Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#1533340 - 02/09/05 01:06 PM Returning from Argentina research expediction  
Dante-JT Offline
Dante-JT  Offline

Florianópolis - Brazil
S! \:\) I've just returned from my expediction to Argentina, where I\'ve succeed in getting all photos and material I need for the Pucara cockpit.

I'd like to thank very much Gabriel, the museum\'s curator, who kindly opened the cockpits and we've seated and spent a lot of time getting many photos \:\) usually these cockpits are locked, because in the past some tourists had stolen parts of the cockpits as souveniers. The A-4C Skyhawk present in the museum shows this fact, although it was an incredible experience to seat down and lock myself with canopy closed in this historic aircraft (which performed an attack on HMS Avenger , it's feels like you're "wearing the plane", due to so tight and small is the cockpit space but it's actually confortable, that's why feels like 'wearing' !

I was also pleased with the hospitality and kindness of argentinean people, in special my hosts, Cancio's family. \:\)

Also I've bought a lot of books (in Spanish) about the planes of the conflict, as well as a Malvinas t-shirt and other merchandisings - the museum's content is incredible, and heavily biased towards aviation - there are many ejection seats, pilot's uniforms, helmets, oxygen masks, debris and parts of shootdown planes, empty shell cases, empty/deactivated air-to-ground bombs, and a interesting wall poster showing many photos and description of the infamous "Hercules bomber", an adapted C-130 capable of carrying underwing stores and bombs (!), Sharkey Ward mentions this in his book, and I found it very odd, something hard to swallow, but in the museum I've saw strong evidence that this really was attempted!

I've already started texturing job in Pucara's cockpit(based on my photo session) and probably by this weekend I'll have some WIP shots to show here. \:\)

-----
Jet Thunder Project
http://www.thunder-works.com
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#1533341 - 02/10/05 09:43 AM Re: Returning from Argentina research expediction  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Cool! I suppose this is a perk of the job. \:\)
Say, Whats meant to be in that space in the Pucara's cockpit panel where it says "TREN" ? Trim lever?
Also what was attached to that brace that is beside the forward glass?
You must of had a ball!
Edit: I guess that brace was the gun site. Its got me wondering what sort... \:\)
Some great historical photos over at that museum too! I saw the Herc's loaded hard points and some rather unusual kill markings. \:\)

#1533342 - 02/10/05 02:36 PM Re: Returning from Argentina research expediction  
Dante-JT Offline
Dante-JT  Offline

Florianópolis - Brazil
Gunny: "TREN" means Tren de Aterrizaje or Landing Gear, up or down (arriba/abajo).

Indeed, in that brace is attached a simple gunsight. I got this reference from a model kit website .

And of course, I've had a ball in this travel. \:\) Had you been there in the museum as well ?

-----
Jet Thunder Project
#1533343 - 02/10/05 09:11 PM Re: Returning from Argentina research expediction  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Dante-JT:
Had you been there in the museum as well ?
I wish! I can see why you asked that question.
I should have said Some great historical photos over at that museum's website too! \:\)

#1533344 - 02/16/05 09:37 PM Re: Returning from Argentina research expediction  
Baco Offline
Baco  Offline

Buenos Aires, Argentina
Actually, even thow every active oficer from the Argentinian Air force will deny it. That "Herc" actually hit its target, and if the data ever saw the light of day it would be the first A/Su kill of a C-130 ever ;\)

Some claim it actually happend AND there are pictures somewhere that shows a Hercules with bombs beneath its wings ;\) .
Of course If I ever get my hands on one I will post them (probabbly thats why I´ll never get one \:\) )

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack Pilots make history.
#1533345 - 02/16/05 10:57 PM Re: Returning from Argentina research expediction  
Dante-JT Offline
Dante-JT  Offline

Florianópolis - Brazil
Quote:

Some claim it actually happend AND there are pictures somewhere that shows a Hercules with bombs beneath its wings
Yes, these are the pictures in the museum in Oliva showing the bombs beneath its wings:

And the cockpit photo showing the gunsight in front of pilot's seat:

If you ask Gabriel, the museum's curator, he will give you all the info about this, he is very knowledgeable about the material he has in the museum and is a very nice person as well! \:\)

-----
Jet Thunder Project
#1533346 - 02/24/05 12:29 PM Re: Returning from Argentina research expediction  
Fox Monter Offline
Fox Monter  Offline

Argentina
Dante if you need some info for this baby, I got some pics... I made this cockpit for the SFP1.
Of course probably you got better pics...

