Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#1533208 - 12/18/04 05:43 AM further ideas - ever wanted to drive a tank in IL2?  
scary_pigeon Offline
scary_pigeon  Offline

britain
I played IL2 a lot.

I often thought it would be fun to have been able to drive one of the tanks or maybe tried to soldier over to the enemy airbase for a vulching purposes >:-)

I think the reason they didnt do that was because they couldnt be bothered doing a good job of it, as the flight sim side was so important.

what do you think though? is 3rd rate qualilty in comparison to main aspect of the game, just a fun extra or a distraction from the main theme?

It wouldnt be that hard to add things like helecoptors for example but we might not feel too fussed about making as good a job of the FM as we intend of the aircraft.

likewise, if an element of soldiering was allowed, we might be uninterested in doing lots of fantastic animations for the various ways a soldier can die, nor exactly how different bullets from the different guns work:

have been amused in game forums the arguments about how good different guns are.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#1533209 - 12/19/04 10:44 AM Re: further ideas - ever wanted to drive a tank in IL2?  
Keithb77 Offline
Keithb77  Offline

UK
I think you need to focus on the essentials and ensure you get an actual shipping project!

Maybe a modular approach -
a base pack with flyable Harriers (RN & RAF), Mirages, Skyhawks, Entendards and Daggers, everything else AI.

then a chopper pack with RN, RAF and Argentine Helicopters, maybe Pucaras & Mentors

then a strategic pack - Vulcan, Victor, Nimrod, Canberra, C-130 etc

maybe a naval pack and an army pack, but were there any tanks in the Falklands/Malvinas?

Just my 2d's worth!

Have you tried Battlefield 1942?
Not a sim but an excellent game, you can be flying CAS/ground attack 1 minute, be shot down and bale out the next and be in the thick of the ground war in amongst the troops you were attacking or defending!

Cheers,
Keith

#1533210 - 12/19/04 04:51 PM Re: further ideas - ever wanted to drive a tank in IL2?  
Lemon Offline
Lemon  Offline

It might be fun to walk around the deck watching the harriers takeoff, or then seeing them land. For one it reinforces the scale, aircraft are large, carriers are massive and its all rather impressive. Actually getting into the land battles would be lovely but if its not done properly it becomes a onetime lark for the player and your not getting a good return for your effort.

#1533211 - 12/31/04 04:51 PM Re: further ideas - ever wanted to drive a tank in IL2?  
Trident Offline
Trident  Offline

Germany
Hehe, you're not the only one considering this:

Quote:
We implemented ground units control in the current Lock On version for developers only. Cool indeed! I hope to open this experimental feature to users in the helicopter Lock On version so we all can strike out future sim progress directions.
I'm all for realism, but I can imagine that a simple implementation of playable ground vehicles would be great fun, especially in multiplayer. Just don't try to make it too sophisticated so as to make it seem like nothing more than a gimmick or easter egg. Otherwise people may start to think of this as a half-hearted implementation of a major feature ;\)

If you have the time to make it solid and realistic by all means do so, otherwise keep it pretty basic intentionally. All IMHO of course.

EDIT: Lemon makes an important point about the impression of scale in flight sims, most sims fail to convey the considerable size of modern combat aircraft to the player. Even a simple solution like allowing the external camera view-point to approach the ground to an altitude that corresponds to the height above ground of the eyes of an average human would be better than nothing.

#1533212 - 01/03/05 08:50 PM Re: further ideas - ever wanted to drive a tank in IL2?  
Baco Offline
Baco  Offline

Buenos Aires, Argentina
SC, don´t you have enough work with the A-4B/C/Q, Miraghe IIIEA, Daguer (Nesher), Super Etandart, IA-58 Pucara, FRS1 Harrier, Not to mention modeling correctlly every sensor on the Task force to work realisticlly + the SAM, AAA, not to mention the AIM-9, Sharif II, earlly Matra 550, Mk-117, Seadrats, Roland SAMs, Even small arms fire if you like...

That you feel the need to compete with Half life II or Batelfield 2 ? \:D \:D \:D \:D \:D

Now if after you have done the previous aircrafts weapons and platforms with grate detail you feel you would like to add something diferent: You could ad a FPS perspective for a pilot, so you don´t start inside the cockpit but on the mess hall, you need to attend the briefing room, get the isntructions and then get to your plane , Ramp start it, etc... And if you do eject, you must hide and wait for SAR ;\) .

That would be an awsom feature...

Just as longs as the core of a sofisticated realistic Combat Fligth Simulation is not sacrificed along the way ;\) .

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack Pilots make history.
#1533213 - 02/05/05 09:24 AM Re: further ideas - ever wanted to drive a tank in IL2?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I often thought it would be cool to sit out a mission and just defend the base.
I was wondering what sort of controls the SeaCat had. I know it was used in the Falklands conflict on board some British vessels.
I have read that the SeaCat missile was only effective on visually acquired targets and in the link below you can see a picture of it.
I'm guessing that those two guys are the controllers on top of that turret.
Anyone got a picture of the SeaCats control panel?
And or what did the operators have to do?

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WMBR_Sea_Cat.htm

#1533214 - 02/06/05 06:07 PM Re: further ideas - ever wanted to drive a tank in IL2?  
Stiglr Offline
Stiglr  Offline

Portland, OR
BAD IDEA.

No, check that.

REALLY BAD IDEA.

"Adding" player driven vehicles to an air sim never works, because you have players operating vehicles with an idea towards furthering the air game, rather than performing missions on the ground. Exactly the opposite of what should be going on.

The only sim to ever come close to doing it right is WWIIOL, but then, they have a ground module that is built on ground objectives, and make it co-exist with the air module. And even that doesn't really create the proper feel of WWII (simply because unit integrity can't be established or maintained).

If you're going to do an air game, you've got your hands full getting the flight and damage models right, getting a decent look, modeling planes properly and creating a proper historical map to fly and fight over. Don't bite off more than you can chew and try to deliver more than that.

#1533215 - 02/06/05 07:28 PM Re: further ideas - ever wanted to drive a tank in IL2?  
Fenna Offline
Fenna  Offline

Lancaster, England
Well, Nguyen has a point. But as the Falklands never really involved armour, I think the only human controlled ground objects could be just anti aircraft weapons. Their sole purpose is to "further the air game" in real life anyway, so having a rapier battery as "flyable" wouldn't detract from realism. \:\)

#1533216 - 02/06/05 11:14 PM Re: further ideas - ever wanted to drive a tank in IL2?  
Stiglr Offline
Stiglr  Offline

Portland, OR
Since the Falklands didn't feature much in the way of armor... then why have any vehicles at all (doing more than being targets)?

As for AAA, at a set point, or on a ship, well, maybe... but done correctly and accurately, that'd likely be its own sim, wouldn't it?

#1533217 - 02/07/05 03:40 PM Re: further ideas - ever wanted to drive a tank in IL2?  
Fenna Offline
Fenna  Offline

Lancaster, England
Well, I'm against having any drivable vehicles in this flight sim. But all I meant from my last post was that IF ground "vehicles" were included, I think they should be just SAM or AAA batteries. In it's simplest these could surely be programmed with similar radars to those already in the game.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.