Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#1653522 - 11/30/06 11:11 AM YANKEE AIR PIRATE 3 - Pierce Arrow Part One  
Simon Read Offline
Simon Read  Offline

Australia
YANKEE AIR PIRATE - AAR

For our third Yankee Air Pirate mission we shall see Operation Pierce Arrow from the point of view of the Photo-Recce Pilots, flying Bomb Damage Assessment (BDA), behind the main Alpha Strike. This mission makes use of the famous, Photo-Recon Mod.

640805 Pierce Arrow BDA (VFP-63)
Weather: - Broken Clouds 6000 VIS 30Nm
TOT: - 0700
Aircraft: - (1) RF-8G
Flight Time: - 35 Minutes.

After Action Report:
Unarmed and entering the hot zones behind the strike package, might be considered asking for trouble. The real skill is to hit the right waypoints on exactly the right flightpath. So first priority, study the damned map!

I launch from the waist cat off the crowded deck of the USS Constellation, there is an A-4C Tanker over there and two F-8s up front, all launching at once. They are headed straight for Vinh, I am bound for Quang Khe Ferry, we all know our way by now.

The RF-8G is a handsome aircraft, check out the camera apertures under the nose and mounted in the aircraft sides. There are no weapons or gun ammo, no space for them.

Entering the river mouth, I level out, wind up the cameras and prepare to hit the marks. With the wing-leveler set you can look straight down and snap sidelook views too.

There is a little flak here, but I concentrate on getting the shots and turning for the next waypoint. Notice the radar is off too, no un-necessary radiation. I dont want some smartass GCI to zero me.

Over to the Rail-Spur and along the line, we then turn for the Vinh Bridge. Keeping it steady

By now the increasing levels of radio traffic illustrate the strikes under way, sounds like the A-4s are through it and a whole bunch of Skyraiders are in there mopping up. (Of course, during this phase you could F6/F7 all over the place, there is a lot to see! It is also just as atmospheric to let it all play out in your headphones.)

The level of flak increases around the scene of the recent strikes, glancing to the right I can see a flight of Spads, forming up post-strike, about a mile away going in the opposite direction. I manage to hold it on line, the flak lighting up the cockpit as I approach the Vinh Bridge. A sudden bang and a flash right on the nose snaps my nerve completely. Lighting the burners, I climb for the cloud cover, heart hammering. One more run at the docks and Im burning out of there, straight for the ship.

On egress I join up with the A-4C Tanker, covering the strike route, and follow him on in right to the Connie, piece of cake! Once safely aboard, we review the pictures at Ops, nice job!

Next up: 640805 Pierce Arrow (VA-145)

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#1653523 - 11/30/06 08:58 PM Re: YANKEE AIR PIRATE 3 - Pierce Arrow Part One  
Stratos Offline
Hotshot
Stratos  Offline
Hotshot

Amposta, Spain
Flew this mission last night, is very very good

-Sir in case of retreat, were we have to retreat??
-To the Graveyard!!

sandbagger.uk.com/stratos.html
#1653524 - 12/03/06 02:46 PM Re: YANKEE AIR PIRATE 3 - Pierce Arrow Part One  
Simon Read Offline
Simon Read  Offline

Australia
It is good yes. IMHO doing all the YAP missions consecutively is much more interesting than any campaign. You will get to see every facet of the air-war and take part in many actions/stories.

It is more than a campaign or series of missions, what would you call it?

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Eagle Cams
by NoFlyBoy. 02/25/24 07:20 PM
For us old farts
by oldgrognard. 02/25/24 02:03 PM
Forty Four Years Ago....
by F4UDash4. 02/23/24 02:40 AM
Live Moon Landing: NOW
by F4UDash4. 02/22/24 10:46 PM
Excalibur
by PanzerMeyer. 02/22/24 07:29 PM
SimHQ Formula 1 Fantasy League
by DBond. 02/21/24 05:48 PM
Brand New, 26 Year Old, House for Sale
by F4UDash4. 02/18/24 11:52 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.