Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 597 of 608 1 2 595 596 597 598 599 607 608
#4489136 - 09/11/19 04:39 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) **** [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Partly sunny with highs in the high 80's F. and high humidity today. It isn't the low 100's Fittop is dealing with but still hot. Fittop is probably expecting to see camel caravans passing by any day now.

I don't know how accurate these long term future forecasts really are, but the one I just saw indicates a big cooling trend in the eastern half of the US closer to the end of Sept. The map included Texas. May it be so and your A/C gets a good rest.

I have noticed over time with my son and grandson that an avid guitarist seems to collect several guitars over time. A headline recently caught my eye. It read "Young wife arrested. Charged with beating her husband with his guitars."

It seems that at the ladies arraignment, the judge asked the woman "First time offender?". Not quite understanding the question, the young woman replied, "No, your honor. First a Gibson, then a Fender." Sorry. All I can say is I thought that was funny.
🎸 😄

Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4489229 - 09/12/19 01:16 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

LOL...Thanks for the laugh, Roger. Barely missed spewing coffee all over the desk and keyboard.
It will just be in the middle nineties here and instead of cleaning up coffee, I should be out there watering the grass.
Hand watering mind you, since sprinklers use too much water for the city's and my taste.
But I will be losing the remaining tree before long unless I soak the ground it lives on.

I am afraid though, that this winter will find me hoping for above freezing temperatures.
Oh well, we can't all be living in California or more tropical climates.
But I do miss it's fresh-food farmer markets and the colorful plants that state seems to bear all year round.

Topping the news locally is the death of oilman T. Boone Pickens, remembered for his charities, etc.
I may be wrong, but do I also remember him as buying lots of land and maneuvering for water and mineral rights out west?

#4489249 - 09/12/19 04:20 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

High in the low 90's here today. That forecast I saw indicated a a heat wave for several days before a big cool down. As typed before, I don't put a huge amount of faith in weather forecasts beyond a few days. I hope it proves correct and we can cool it for a while.

Fittop:

I'm glad that joke got a good snicker. If it gave you an excuse to laugh, I'm very pleased. I don't believe people have to be made to laugh. Everyone wants to laugh. All they need is a good excuse.

I enjoy hand watering parched and thirsty plants. The Elephant Ear (Colocasia) is a tropical plant that grows up to 9 feet (2.7 m) tall and sprouts large, arrow-shaped leaves that resemble the ears on an elephant. We used to have several in our yard next to the house where they could enjoy rain runoff.

Mine never grew 9 feet tall but they did grow to about 4 feet. When dry, these plants show it by really drooping. I would hand water a droopy plant and within minutes it would be standing straight and tall again. I always enjoyed seeing that instant response.

I love trees. I'm not a "hugger" but I do enjoy the beauty and utility of trees. Frankly, when I am in an ancient grove of oaks I feel more relevant than in any church. Sadly, the subdivision where I now live has only a few small trees. We are surrounded by beautiful, tall evergreen and deciduous trees, all these seen in the distance.

That same forecast mentioned above is calling for a cold, wet winter in the East. It suggests above average snowfall for us. We'll see. Some years, just one flake would have meant a100% increase over the previous winter. Not lately. For about a decade we have had at least one snow per year. I remember how all us kids used to decry the obvious shortage of snow and the resultant, and much enjoyed, school snow days.

Wasn't oilman T. Boone heavily flogging natural gas as an abundant replacement for oil, electricity and coal a few years ago? I seem to remember seeing him on TV quite a lot for a while. That was before "Fragging".

Oddly enough, when I was in Dallas I saw not one oil well, pump or derrick; yet, when in LA I saw several pumps hard at work by the side of the freeway. For some reason, I thought they looked a bit like a T-Rex. They also reminded me of those kid's bobbing toys of the 50's. I had one back then. It looked like a bird and dipped it's bill in a glass of water over and over. I was fascinated by it.

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
#4489309 - 09/13/19 05:08 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

JRT, you have to go just west of the Dallas area to see the oil well derricks. There are some around, but they are more plentiful in the Ft. Worth area and west.
Since frakking boomed there are even some in the DFW airport land where a family or two also maintain some parcels of land.
That activity has been blamed for some earthquakes in the area between the city of Dallas and the DFW airport where the old Cowboy stadium used to be.

I do like trees and their shade. Regretfully some small ones had to be cut down because they were too close to the house.
Modern house slabs are no match for the power of nature. Even this city boy knows that.

#4489336 - 09/13/19 12:39 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
oldgrognard Online content
Administrator
oldgrognard  Online Content
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Gentlemenses,

Good day to all. Hot weather continues in Florida. We had plenty of rain all summer and our lakes and ponds are full. However the last week has been dry and the grass is suffering. High heat and sandy soil means it dries out quickly.

