Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#1653354 - 10/15/06 08:34 PM POL Airbase Attack  
LOF_Rugg Offline
LOF_Rugg  Offline

This is an AAR for one of the missions in my LMR Ground Attack Pack . These missions are for use with the LockOn Mission Randomizer .

Briefing for todays mission:

My wingman Beagle and I receive clearance from the tower to take off, we climb out to waypoint one where we'll reach Angels 8 on our final altitude of Angels 17.

Our RWR shows us the "29" symbol, which tells me it's a Slotback radar, the same type used on the Mig29, Su27 and Su33. We'll be paying close attention to the radio calls and to make sure the Bandit's signal doesn't move into the middle circle, as they'd be within firing range at that point.

Two flights of F16's have been tasked to eliminate SAM threats in the target area. They're carrying HARMs to clear the way for us to crater the runway.

Over VHF freq's we hear a flight of F15's call engaged with a pair of Mig29's. As we're still climbing out and feet wet we stay on the 15's channel and listen. We hear Fox 1 and 3 calls as well as "engaged defensive, Archer!" It sounds like the 15's pushed thru to WVR and it's a close range fight. The Migs are particularly dangerous with their helmet mounted sights and R73 IR missiles.

"Splash one!" comes in clearly over comms. The pilot is breathing heavily and we hear his Sidewinder tone clearly as he transmits.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#1653355 - 10/15/06 08:36 PM Re: POL Airbase Attack  
LOF_Rugg Offline
LOF_Rugg  Offline

We hear "Magnum" over the radio, it sounds like the F16's are within range and are firing their HARMs. They're calling out targets and from the gist of it the airbase is heavily defended with Shilka A/A guns all the way up to KUB SAM sites.

Off in the distance we see numerous missile trails as smokey fingers from the HARMs reach out to destroy their targets.

AWACS relays info to us that all emitters in the target area have ceased. The 16's run in low over the target and strafe whats left of the KUB site. They make one pass and head home.

As we approach waypoint 3 I tell Beagle to spread out in trail and I bank right to give myself a bit more distance so I can line myself up for my bomb run.

I set my bomb computer to drop all four Mk84's, one at a time with a ripple interval of 3/4 of a second. This should destroy a large portion of the runway if I fly the correct flight path. I also toggle on my Master Arm switch.

I'm about to turn into the target, I'll be flying down the length of the runway dropping my ordnance the length of it.

I pitch the nose down a bit, deploy speed brakes and lock the target point midway down the runway. I lock altitude at Angels 17 and activate CCRP mode. The square box with the dot appears at the top of the "fall line". I fly my velocity vector and the box starts to make it's way down the fall line. The left bottom side of the HUD tells me that I'm 7 kilometers from the impact point. When the bombs drop I should have plenty of time to turn away so that I don't have to overfly the impact area. You never know when a tricky SAM operator is playing possum, or if there are MANPADS. Remaining above Angels 10 will negate the MANPADS part of that equation.

#1653356 - 10/15/06 08:37 PM Re: POL Airbase Attack  
LOF_Rugg Offline
LOF_Rugg  Offline

The nose pitches up as the bombs drop from the racks. All four 2000 pounders are gone in 3 seconds.

Shack!!

I turn away and I call Beagle in weapons hot. I'll orbit counterclockwise near the target to call SAM launches for my wingman. He's was far enough behind in trail that he doesn't have to spend much time lining up his run. He lines up on my hits and runs in on the target. He gets four hits down the rest of the runway. The airbase is officially non-operational.

He turns away and I run in hot on a group of 4 helos parked on the apron. I'm carrying one Rockeye so I select it and drop on the helos, I pull up hard and load G's on the aircraft to make myself harder to hit. I get three of the four choppers.

I take one last shot at a Ka52 attack chopper, as I exit the target area. I figure one Maverick for a chopper is a good tradeoff. I'm able to lock the Mav right away. "Rifle". Direct hit.

AWACS calls the airspace free of bandits so Beagle drops down and launches a coupld Mavs at a convoy at his 11 o'clock low.

#1653357 - 10/15/06 08:39 PM Re: POL Airbase Attack  
LOF_Rugg Offline
LOF_Rugg  Offline

I line up for a gun run and with all the smoke and fire I don't see the Strela till it's too late.

Uh, this isn't good!

I feel the aircraft shudder as Betty screams at me "Hydraulics Failure". I don't have time to do a quick check to see if I still have both wings as the Strela fires again. I dump flares as fast as I can and the missile fails to track. It's been blinded.

