Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1584649 - 01/08/05 02:00 AM Who is just lurking until the patch?  
TheHobbit Offline
TheHobbit  Offline

USA
I am so stoked for the patch. I just can't make myself play when I know they are gonna patch so much and it will be the only patch they release. I figure I'll save my time for the best. The game really is already fun, but it'll be better with some of the issues worked out.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#1584650 - 01/08/05 03:58 AM Re: Who is just lurking until the patch?  
Sim Offline
Hotshot
Sim  Offline
Hotshot

Patch? What patch? I didn't know there were a problem....

#1584651 - 01/08/05 07:15 AM Re: Who is just lurking until the patch?  
Blacksheep02 Offline
Blacksheep02  Offline

Rhode Island, USA
Man, I've already played 3 full campaigns and conquered the world with 3 different nations! I noticed a few bugs, but it didn't stop me from beating this thing on the hardest settings lol.

If there's a patch to make it better that's great, wonder what will be in it? I lost some serious hours that should have been spent on college work due to this game. Oh well, I had a Roman history class in there and this game complimented that nicely \:\)

-Blacksheep
The Sheeps Pen
#1584652 - 01/08/05 08:40 AM Re: Who is just lurking until the patch?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Patch?

#1584653 - 01/08/05 11:36 AM Re: Who is just lurking until the patch?  
F.L. Offline
F.L.  Offline

No
From Totalwar.com: I know some of you are getting impatient and feel we are not keeping you informed. We do not want to rush the patch out before it is ready. We have been reading the forums from Day 1 and want to make sure that we address as many issues as possible. The patch is extensive in what it addresses and this includes battle map AI, campaign AI, UI issues, balancing, multiplayer, and general bugs. It is, as you can see from that basic list, very comprehensive.

Up till now we have been reluctant to issue a date for the patch as we have not wanted to give misleading information. We now feel confident enough to state that the patch will be out no later than the middle of January. Bear in mind, however, that it will need to go through QA. This is an exhaustive process and why we only get the one chance to get it right. Please be patient: we have been working very hard to make this patch as good as it can be and I know it will be worth the wait.

I hope they release it pretty soon, havent played it in a month or so waiting for the patch.
I dont say its unplayable for me but all the small issues surely keeps it from being as good it can be.
And ive only been able to get it to work online one time, out of god knows how many tests.

The propeller is just a big fan in front of the plane used to keep the pilot cool. When it stops, you can actually watch the pilot start sweating.
#1584654 - 01/08/05 04:48 PM Re: Who is just lurking until the patch?  
Uther Offline
Aviation Coordinator
Uther  Offline
Aviation Coordinator
Hotshot

Upstate NY
The biggest problem I'm seeing is missile units inside a wall (Archers and Velites) sometimes will refuse to move once they are inside. All other units will move but they will not.

I've had this happen several times now. Other than that it's been really good to me.

#1584655 - 01/08/05 06:02 PM Re: Who is just lurking until the patch?  
F.L. Offline
F.L.  Offline

No
My biggest problem with the gameplay is the ai generals, my reinforcment generals and enemy.
Probably about 80% of the battles im in ends(or starts) with the ai general makes a suicide attack against my spearmen or phalanx units and the rest of his force routs quickly afterwards especially if theyre low valour troops.

I dont mind winning of course but i wish the battles would last a bit longer like in MTW, were you would have theese long and hair rising battles.

The propeller is just a big fan in front of the plane used to keep the pilot cool. When it stops, you can actually watch the pilot start sweating.
#1584656 - 01/11/05 03:05 PM Re: Who is just lurking until the patch?  

CT, USA
Wow, great news on a patch, but like others, I've been having a fine time with it the way it is. True, there are little niggly things that should be improved (like the lone enemy general charging to his death too frequently) to help make this an even better game. Unfortunately, I've had very little time to play this but I have already won with my first attempt on normal difficulty with the default family. Did the little trick to keep playing and am seeing how much of the world I can conquer before time comes to and end... (that sounds ominous doesn't it) \:D

Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, i7 2700k @4.7GHz, EVGA GTX570HD 301.42s, 1x120gb SSD, 2x150gb WD Raptors, 2x200gb SATA, 16gb G.Skill DDR3 2130, 1000W PS, HP DVD-RW, Onboard sound, 32" Sony Bravia XBR, Win7 Pro 64bit, Tai Chi watercooled case
#1584657 - 01/15/05 08:03 AM Re: Who is just lurking until the patch?  
markiz Offline
markiz  Offline

USA
Hi all. I am new to this game and I have a question right away. What exactly does the patch improve besides Multiplayer? Thank you for your answers.
P.S. I have been enjoying the strategic part of the game a lot. Nothing I can compare it to in the game world of strategy. Well of course my favorite chessmaster 2004 is #1.

