Hop To
#1584677 - 01/12/05 11:20 AM Time Commanders 2 - New Series Starting  
Hengist Offline
Hengist  Offline

Balsa Munitions R&D Institutio...
Starts Sunday 16th on BBC2 7.15pm

Battle: Teutoburg Forest.

Series 2 Week One: Teutoburg Forest
In 9 AD the Roman frontier in the north was marked by the natural moat of the Rhine river. To the north and east barbarians lurked in their dark forests, worshipping darker gods and, according to the Romans, they plotted the destruction of all that was good and civilized.

Augustus, the Emperor of Rome in all but name, saw no reason why the German tribes wouldn't benefit from a bit of Roman civilizing and was pushing for full development of Germania as a Roman possession. To this end he despatched one of his favourite administrators and a personal friend, Publius Quinctilius Varus, to run Roman affairs in the area. Here was a man who understood how to organise the business of the Empire: the collection of taxes, the conscription of soldiers, and the establishment of Roman law. Perhaps Roman efficiency and the comforts that went along with it would win over the Germans. Although often dismissed as a civilian rather than a soldier, Quinctilius Varus must have had some military experience and aptitude. He had been governor of both Africa and Syria; Syria had four Legions along the border with the Parthians and an incompetent military commander would never have been assigned to the region, regarldess of any friendship with Augustus.

In Germany there were three Legions of 5000 men each at Varus' disposal: the XVII, XVIII, and XIX Legions. These troops had been on the frontier for several years and were as well trained and professional as any other Roman force. They could be relied on to fight well. By the end of the year they were withdrawing towards their winter quarters in the south, laagering up until the campaigning season started again with the spring thaws. The exact position of this camp has never been established, but the best estimates place it somewhere near modern Minden on the River Weser.

This was the opportunity that the German tribes had awaited. Unknown to Varus his 'native guide' and local expert, Arminius, was not a friend of Rome or Romans. He was one of the leaders of a conspiracy of tribes aimed at breaking the power of Rome in Germania. Arminius lead the Roman legions south towards their camps and then disappeared into the forest. Then the attacks by the wild men of the woods began, and the Legions were cut to pieces. All three Legionary eagles - the standards were the symbol of Roman military might - were captured by the Germans and vanished, taken as trophies. Fifteen thousand men, along with Publius Quinctilius Varus, their commander, perished in the snow and the dark. When, months later, another Roman army reached the spot, it was said that the Roman skeletons stretched for miles.

It is said that Augustus aged visibly when told of the disaster. He had lost a friend, three full Legions and the chance to rule Germany.

It's great seeing the Rome: Total War Engine on telly, hopefully this will a later version than the one used on the first series of Time Commanders? Anyway, I'll most certainly be watching it \:\)

Hengist.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#1584678 - 01/13/05 08:24 PM Re: Time Commanders 2 - New Series Starting  
enigma6584 Offline
enigma6584  Offline

Wisconsin, USA
I wish we could get that program here in the states. Sounds like a very interesting show.

#1584679 - 01/13/05 09:27 PM Re: Time Commanders 2 - New Series Starting  
Blacksheep02 Offline
Blacksheep02  Offline

Rhode Island, USA
Hey that show might come on in the states eventually. I've got digital cable so they give me History channel, History international and BBC America. There is a good chance it might show up on one of those stations!

-Blacksheep
The Sheeps Pen
#1584680 - 01/14/05 01:58 AM Re: Time Commanders 2 - New Series Starting  
killdevil Offline
Ruddy Duck
killdevil  Offline
Ruddy Duck

E.City, North Carolina
It has been on the History Chanel here in the States.

CSG_Rummy
#1584681 - 01/14/05 08:32 PM Re: Time Commanders 2 - New Series Starting  
Tailgunner Offline
Tailgunner  Offline

UK
\:\) I love it when the 'contestants' get roasted.

I will definitely be tuning in for the new series...always assuming I can tear myslef away from modding this game \:D

I have started making some fantasy units for the game, to add in as 'mercenaries'. It is actually pretty easy to mod, and most of the necessary aspects of the game are accessable. There is a plugin to make new 3d models for 3DS Max, lots of stats in simple text files, and the skeletal animation aspect of it is getting more accessable. Still not possible to make a whole new skeletal framework for animation...but that will come \:D

Hey..Blacksheep \:D Never knew you were a total war fan!

Athlon 64 3000 ( S939)
1024Mb DDR 400 (Don't leave home without it)
GeForce 6800GT
Abit AV8 Pro
#1584682 - 01/16/05 05:57 PM Re: Time Commanders 2 - New Series Starting  
Hengist Offline
Hengist  Offline

Only 2 hours to go until the new series starts. I just read who the team are...
"The Vicars: Can the forces of evil be defeated by our team of vicars as they take on the might of the Germanic army in the battle of Teutoberg Forest? Presented by Richard Hammond".
Lol, a bunch of Vicars, this should be a laugh \:\)

Hengist.
#1584683 - 01/17/05 10:40 AM Re: Time Commanders 2 - New Series Starting  
Hengist Offline
Hengist  Offline

What a humdinger of a program that was.

For those that didn't see it, the Vicars kicked major ass. They were probably the best team yet to appear on the show, great leadership.
Btw, the Romans won the battle this time \:\)

Anyone else see it?

Hengist.
#1584684 - 03/13/05 02:03 PM Re: Time Commanders 2 - New Series Starting  
Hengist Offline
Hengist  Offline

It's the last of the new series tonight \:\(

A team of climbers from Suffolk scale the citadel of Sarmizegethusa as the Romans take on the Dacians in 106AD? Richard Hammond comperes this spectacular conflict as they lay siege to one of the greatest fortresses of its day.
- Time Commanders
Sun 13 Mar, 6:15 pm - 7:00 pm 45mins

Hengist.

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Good F-35 Podcast
by RossUK. 04/08/24 09:02 AM
Gleda Estes
by Tarnsman. 04/06/24 06:22 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.