Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 600 of 608 1 2 598 599 600 601 602 607 608
#4502018 - 12/30/19 11:19 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) **** [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

A text from Roger made my day.
Apparently he is feeling better; he sounded better.
Hopefully I'll be able to scribble a bit more later, but right now I best get in the kitchen and do something with that fish.

Just wanted to pass on the news. This thread is not dead yet. band

Last edited by Fittop; 12/30/19 11:19 PM.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4502100 - 12/31/19 03:08 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

A Happy New Year to us all. Nothing much to report from here. My New Years Eve will be as quiet as the neighbours allow, luckily the neighbourhood is somewhat and relatively restrained in terms of making things go boom in the dark on this night. Unlike some areas in central Copenhagen where misfits have taken to the habit of pointing and throwing fireworks at innocent bystanders and unsuspecting victims. In my humble opinion such people should be read the entire riot act from front to end and then again in reverse. Hopefully they have been dealt with so we will see no more such dreadful acts of stupidity.

I'll probably be watching a new series biographing the life and times of our former King of Denmark, Frederic IX. Following international TV successes such as The Crown and Victoria, someone thought it would be a good idea to do a cash in on a popular format.

Fittop; it is a great relief to know that you are in contact with Roger and able to relay his progress. Thank you so much for that.

Attached Files Happy-New-Year-2020-Gold-Fireworks-christmas-bulbs-Greetings-Card-for-or-Mobile-phones-Tablet-and-PC-3840x2160-915x515.jpg

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4502169 - 12/31/19 10:35 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

Happy New Year to all! May it be a wonderful year.

It's an hour to the start of the New Year for our friends on the east side of the Atlantic.
It just snuck up on me. I'm heading for the shower and to put a bottle of bubbly in the fridge.

Sorry MG about the idiots throwing fireworks at other folks. Even the little ones can do some damage.

Fireworks are not a big a problem here as are the firearm discharges.
Last year I thankfully only heard one or two in the distance.

May it be a Happy and Safe New Year for all. Enjoy!

#4502373 - 01/02/20 01:37 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Happy New Year everybody!

We survived our first two bookings quite well and had a good time on New Years Eve also with the promise of repeat gigs.

We don't want to take too much on. Just enough to have something to look forward too. One or two a month will be fine.

Maybe we will receive JRT's next post in the very near future. Really hope so.

'Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant.'

Manfred von Richtofen
---------------------------

#4502981 - 01/07/20 08:03 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all:

A Very happy New Year to all. And a Happy Birthday to someone here!
This first full week after the holidays means playing catch-up on so much.
May some lucky ones be proud of their tans as they once again hoist warm clothes on their body.

Have been lucky enough to talk with Roger. Apparently that short visit home did his spirits a lot of good.
He has been doing some reading there, but as we all know, there is no place like home.

Congratulations to Dux on the successful gigs. It's got to be a nice feeling to know your music is enjoyed by others.

Little news from here. There was only one loud report that I think was fireworks here. The bubbly took a couple of days to be finished.
But it was kept cold and the bubbles persisted to the end.
I will have to look further in the forum to properly set up the new rudders Santa brought me.

#4503336 - 01/10/20 08:38 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Chaps,

Thanks Fittop! We all had a good time and are looking forward to our next bash at the end of the month.

Delighted to receive an email from Rog. Looks like he will soon be back with us. In the meantime he can count on our best wises for a full recovery. salute

Manfred von Richtofen

#4503750 - 01/14/20 03:01 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

It did seem that the first full week of work in the New Year seems longer than planned.
If one overdid the spending, even longer.

But the traffic seems lighter somehow and the restaurants not quite so crowded.
OK, it does seem some folks have doubled up on their silly, not to say dumb, pills.

But we are all catching up on things we've neglected during the holidays, not to mention the added tasks of the new year.
Can it be income tax time again?

Tried to call Roger yesterday but might have been a bad time for him to talk. Will try again today.
I am also looking forward to reading his thoughts here.
Meanwhile, stay well and pass out smiles.

Update: Apparently some sort of "flu?" is going through the facility.
Very short conversation with Roger. He will call when able.

Last edited by Fittop; 01/15/20 02:23 PM. Reason: Update
#4504019 - 01/17/20 10:44 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

Greetings all around and especially to Roger.

Tax time indeed is upon us. I've had nasty surprises previously so hopefully I'm sufficiently padded economically this season to just hand over the money without raiding the savings or the money for this year's holidays. 'Tis also the season for housing taxes so it is a pretty expensive period.