#1584658 - 01/15/05 05:13 PM Re: Who is just lurking until the patch?  
402Hamster Offline
402Hamster  Offline

uk

#1584659 - 01/15/05 06:00 PM Re: Who is just lurking until the patch?  
F.L. Offline
F.L.  Offline

No
Patch delayed a little bit:

Latest Patch Info So just a quick update on the patch. The patch is now with Activision for testing. This process needs to be thorough and may pick up on issues that need to be addressed (which is the whole purpose of testing and QA).

That said we expect to release the patch by the end of January at very the latest. This is obviously open to change depending on QA but we will inform you as soon as we have the green light to go.

A big thank you to every one for being so patience and we will continue to keep you up to date through the forums.

#1584660 - 01/15/05 06:54 PM Re: Who is just lurking until the patch?  
402Hamster Offline
402Hamster  Offline

uk
its not delayed its out go to the activision support page or that link i put takes to stight to it

#1584661 - 01/15/05 08:13 PM Re: Who is just lurking until the patch?  
F.L. Offline
F.L.  Offline

No
Quote:
Originally posted by 402Hamster:
its not delayed its out go to the activision support page or that link i put takes to stight to it
I said that bechause it was supposed to be out in the middle of Jan ;\)

#1584662 - 01/15/05 10:00 PM Re: Who is just lurking until the patch?  
Dick Dastardly Offline
I Don't Care Bear
Dick Dastardly  Offline
I Don't Care Bear

Earth
that's the first patch, this one will be 1.2, or whatever they decide to call it. (And a lot meatier than 1.1. \:\)

Suicide is man's way of telling god "You can't fire me, I quit!"
#1584663 - 01/16/05 02:37 AM Re: Who is just lurking until the patch?  
markiz Offline
markiz  Offline

USA
Thanks for the link. I also have anoher question: When I am being attacked I try to deploy my spearman near the wall so they could throw the spears over it while the opposite team is trying to ram the wall. But nothing happens when it comes to throwing their spears.They just stand in one spot and do nothing. If I click the attack command, they will actually open the gate and attack the enemy but that is not what I want. For example in the game Ages of Empire you can tell your troops to stand still and engage by either throwing the spears or using their bows. Are there any commands that I failed to notice or it's not possible? Thank you again for your responses!

#1584664 - 01/16/05 07:53 AM Re: Who is just lurking until the patch?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

So, is it significanlty better than Middle Ages or is it just prettier?

cheers

#1584665 - 01/21/05 01:30 PM Re: Who is just lurking until the patch?  
Dick Dastardly Offline
I Don't Care Bear
Dick Dastardly  Offline
I Don't Care Bear

Earth
Patch update: Be a bit longer, major bugget apparently found and being corrected. Seems units were only using their primary attack value, and not their secondary ratings (so their second weapons were using primary stats).

Suicide is man's way of telling god "You can't fire me, I quit!"
#1584666 - 01/21/05 03:31 PM Re: Who is just lurking until the patch?  
lonesome=crow Offline
lonesome=crow  Offline

edit

#1584667 - 01/21/05 09:40 PM Re: Who is just lurking until the patch?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

What can we say? Strange things happen in software development. That's no excuse, but we are now clearing up the problem.

Firstly, we'd like to thank players for finding this issue in Rome: Total War. We've calculated that the community has now spent 17,000+ man years in playing RTW. Unfortunately, we don't have the resources to match the dedication of our players so we hope you can forgive us for the lapse in not spotting this bug, which was introduced late in the project. We're less than happy that we missed it. Even if we'd put everyone involved on the project into testing (and stopped putting any cool stuff in the game) it would have taken about 300 years to match your efforts, and we're pretty sure that most people wouldn't have wanted to wait for 300 years for the game to be published. \:\)

We've now addressed the problem. In the current build units now use their secondary weapon values where appropriate. Archers and skirmishers, for example, now 'know' to use their knife or shortsword combat values instead of their missile values. The main results of the fix is that some missile troops won't be as effective in hand to hand combat, and lance armed cavalry will be more effective than is currently the case after their initial charge. We're now playtesting to make sure that unit balancing hasn't been affected in any overtly strange ways and that combat results are what we'd exect them to be. You'll be happy to know that so far, so good...

This late change does mean that other patch elements have to be retested. As a result, the patch has been slightly delayed and won't be available when we expected. But, having monitored the forums, we know that this is an issue that needs to be addressed. We also know that you're eager for the patch. We are too, but we want to do the job *properly*. That's going to take slightly longer than we thought it would.

So thanks for your continued patience. In the meantime, the game still works and is extremely playable. Once the patch is out you'll find that is even better.

#1584668 - 01/24/05 12:34 PM Re: Who is just lurking until the patch?  
Tailgunner Offline
Tailgunner  Offline

UK
Poindexter...are you part of the RTW team ?

Failing that...I would love to know your information source \:D Sounds like some important fixes coming our way.

Athlon 64 3000 ( S939)
1024Mb DDR 400 (Don't leave home without it)
GeForce 6800GT
Abit AV8 Pro
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.