I take a quick look down and see my speed brakes are deployed. There's no way they're going to close with a hydraulic failure so now I'm nose up, slow and the plane is handling like crap. I continue to drop flares in large amounts because I just "know" that I'm still in range and being tracked. I'm hoping that the flares are enough to keep the next missile from damaging my plane further. Beagle screams at me, "Missile 6 o'clock! Whomp! I hear the shrapnel from the SAM pepper the aircraft. It sounds like a handfull of ball bearings being thrown onto a tin roof. That one was close but I'm still flying!

There's one left in that launcher and with me out of range Beagle is his target. Beagle is dropping flares and the SAM explodes behind him. There are some holes in his aircraft but no major damage, at least according to Betty.

I take a minute to get the plane flying straight and level as I switch the controls over to manual reversion. Now I'm using the backup pulley and cable system to keep my bird aloft. I can manage 190 kts. at 100% power and my speedbrakes are locked open. I get on the radio and call Mayday. I give my position relative to Bullseye. I intend to fly this thing home if at all possible as SAR choppers are vectored to my area should I have to eject.

Beagle follows me in trail, as he handles all the radio calls. I'm having a heck of a time flying the plane, it takes alot more muscle with no boosted controls. I'm leaking fuel out of my right wing. I try to calculate my fuel loss rate and fuel consumption to get a quick guesstimate on whether I'll be able to make it home. There are no emergency bases closer and I don't relish the thought of having to land this thing on a road with no hydraulics.

#1653358 - 10/15/06 08:40 PM Re: POL Airbase Attack  
LOF_Rugg Offline
LOF_Rugg  Offline

After 15 minutes of (relatively) uneventful flying I drop my gear and turn onto ILS approach. Tower calls me in and scrambles the crash trucks. I have no flaps. I'm going to have to put it down 35kts faster than a standard approach. Tower tells me I'm on glidepath and I hear the outer perimeter warning as I fly over it.

I follow the ILS all the way in and set 'er down on the numbers.

I roll out to the end of the runway, and I'm thankful that we're flying out of one of he longer bases in theatre. I park on the apron just off of the main runway and shut down my engines. My plane is leaking fuel all over.

Beagle lands several minutes behind me. We head off for debriefing and then to talk to my crew chief to see how badly I damaged his aircraft...........

#1653359 - 10/16/06 12:08 AM Re: POL Airbase Attack  
20mm Offline
Site Emeritus
Honorary Forums Manager
20mm  Offline
Site Emeritus
Honorary Forums Manager
Sierra Hotel

Tucson AZ
Outstanding job, rb!

I take it this was late afternoon? The sun glint, shadows, are awesome. Nice job with the perspectives of the pics as well, really fits with the story.

It looks like you had speedbrakes open on your gun run, before the Strela got you, and then they got stuck open. Correct?

Heh, been a while since I flew a mission like that. Wounded bird and all. Falcon 4, IIRC, fond memories.

I got shot up after a crater runway mission, and turned to make one more pass. Bad idea, those guys had big guns down there, and before I knew it, tracers were zipping past the canopy and I had several hits.

Which resulted in multiple system failures, the aircraft kept wanting to roll right, even with the manual pitch fully deflected left. So I rode it home with the stick pushed left and did a dead reckoning from target home, based on "I think the base must be that way, because the ocean's over there."

Gear would not come down, so I rode in on the belly and lived to tell the story. But it was a hell of a ride, actually I enjoyed the flight home more than anything. It was a real challenge just to make it back, much less land. Figuring what was bad and what was good on the aircraft, did I have fuel leaks, the whole navigation deal, trying to keep the aircraft upright and steady.

Thanks, enjoyed that!

Pat Tillman (1976-2004):
4 years Arizona State University, graduated with high honors.
5 seasons National Football League player, Arizona Cardinals.
Forever United States Army Ranger.
#1653360 - 10/16/06 01:00 AM Re: POL Airbase Attack  
LOF_Rugg Offline
LOF_Rugg  Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by 20mm:
I take it this was late afternoon? The sun glint, shadows, are awesome.
Morning. 0700 is the takeoff time. ;\)

Quote:
It looks like you had speedbrakes open on your gun run, before the Strela got you, and then they got stuck open. Correct?
Bingo! I was going a bit fast and I figured I could get one more vehicle on the run if I slowed down a bit. I saw the SAM launch but I didn't have time to maneuver or hit flares, the closure rate was around 1700kts..... \:D

Quote:
It was a real challenge just to make it back, much less land. Figuring what was bad and what was good on the aircraft, did I have fuel leaks, the whole navigation deal, trying to keep the aircraft upright and steady.
I wasn't having much problems flying the plane, except it drove like a bus cuz of the hydraulics shot out. The plane trimmed out ok, didn't even lose pieces of rudder or aileron. I knew I'd get the gear down, but having to land fast I knew I'd have to hit the numbers if I was going to stop before I ran out of runway. Kirovskoye has a 3200 meter runway which is plenty. After the wheels touched down I aerobraked the plane till the nose dropped and put weight on the gear then I didn't have to use much wheel brakes. There are a couple of runways that are 1800 and 2700 meters so I'm fortunate that my home airbase was the closest. And one of the longest.