Speaking of sharks, and I believe someone just did, I was reminded of the time Roger, Dux and I found ourselves in the Pacific Ocean I mean literally, in the Pacific Ocean. If I remember correctly we had been lured to the region by Olga, perhaps Dux can dig the sordid details from his mind if they have not faded in the fog of time, but we were concerned about the number of sharks suddenly privy to our precarious position. Dux wanted to take them on by thrusting a harpoon into them, Roger presented a gun, announcing that he had taken great care to keep the ammunition dry, and I produced an experimental Taser proclaiming that this new equipment would have the advantage of killing the sharks without drawing their blood, thus avoiding attracting even more of the blood-lusting sharks.

Before we could put each method to the test and decide which worked best, Fittop and Oldgrognard flew to the rescue in a PBY.

In other business, I'm thinking of getting a race horse and calling it Gorn Myson just to hear the announcer saying "Go on My Son".

The flu apparently has also found it's way here as I am slightly under the weather, going nauseous yet hungry to bed to bed the other night at 8 pm and pretty much sleeping 12 hours straight through, still feeling the aftereffects today of whatever hit me some 48 hours ago.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4504435 - 01/21/20 03:07 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all

Hope you are feeling better, McGonigle. Love the story.

Bet all the practice Dux is doing is paying off.
Is it like amateur piano practice, where however it sounds it does seem to make one feel good?
I didn't think so.

There is a strange coloring when I look up, but I can't see too much because there is a bright light shining back.
When I look back inside I keep stumbling on a pile of stuff that I need to put back in the attic.

Is it nagging if it's mentioned once a month?

#4505857 - 02/02/20 02:30 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all

Just checking in. No news on Roger but I will try again Monday.

The Christmas stuff is back in the attic along with a few ill-chosen words.
The gifts are appreciated and a couple of laughs shared about the electric cork remover and the "dot" thingy that will never be used by me.
They were received a year ago, but the sentiment is appreciated.
Now to write down the requests overheard for the coming December.

Really haven't taken the time to properly hook up the rudder pedals, but the treadmill is getting some attention.

It's a new month and I would love to hear that Dux's musical engagement went well.
McGonigle is probably re-adjusting the tension on the stationary bike.

Glancing through the forums here I recognize the work that the gentlemen mentioned above, along with untold others
have contributed love, knowledge and sweat to the hobbies that have brought us together.

Thank you!

Edit: Tried calling Roger, but picked a bad time. Said he'd call back when able.

#4506710 - 02/08/20 09:20 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Hi Chaps!

Further gigs went well, too, Fittop. The Brexit gig was fine and the night finished in a most cordial manner without the less than gallant losers causing any scuffles here and there.

The fools even booked us again.

80 mph blow is forecast for Britain tonight so it's batten down the hatches. I used to enjoy the majestic wave panorama when I was down in Pembrokeshire but now will just have to settle for a few slates flying about up here in the Peak District.

Fingers crossed for an imminent return by Rog.

Manfred von Richtofen

#4506810 - 02/09/20 06:30 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all

So glad to see your post, Old Dux! I was hoping I had not shut down the thread.

it seems that I've gotten lazy.
Since I don't head into the other side of the Atlantic much anymore, I am no longer checking the weather there as I used to.
Hurricane winds may not be unknown in Europe, but they seem to be less usual than in the North American continent.
But I may be being a little provincial there. Maybe I have been lucky.
I do remember making a landing in a heck of a crosswind that exorted a high compliment from my colleague, at the time a caustic combat pilot who has seen some heavy stuff.

The recent paper made a note of seas almost reaching the windows of a seaside restaurant in the UK during a storm, but I did not put it all together until I read your entry above.
I hope the winds settle a bit for you.

Orbx has come out with greater fidelity scenery for Great Britain, so I am looking forward to flying slow and appreciating your beloved country-side that previously has usually had gone by too fast or been too busy to truly enjoy.

Congratulations on the success of your group!

I am envious of musical talented folks and stand in awe of anyone that can coax a beautiful tune out of an instrument.
To be able to do so with a coherent group seems to me a tremendous achievement.
Much success to you.

I was hoping to hear from Roger by now, but no luck so far.
The last time was not convenient for him but he did sound strong.
I'm hoping he didn't lose my number on purpose.

#4506823 - 02/09/20 08:33 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

Stormy weather here in Denmark as well. Usually once Dux has finished with the weather it gets sent over here in an easterly direction.

Great news Dux, that the gig was such a success that you were invited back. I too am very jealous of people who can actually play an instrument. I got a cheap Chinese built Fender look-alike as Christmas present of choice this past Christmas and I still struggle to set aside some time to learn some strumming. I've managed to get it in tune. Sorts of.