Did you go inside the cockpit??? how its feeling?? and fly the pucara???

Fox Monter
Rosario - Argentina
#1533347 - 02/25/05 01:23 AM Re: Returning from Argentina research expediction  
Marcantilan Offline
Marcantilan  Offline

Buenos Aires, Argentina
Baco, you could speak now.

A C 130 left an unexploded 500lb bomb on the deck of a Tanker, and some other bombs (8 were launched) just bounced off.

The ship was latter scuttled.

Armed recon, you know.

And you could speak because an (american or other, I think the former??) court of law already ruled the case (the owner vs. Argentine republic).

I´m not sure, but I think we win.

Ultima Ratio Regis
#1533348 - 02/28/05 07:19 PM Re: Returning from Argentina research expediction  
Baco Offline
Baco  Offline

Buenos Aires, Argentina
Well Still the oficcioal word of the Argentinian Air Force is that never happend.
And I didn´t know about the rulling but it sound logical the looser end allways pays it´s "war debts".

I heard that the C-130 had succesfully hider the Tanker that was suplying the British Task force en route to the South Atlantic.

Now if this is confirmed it would be the first ever naval kill for a C-130 ;\) .

#1533349 - 02/28/05 09:33 PM Re: Returning from Argentina research expediction  
Marcantilan Offline
Marcantilan  Offline

Buenos Aires, Argentina
http://www.admiraltylawguide.com/supct/AmeradaHess.htm

Confirmed, man.

We win, but for procedure reasons (jurisdiction).

Ahh, all a good lawyer can do. ;\)

Ultima Ratio Regis
#1533350 - 03/03/05 02:16 AM Re: Returning from Argentina research expediction  
Dante-JT Offline
Dante-JT  Offline

Florianópolis - Brazil
Quote:

Dante if you need some info for this baby, I got some pics... I made this cockpit for the SFP1.

FoxMonter: the Pucara in the Malvinas Museum is missing the gunsight, if you have photos of the gunsight, I'll be happy \:\)

I didn't fly the Pucara, but Cazador from ECV56 Condor squadron did a flight last year \:\)

-----
Jet Thunder Project
#1533351 - 03/03/05 08:11 AM Re: Returning from Argentina research expediction  
Fox Monter Offline
Fox Monter  Offline

Argentina
Quote:
Originally posted by Dante-JT:
Quote:

FoxMonter: the Pucara in the Malvinas Museum is missing the gunsight, if you have photos of the gunsight, I'll be happy \:\)

I didn't fly the Pucara, but Cazador from ECV56 Condor squadron did a flight last year \:\)
Let me see if I can find somthing... I made the gunsight from external views. Maybe "Cazador" have a few pics???
I look into my videos and see what can I find...
In the Internet I only find a few panel pics. nothing more.

Fox Monter
Rosario - Argentina
#1533352 - 03/03/05 10:34 PM Re: Returning from Argentina research expediction  
Baco Offline
Baco  Offline

Buenos Aires, Argentina
Cazador is MIA right now.
Hi snew son got 110% of his attention.

But we have other sources. I´ll see what the 56th can come up with.

Specially find out if the sights now a days are the same as back in 1982. If they are the same we shouldn´t have too much trouble getting a few pics, if not it migth be harder to find a vintage 1982 Pucara.

Anyway, It will take a few days, maybe weeks to find a good pic. (the FFA is not to keen on seeing cockpit or sight pics on the net...).

Everything I come up with is to be thank to the ECV-56th and its grate comunity ;\) .

#1533353 - 03/04/05 11:07 AM Re: Returning from Argentina research expediction  
Fox Monter Offline
Fox Monter  Offline

Argentina
I been looking into a millons of magazine!! and nothing not one pic from the gunsight.. just one of the panel, and its not too good....!! DAMM!
And my videos only shows the pilot not the panel!!!...

I try to go to the library and what can I find... :rolleyes:

But I got no hope to find any pics... \:\(

Fox Monter
Rosario - Argentina
#1533354 - 03/05/05 03:10 PM Re: Returning from Argentina research expediction  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Elusive... On This page over at the Avsim site there is a review of "Harrier Jump Jet".Scroll down and there is a Pucara's cockpit with the words "Matra" on the gun sight. Thats about all I could find.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.