Simon Read Offline
Simon Read  Offline

Australia
650219 First Blood Bien Gia
650314 Ho Chi Minh Trail
650421 DOOM Pussy

YANKEE AIR PIRATE - AAR

Flying the B-57B Canberra in Yankee Air Pirate:

Our hero, now a Lt. (JG), now has three combat missions with the B-57B. All were fascinating stories from Yankee Air Pirate..

After Action Report:
First off we headed south one beautiful morning. The hop from Bien Hoa AB to the town of Bien Gia was just over 10 minutes. NVA troops were boldly advancing on US Army and Marine units. Had they moved to close quarters, their favorite tactic, we would have seen vicious street fighting.

Hitting infantry is even tougher than bombing those tiny boats!

(The troops contesting the area are remarkably well modeled. Remember, this is not Battlefield or some groundwar sim. These guys are ultimately just targets and scenery for a flightsim! Yankee Air Pirate missions are the ultimate!)

Up and down the area we patrolled, catching the enemy troops in the open as they moved. Personally, I found the B-57B to be a fine strafing platform and guns were more effective than napalm. However, any significant AAA would preclude this tactic, as the Canberra is not particularly fast and you would not want to get low and slow with the heavy guns around.

The FAC was on station, buzzing about at low altitude, although we didnt really need him much on such a clear day.

It was a different story leaving Danang a month later as darkness fell, for an interdiction on the Ho Chi Minh Trail. As it says in the briefing notes; The airplanes came out when the trucks did, at night. After a formation takeoff from the busy airbase (more new objects and ground traffic added thanks to YAP), I flew as wingman and followed the Lead to a Valley along the trail, some 20 minutes north into Laos.

Our target area would be marked by our new FAC, Blind Bat. Bat was a Herc, a C-130 Flare-Ship that would push flares out the back over the zone and direct the strike!

In the total darkness the valley suddenly lit up like a Golden path. We dropped in, running the gauntlet of the AAA dug in along the hills, but able to pinpoint the trucks and dozers working away on the valley floor. Crates of supplies, flatbed trucks, tankers, dozers, it all went up in flames. Actually, about half of it went up in flames. In that environment only a fool makes a second pass and I was relieved to see Lead climb out and turn south. We did enough damage to put that section of pass out of action for a few more hours. Then the Navy and Marines would be back on station at daybreak. Nothing moved on that road during the day.

I enjoyed working with Blind Bat, that C-130 is something else!

Further along the trail into North Vietnam was considered too dangerous for the flare-ships. Therefore, the next 2 ship flight would self-flare, nail the trucks and avoid the AAA, on another black night just 5 weeks later. This mission, DOOM Pussy, was pure Night Intruder work. (The LAU-62 Flares were very well rendered, what a great feature!)

This was the longest strike flight of the three featured here, with a 20 minute ingress to the strike area. As lead I took the risky decision to attack the AAA first. Flak covered the bridge and truck park further north. A diving strafe in the pitch dark was successful and paid off handsomely. I was free to strike the trucks at the bridge while my wingman took out the truck park. Each pass we formed up again, flared over the target zone and dived in, again and again, until the whole area smoked.

(To succeed in this mission, under challenging flying and targeting conditions, is very satisfying indeed, and to bring your wingman home is real achievement!)

One more surprise awaited us, on finals after the long return trip along the coast. A VC gunman hiding in the grass close to the airfield shot at my aircraft and took off the starboard elevator! We landed safely, but what a moment!

(What a nice touch! As in reality insurgents might appear anywhere, blurring the boundaries and ensuring that nowhere is really safe, brilliant mission building.)

Next up: Thuds!

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#1653529 - 12/03/06 01:30 PM Re: YANKEE AIR PIRATE 4 - Canberras  
mdwa Offline
mdwa  Offline

Way over in Perth, Western Aus...
Thanks Simo! Nice AAR's. Very imersive...

PS You been watchin the cricket...?

mdwa
#1653530 - 12/03/06 02:23 PM Re: YANKEE AIR PIRATE 4 - Canberras  
Simon Read Offline
Simon Read  Offline

Australia
Thanks mate! Yeah I have an eye on Adelaide at the moment. Although I must confess divided loyalties since my wife and I are emmigrating there next year!

#1653531 - 12/04/06 03:12 PM Re: YANKEE AIR PIRATE 4 - Canberras  
mdwa Offline
mdwa  Offline

Way over in Perth, Western Aus...
Quote:
Originally posted by Simon Read:
Thanks mate! Yeah I have an eye on Adelaide at the moment. Although I must confess divided loyalties since my wife and I are emmigrating there next year!
Ha Ha!! You not movin to Adelaide though?? Got my talking Boonie and Beefy today!! ( http://www.boonanza.com.au/ ) VERY funny when watching the cricket...

Also check this out: http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/ashes (click on play)

You will like it.... ;\) ;\) \:D

PS Excellent work on the AARs.

Martin.

mdwa
#1653532 - 12/05/06 08:33 AM Re: YANKEE AIR PIRATE 4 - Canberras  
zerocinco Offline
zerocinco  Offline

Tchepone, Laos
Those pods always appear on your O-1E? They should be Hydra marking rockets. If so, I need to make a correction.

#1653533 - 12/05/06 11:53 AM Re: YANKEE AIR PIRATE 4 - Canberras  
Simon Read Offline
Simon Read  Offline

Australia
Yep, I need the right loadout for that FAC or he won't smoke anything!

#1653534 - 12/05/06 02:09 PM Re: YANKEE AIR PIRATE 4 - Canberras  
EagleEye[GER] Offline
EagleEye[GER]  Offline

Germany
What a nice detail on the last screen(with the VC shot off the elevator)!
Yeah, wonderful mission building and thanks for sharing this moment.
Looking forward to another AAR.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
SimHQ Formula 1 Fantasy League
by DBond. 02/21/24 05:48 PM
Brand New, 26 Year Old, House for Sale
by F4UDash4. 02/18/24 11:52 AM
E Commerce Results Filtering
by F4UDash4. 02/17/24 11:43 AM
MS to end W10 support in Oct. 2025
by Red2112. 02/15/24 09:44 PM
Your top 5 RPG's of all time?
by PanzerMeyer. 02/15/24 01:13 PM
Cold War Posters
by F4UDash4. 02/15/24 01:43 AM
Some twisted humor
by oldgrognard. 02/14/24 10:05 PM
MSFS 2020 Dune
by Red2112. 02/13/24 09:49 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.