteran

Bletchingley, Surrey, UK
Ah yes, those late night campaign sessions. They drag you right in, don't they?
At least your wife knows where you are. Well, physically at least, if not mentally.. ;-)
Mine has never quite caught onto the nuances of all this and tends to refer to the fact that I am 'bombing Germany'. Somewhat of an inaccuracy, obviously.

What is great about the campaign with Multiskin is that you come across an aircraft and it will be wearing the specific colours and markings that identify it uniquely.

This is extremely helpful as you reform from large battles-just finding an aircraft from your squadron can be a huge relief.

"Ah yes, Michael (Parkinson)," Bader replied, "But these Fockers were Messerschmitts..."

BDG BoB Developers Group: Eleven! years of passion for historical recreation of the Battle of Britain.
#1722384 - 08/11/06 12:14 AM Re: Couple of silly questions  
Tonester Offline
Tonester  Offline

Perth West Aust
Its funny, im reasonably certain that most things i have read say that the Spitfire was almost viceless for getting off the ground..and landing!!??!!..get the tail up and she should just lift off.....is it possible that this aircraft has been a lil overmodelled?....or is it just a matter of tweaking the 'wind gust'?....

I must admit it is hard to get up and down in this sim....i dont have anywhere near the trouble in most other sims, even in 'Sim of Sims' IL2....is it overmodelled or is ALL other sims undermodelled?(might open a can of worms here so i apologize in advance)

Intel i7 9700KF  Processor 3.60 GHz - ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX Motherboard - Win 10 Pro 64 bit - 32Gb G.Skill Sniper X 3600MHz DDR4 Ram - RTX2080 Super Dual OC 8Gb -  Crucial P1 NVMe M.2 1TB SSD - Samsung 860 QVO 7mm 2.5" 2TB SSD - TM Cougar - 2 x Saitek Quadrants - Saitek Yoke - Saitek Pedals - CH Quadrant - TrackIR 5.0 - Phillips 32” Monitor - HyperX 7.1 Headset - HP Reverb Pro
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.