Had a good vacation. Flew to Asheville, NC. Rented a car and spent a week touring the mountains. No plan. Just went where we wanted through western N. Carolina, Tennessee, north Alabama, and north Georgia. Took backroads and stopped in at all the smaller places. Great time. Flew to Augusta, GA to spend a couple days with a Captain who worked for me and is an old friend. Then flew home.

Couple days later copiloted a King Air down to Marco Island and back. I’m getting trained on it and will eventually get checked out in it to pilot and be PIC. Sometime in the next two weeks I will get to copilot a Citation back from an upgrade done at Savannah, GA. This will be my first cockpit time in a jet.

So I have not been posting much.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4489437 - 09/13/19 10:43 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Bit O' rain here today with overcast all day. Highs mid 80's. Current temp high 70's F. Humidity 88% so it feels like low 80's F.

Soon to be Pilot In Command, OG:

Way to go. It has surely been an eventful and rewarding summer for you old chum. We'll expect some interesting reports rolling in soon then. It is the vicarious life that most of us live these days you know.

Last edited by Jolly Roger Two; 09/13/19 10:44 PM. Reason: Emoji screw up

#4489964 - 09/19/19 04:26 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

I hope Fittop isn't treading water due to that storm. Current temp at Noon here is just 68°F./ 21°C. We saw the low 50's F. overnight. Wow! what a difference. Looks like that forecast I saw was right after all. High for today predicted to be the low 70's F. Looks like low 80's F. for the balance of the week and weekend.

We'll be back in the 90's F. eventually, however a cool October is predicted. Maybe sweltering heat will now be the exception rather than the rule..... maybe.

Heck, in the past, our crowd has worn southern redneck formal dress in November. This consisting of flip flops, short sleeves and shorts. It has been comfortable dress for Thanksgiving cookouts here more times than not. The cold came in December.

Take care everyone. Hurricane season lasts through November. The last one did more damage at our coast directly and here indirectly by spawning many powerful but mercifully short lived tornadoes. One that lasted for a long time on the ground passed between our house and my son's.

#4489990 - 09/19/19 07:45 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

No hurricanes to report from here thank goodness, but the wind has been gale-like and unremitting - finally dying down today allowing the first bike ride in a week! I met, not in the same place I hasten to add, a fox, a cat, a squirrel and two goats on a warm tin roof! Apparently like cats they seek surface warmed by the sun as temperatures dropped to 59 C today. I do not include the white and brown cattle encountered nor the horses standing stoically in the fields as I passed. The deer was absent today so we will have to think up a new aka for me. Pedals with goats? No, don't much like the sound of that.

Changing the subject entirely, If any of our readers have trouble with young people not wanting to observe proper bed times, you could claim they were resisting a rest!

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4489997 - 09/19/19 08:10 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Howdy,

Your 68F degrees sounds wonderful to me. Here it's in the middle 80s thanks to Imelda, but no rain so I'm staying dry.
Will not be going to Corpus Christi as planned due to the same weather system.
But never fear, it will return to the middle nineties by the weekend.

Actually we were wishing for a little rain this morning. It's been very dry and the yard was fertilized yesterday.
After dark, I turned on the sprinkler only to see a 20 foot column of water watering the alley cement so I need to do some work, again, on the sprinkler.
I will be watering by hand again tomorrow unless the 30% chance or rain turns to a hundred.

#4490000 - 09/19/19 10:56 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

MG:

Resisting a rest. GOOD ONE. 😄 🚔

It appears you have an appreciative audience following your long bike route. A tin roof can get hot enough to fry an egg under a hot sun. You could have cooked Chevon for your dinner picked off that roof on your way home. Squirrel is also good to eat. I want mine barbecued.

I prefer lamb or mutton to goat meat myself. The film title "Cat on a hot, tin roof" must surely refer to a brief moment in time. A cat would bounce right off anything hot.

Fittop:

Glad you're not in danger from flooding.

DON'T FIX IT! You may have a money making attraction right on your lawn and don't realize it. Put that 20 ft. fresh water geyser of yours on a reliable timer and sell tickets to those wealthy dude tourists passing through. 😜

#4490175 - 09/21/19 05:33 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

I did, I did JRT. I printed up tickets, set up the stand, but had little traffic.
Apparently today was the day they were all at the Post Office getting their driver's license by mail.
One crashed into my stand, scattering my tickets and demolishing it.
When the police came and asked for my permit, I was at the Post Office waiting for the permit to arrive.
So no hits, no errors. winkngrin

#4490182 - 09/21/19 06:51 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Fittop:

Too bad. I thought for sure you'd be at least half way to your second million by now. One of my better money making schemes if I do say so.