#1653361 - 10/16/06 08:16 AM Re: POL Airbase Attack  
Groove Offline
Groove  Offline

Outstanding ruggbut.

What are your fps ? And your graphic settings ?

#1653362 - 10/16/06 01:58 PM Re: POL Airbase Attack  
enigma6584 Offline
enigma6584  Offline

Wisconsin, USA
Excellent AAR Ruggbutt! A real joy to read.

#1653363 - 10/16/06 03:28 PM Re: POL Airbase Attack  
Tec1 Offline
Tec1  Offline

excellent AAR, similar thin happened to me on F4:AF last night (goddamn KS-19's!!! )
got it back to base allright. 4 A2A kills 21 A2G \:D

#1653364 - 10/16/06 04:40 PM Re: POL Airbase Attack  
LOF_Rugg Offline
LOF_Rugg  Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Groove:
Outstanding ruggbut.

What are your fps ? And your graphic settings ?
In a bad spot with lots of smoke over cities I get about 15 fps, average is 45+ with a normal amount of stuff going on. As for my graphic settings I run a custom config file, but I have 4xAA and 4xAF on the vid card. 1280x720 (native for my 27" cockpit monitor). I run water at high, mirrors on at medium, cockpit reflections on, high scenes, all shadows, distance is a mix between med and far.

#1653365 - 10/20/06 02:27 PM Re: POL Airbase Attack  
Hispanicgamer Offline
Hispanicgamer  Offline

United State of California
Nice AAR! I'm new to the forums and I really enjoy all of the AAR. There's a lot of good story tellers out there.

War is Hell
#1653366 - 10/21/06 06:26 PM Re: POL Airbase Attack  
Cat Offline
Egyptian Mau
Cat  Offline
Egyptian Mau
Hotshot

Somewhere....over the Rainbow
I had one like 20mm in Falcon 4.0 as well, I still remember it. I was on a flight out of Osan and flying just north of Seoul. Allied forces were on the defensive and the battle was shaping up around this bridge over the Han River. I was supposed to knock off this bridge with Paveway I laser-guided bombs.

We got over the target, I found the bridge, and got off the bomb. It was a good hit, you could see it in the MFD. I rolled off and got a SAM warning from an SA-2 battery hidden in the shdaows of a ridgeline off to my west. I had a HARM on board and was trying to line up for a shot when the radar warning gear kicked into high screech and I got a red launch warning light. I fired the HARM but of course it was too late. SA-2 loves high-aspect, frontal close shots. The long and short of it is I evaded, pumping chaff and with music on, and *pow*, the SAM exploded just under me by its proximity fuse, about some thirty or forty feet below the aircraft. Immediately I had tons of caution and warning lights, the master caution was blazing, and I had multiple failures. The aircraft became unstable, there was a problem with the FCS. I was losing main hydraulics as well.

Near my position was a highway dispersal airfield, just east of Seoul. I declared an emergency and got into the pattern. It was not good, I wouldn't get another shot.

Unfortunately, the runway is too short on those dispersal fields. I got the bird down but I was too hot and about to run off the runway. But that journey got cut short when a convoy of USMC HMMWVs decided to jaunt across the runway in my path...I just had time to hit the eject button before running into those blasted Marines....

Miao, Cat

Miao, Cat
#1653367 - 10/21/06 08:53 PM Re: POL Airbase Attack  
Alex41 Offline
Alex41  Offline

Calgary, Alberta
Excellent AAR! \:\) That close calls with the missiles reminded me one of the training missions in JF-18 where you have to evade the ground threats and reach the waypoint one.

So, in that mission, after reaching the waypoint one. I decided to have some fun so I turned and approaching a SA-11 site at around 800 knots and 80 feet above the ground. The SA-11 having a hard time to lock on me because I was flying too low and too fast then they decided to launch a pair SAMs at me but both SAMs missed me by a couple meters..

#1653368 - 11/01/06 06:49 AM Re: POL Airbase Attack  
JAS39 Offline
JAS39  Offline

NYC
good one \:\) !

Apple Macbook Pro Generation 10.1 (Summer 2012)
15", 2880x1800 IPS Samsung Display
2.3 Ghz Intel Core i7-3615QM
8GB DDR3 Memory
1GB Nvidia GT-650M
256GB SSD

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.