I did manage a bike ride on the roads Saturday as the sun was out and the winds were not too intimidating. And today I've gone and spent a bit of money on a newish car. I'be been wanting something a bit bigger but not too wide as the roads here are quite narrow in places, than the current Eurobox with a tiny one litre 3 cylinder engine. So I'll be getting a 500X with 140 Bhp and 230 Nm og torque which goes to 62 mph in less than 10 seconds. The thing is, with larger displacement I'll have a more flexible engine and more torque so I won't have to row the gears quite so much. It also has a smoother ride.

Always thinking of our pal Roger, wishing him the best.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4506895 - 02/10/20 12:14 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Hi Chaps!

Thanks Fittop. Things might be a bit quieter this month mainly because the daughter of our lead guitarist is over near Beverley Hills for a month and he has to keep her 7 year-old son occupied during that time!

It looks like the worst of Ciara is aver or the time being...I wonder who dreams up those names.

Jens,

There are some really good Chinese guitars coming over here courtesy of AliExpress and we have several of theme. Most of the US brands seem to have been copied and it takes some doing to separate them from the originals regarding construction and finish.
The pickups and electrics generally leave something to be desired when compared to western circuitry but they can be improved without much trouble.
My next bass might be the legal Ibanez SR2600 in cerulean blue. They are lighter than most other basses. The above mentioned lady also has one in natural blonde finish...just like her . wink

Manfred von Richtofen

#4506963 - 02/10/20 10:12 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all:

Gentlemen, the news about the heavy winds and bad weather affecting you and every one in Great Britain and the continent had finally hit the news here.

Notable is not only the weather, but the fact that it is being reported here.
I will admit that sometimes the news is rather insular here, forcing one to dig out specific data.
Surely this is probably due to to vastness of the country area, the effort that would be needed to disperse the info, and the demand for it.

Of course, there is the 'internet.'...

I do hope that you are all safe, as the reports indicate chilling happenings including a flight that attempted five landing attempts before returning to Madrid.

I sent Roger a text rather than call today. No news so far. Wonder if new therapy is in the works.

#4507871 - 02/19/20 07:05 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all

Hope everyone is making it through the winter OK.
It has seemed like a mild one so far here with temperature hitting 78 F. yesterday.
Today we returned to winter.

I have not heard from Roger. The last two times he said he would return the call when able.
I can only guess there may have been a treatment change that takes some time and hope it is helping.

On the plus side, his voice sounded fairly strong when he did answer.

Still keeping my fingers crossed.

#4508085 - 02/21/20 06:40 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

Not much winter here either but we do get a lot of rain, so much that several places are saturated with water. And there's the wind too which makes it difficult to get outdoors on the bikes. Alternatively I seek the indoor activities to get the pulse up, like swimming. Yesterday I did 5 km and the day before that 3 km in the local pool. I may need to get on the indoor bike trainer during the weekend to keep my legs from going soft.

I've taken delivery of my newish car and have had it for a week now. It is a joy to drive and to sit in. I updated the satnav and had a bit of a heart stopping moment when I couldn't get the on board satnav to finish the update and the the screen just went into a deadlock insisting on me inserting the USB-stick and finishing the update and then reporting an error. It turns out the USB-stick or the files on the stick were bad. I solved the problem by downloading the files anew to the USB-stick and then it took the update. Phew! A picture of the thing is duly attached. Not my house in the background by the way and the alloy wheels are kept for the summer tires.

Best wishes to our dear pall Roger who may not be able to see this post but I sure do think of him and wish for his speedy return to old form and the keyboard.

Attached Files IMG_20200215_142651007.jpg
Last edited by McGonigle; 02/21/20 06:41 PM.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4508276 - 02/24/20 04:23 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all

That's a beauty, MG, with all the latest toys and aids. Glad you're enjoying it!

(Have certainly been enjoying my now two-year old car's rear camera, though still check things out the old way.
Still believe mine looks like a Star Wars storm trooper at first glance. Not what I might have logically chosen.)

Know that partly it is a function of the roads and mind sets, - not even considering the price of petrol - but always thought your side of the Atlantic had more form-follows-function beauty.
Not crazy about the brightness level of the new LED lights at night.

Hope to try a new tactic and call Roger at a later time in case he is involved in a new type of treatment.
Also miss his writings. No answer to my latest text.

#4509007 - 03/01/20 02:07 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Chaps,

Countrywide flooding and high winds still in force but clear though cold here today.

A few more bookings have come in today including New Years Eve. Something to look forward to without being too busy. band

Manfred von Richtofen

#4509254 - 03/02/20 09:36 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

Have tried again to call Roger, with no answer. It's a bit worrying to me.

Congratulations on your musical engagements, Dux! Wish you much success.

In other notes, I do remember the winds and floods in your area last year.
But isn't this amount a bit unusual? Or perhaps I am ignorant of your weather patterns.
I know that the last time it led me to look at your area in the map.

Page 600 of 608 1 2 598 599 600 601 602 607 608

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.