Even better than the idea I had to print native American blankets on a specially adjusted laser printer.The product looked great until it rained on it or you washed it. I remember it as the only time I really came close to being scalped.

OK, LeRoy, there was that irate barber wielding a razor but he wasn't going for my hair. He was aiming the blade much lower. Honestly, Much ado about nothing. I had never even met his daughter.

Hmmmm. It won't be a total loss. How do you feel about manufacturing fishing poles with a good sized fish attached to the end of the line. This for unhappy anglers (like Dux) who never catch anything but a cold. With this rig, they'll always seem to ne catching a big fish.

Just LMK if you'er interested. I'll send the drawings to you straight away. No need to thank me Fittop. Right, LeRoy, I'd do the same for someone I liked...... 🪔 😜

#4490767 - 09/28/19 10:13 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Hi Chaps,

Rain, rain, rain and tomorrow more rain! In two minds about spending 4 nights in Pembrokeshire next week.

After consulting my pine cones and seaweed it does not look at all promising. The clincher will be that if the sheep and cows gather
under the SE side of every limestone wall in Derbyshire we can only conclude that we are in for it :nope

The band has a full programme now so we should be kicking off in mid October after we have put together some promo
cards and posters. 'K' will be taking some pics in the rehearsal room on Monday but unfortunately we will not be taking any pics of her.

Awful open-air, local concert last week. Mercifully, we arrived late afternoon and watched a Liverpool rapper go down like the Titanic but quicker.
This was followed by a decent four-piece outfit who could barely be heard due to the Mickey Mouse PA set-up, and finally the daftest disco ever.
It could only be heard by those who had been quick enough to snap up the radio headphones...about 60 pairs to share among over a thousand people.
The whole show typified the organisational abilities of the vegetating morons at the borough council. I won't waste my time next year.

'Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant.'

Manfred von Richtofen
---------------------------

#4490795 - 09/29/19 08:23 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

Dux, the rain persists over here as well. We have had had a normal September's share and a half in addition. I have only managed half the miles ridden last year due to rain and excessive wind. Still more to come as the month is not over yet. I saw that the road cycling world championships in Harrogate has also been greatly influenced by rain, necessitating a last minute route change.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4490928 - 09/30/19 07:16 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Dux:

What was the title of that 1965 Steve Mcqueen and Lee Remick film? The score was "Baby the rain must fall". Pretty dry here. No rain this week they say. From past experience, you do recall it is imprudent to play an electric bass out of doors when it rains, right?

You've been busy. Nice to hear "K" is out and about turning heads and raising blood pressure in Deepest,darkest Derbyshire,

Hopefully, she will get a few good pix before the music starts and the produce starts hitting the stage..... 😄

Break a leg as they say in the theater.

MG:

Sorry about your inclimate weather preventing you from your favorite exercise. Fortunately for moi, when it rains I can easily practice mine. All it takes is a plate of good food and a fork. It amazes me how powerful my elbows have become over time. winkngrin

Recently, I have been doing some adventure reading. I'm catching up on one of my my favorite authors and his activities since his previous work. Peter Hathaway Capstick, Wall Street broker, African game preserve official culling hunter safari guide and big game hunter. He has had many adventures around the world fishing and hunting.

Now deceased, Capstick had a huge following,leaving behind many popular books and magazine articles. By the time I finish reading them all I will be able to start on book one "Death in the long Grass" once more.

I recommend this author for those not too squeamish to read about hunting something that has a better than average possibility of having the unwary or unlucky hunter for lunch. Amazon has his books in hard, soft cover and in the ebook variety.

#4491045 - 10/01/19 07:00 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

This September gifted us 130m m of rain against the normal average of 73. In Yorkshire the rain also fell heavily in the weekend but it fell on our new Road Cycling World Champion Mads Pedersen, the first time this honour is won by a Dane. Congrats to Mads who has been training in the homely surroundings of Denmark, not too far away from where I live and ride actually, although I've never met him, afaik.

I heard today that we have only had three days with no rain whatsoever at some point during the day. Today I managed to squeeze in a ride between days of rain and windy conditions and I could observe how local farmers are plowing the fields now, preparing for winter seeds. Beautiful horses were in active vigour as well, running in their fields and exercising, keeping warm perhaps, because the temperatures were barely at 52 F. The deer I did not observe today but I have it from a reliable source they they are busy producing new deer now temperatures are down. Apparently they like it cool, not hot!

Favourite authors indeed. I have been thoroughly enjoying a short novella of Jack London, called Before Adam. It tells the story of a man who by night is transported back to a previous life as a primitive primate homonid fighting for survival and on the very first and dim cusp of intellectual development. The novel I feel is still fresh and does not feel like it is more than 100 years old. It is also public domain so if you are wanting for a good read it is available amongst other outlets at Gutenberg

There's a good band name; Primitive Primates. biggrin

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4491465 - 10/04/19 08:05 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

MG:

90's F. here the past few days. there is bound to be a shock when temps descend into the 50's F. tonight. We expect a good cool down. Maybe we have seen the end of 90's F. for this year. Otherwise, old Santa may well arrive on our snowless roofs wearing shorts, flip flop sandals and a Hawaiian shirt. 🎅

OH, you probably met the fellow but only saw him from the rear until you passed him going up a steep hill. Yes, this indicates a great faith in your ability as a cyclist. Notice whom you pass from now on and keep eyes peeled for the deer.

Pity the uneducated, I was not aware there was but the one Yorkshire located Britain. There is always much still to be learned even when 3/4 as ld as your book. London is also a favorite of mine.

#4491614 - 10/05/19 09:34 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Chaps,

JRT,

That was also the title of the film.

Another happy event for 'K'. 11Ibs. Lucky guy... :rolleyes

Sorry to learn of the B17 crash the other day. With the B24 they were such a very common sight over Essex and Suffolk in WWII.

A USAAF B17 crashed at Duxford where the 78 Fighter Group (P47s) was stationed sometime near the end of the war. He beat up the airfield and clipped a beacon on top of one of the hangars and cartwheeled across the Newmarket road into living quarters and exploded. All 13 killed. I think it was out of Nuthampstead….not sure.

There was a P47 'SNAFU' in the historic collection at Duxford. Don't know if it is still there.

'Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant.'

Manfred von Richtofen
---------------------------

#4491727 - 10/06/19 04:32 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Howdy,

Having little new to report, I been content to just read the entries here.
The Summertime weather has persisted; highs in the middle or high nineties and only cooling to high seventies (Fahrenheit) at night.
But today may be the last actual day of heat, as the weather-guessers, (a term not meant maliciously) say that highs in the seventies may be in the offing for this coming week.

A local weatherman usually throws out a weather question and gives the answer in the following 30 minutes. I do see it as a chance to learn and stay tuned to see if I guessed right. I don't think I have scored better than a B.

It's a shame to hear about the aircraft crashes and loss of life. Thankfully I have never seen one live and hope to never see one.
It'd be painful. Lost friends? Yep.

Funny JRT mentioning being aware of surroundings and who you pass or passes you.
Having been in law enforcement for a few years you are taught to be aware.
Flying increases your situation awareness as does any activity that sends you into unfriendly areas.
New York living seems to make that mandatory.

I have noticed I have lost the habit of "blue car at my five o'clock", speeder moving up fast third man back, or dust cloud 1/2 mile ahead.
The lady of the house, going barefoot in the house as she likes to do, has crept up unnoticed to within four feet, so my peripheral vision is not being used as well lately. -Or I am engrossed too much on reading or whatever activity in which I have been engaged?
I hope it is related to old age and loss of hearing; but I am taking care to increase my situational awareness.

That should pay dividends in a world where people are fixated on looking at their phones whether they are sitting, walking or driving.

The minus side of the equation is the paranoid feeling you develop with the left foot not far away from the brake pedal as you drive.
The last car I bought has me frustrated since due to the other crap built in like phone volume controls, I can no long keep a thumb close to the horn button; rarely used but a life and cost saver when used right.
I do like the back-up camera, though.

#4492478 - 10/11/19 05:20 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

While many of you have been enjoying Fall for a while, we have been missing it here.
The high temperature mark was 91F yesterday.
But we might be starting to catch up.
We started today with 46 degrees F. The high might reach 60 degrees F. later.

Mother Nature was also a bit rowdy this morning.
After showing us its power after dinner last night, complete with a concert of lighting and thunder, it decided to wake us with quiet cooling rain.
Yes, it's a change from the long, hot and dry month that just ended.
It was also the hottest September on record.

You might be forgiven if you stay in bed tomorrow since morning temperatures will reach all of 38 degrees F.
But it won't really count since most may be excused from work on Saturday.

We are of course, still on Daylight Saving Time which means sunrise occurs after 7:30 am local and hopefully alert school children are dodging equally alert drivers as they rush to school.
Yeah, I don't believe any of the "alert" parts in the last sentence either.
Please be careful out there.

I am spending way-y-y too much time looking at used airplanes for sale. Think the term for it is day-dreaming.

Meanwhile 33lima is keeping me engrossed in the Battle of Britain with his tales.
Nice job, Sir!

Last edited by Fittop; 10/11/19 10:11 PM. Reason: legibility.
Page 597 of 608 1 2 595 596 597 598 599 607 608

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.