Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#1533003 - 04/26/04 12:33 AM Any updates?  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT
I visited the site today and looked through the 3D models..very, very nice. Downloaded both the videos and was impressed with the sensation of speed and altitude in both. I hope work continues on this project... \:\)

Good luck with it...I'd really love to see a true VTOL Harrier in a sim..and that Pucara (sp?) is beautiful!

BeachAV8R

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#1533004 - 04/26/04 02:13 AM Re: Any updates?  
Dante-JT Offline
Dante-JT  Offline

Florianópolis - Brazil
Yes BeachAV8R, we're deep into the modelling of the naval units, specially some of the most important ships in the british task force, we're trying to add as much detail as possible, and this is taking a lot of time, but I think it'll be worth in the end because the naval aspect of this campaign is extremely strong. These ships will have the sensor rangers and weapon systems depicted correctly too, as well as different damage according to the place hit. But our heavy task at the moment is to get them to look accurate in the external 3D model, specially the carriers...

To do this, myself and Ariel "Firefly" Cancio are working this way: I model the low/medium LOD version of the ship (~2000 triangles) then I send to Ariel the model together with a lot of photos and references, so he can create the fine detail that will be incorporated in the Highest LOD version of the model - he did very well with the Hermes bridge model, and now there's Type 22 Batch 1, Type 42 Batch 1 and Atlantic Conveyor in the 'queue' to get Ariel's treatment. ;\)

Some screenshots of the incredible work that Ariel Cancio did into my HMS Hermes 3D model:

The latest model I was working, the 'Atlantic Conveyor' container ship (it was transformed into a Harrier and helicopter carrier for the war and was sunk by Exocet missiles in May 25,1982):

And finally, the Type 22 Batch 1 (HMS Broadsword, HMS Brilliant), and Type 42 Batch 1 (HMS Sheffield, HMS Coventry):

These are considered the most important ships in the British Fleet, according to emails I'm receinving, so, there is total priority for these models in the upcoming weeks.

-----
Jet Thunder Project
http://www.thunder-works.com
#1533005 - 04/26/04 05:21 AM Re: Any updates?  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT
Wow..excellent stuff! I've been waiting years for a Falklands/Malvinas conflict simulation...ever since I read Max Hasting's book about the war.

I also saw the interview with the Argentine Mirage pilot on Discovery Wings...he seemed like the consumate professional fighter pilot..very likeable and skilled.

Looking forward to more progress reports

BeachAV8R

#1533006 - 04/28/04 08:25 AM Re: Any updates?  
Rick.50cal Offline
Lifer
Rick.50cal  Offline
Lifer

Wow, I'd forgotten about this project...looks very promising!

Is this one a year away? \:\)

POLITICS, WAR, ECONOMY, CONTROVERSY! and other heated discussions and debates in the PWEC sub-forum at the bottom of this forum main page. See you there!
#1533007 - 06/29/04 03:01 AM Re: Any updates?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by BeachAV8R:
I visited the site today and looked through the 3D models..very, very nice. Downloaded both the videos and was impressed with the sensation of speed and altitude in both. I hope work continues on this project... \:\)

Good luck with it...I'd really love to see a true VTOL Harrier in a sim..and that Pucara (sp?) is beautiful!

BeachAV8R
How is thunder now? Biohaz is down... \:\(

#1533008 - 06/29/04 03:35 AM Re: Any updates?  
Dante-JT Offline
Dante-JT  Offline

Florianópolis - Brazil
Quote:

How is thunder now? Biohaz is down...
It's going slightly slower as I wished, but here's a little update: the art team is carefully working in the naval units, with progress in the Type 22 frigate textures starting to appear:

And, in the programming side of things, in this exact moment Steve is watching his A.I. planes fighting each other - they're in guns only 'test fights', 1 vs. 1. Seems A.I. is capable of shooting down another A.I., but they're still commiting bizarre mistakes, according to Steve. And, as soon as we have a complete warship with anti-aircraft guns (2x Bofors 40mm, Type 22 Batch 1 circa 1982), we'll start some tests on the A.I. of the naval gunners - then, it'll be time to implement Seawolf SAM, I hope (but this after the integration of the two main "blocks" of code of the simulation - long history...too long for this short update ;\) )

-----
Jet Thunder Project
#1533009 - 06/29/04 09:10 AM Re: Any updates?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by BeachAV8R:
Wow..excellent stuff! I've been waiting years for a Falklands/Malvinas conflict simulation...ever since I read Max Hasting's book about the war.

I also saw the interview with the Argentine Mirage pilot on Discovery Wings...he seemed like the consumate professional fighter pilot..very likeable and skilled.

Looking forward to more progress reports

BeachAV8R
You ever see the interview with the Brit' Harrier pilot regarding the bombing of the Sir Gallahad?

He said that after watching the A4 drop it's bombs he was angry, very angry. He went onto say... Forget all this honour and knights of the air stuff, he wanted to kill this enemy pilot. He fired a Sidewider at close range right up his tail pipe. The resulting debris from the explosion left nothing bigger than a grapefruit.

Looking forward to this sim.

#1533010 - 06/29/04 09:41 AM Re: Any updates?  
Goanna Offline
Goanna  Offline

Australia
Sensational...its almost going to be a pitty dropping bombs on those lovely looking models..

#1533011 - 06/29/04 11:12 AM Re: Any updates?  
VVNZ Offline
VVNZ  Offline

New Zealand
Awesome thanks for the update! May your code be easily merged and contain few bugs \:\)

#1533012 - 06/29/04 02:59 PM Re: Any updates?  
Trident Offline
Trident  Offline

Germany
Quote:
Originally posted by Goanna:
Sensational...its almost going to be a pitty dropping bombs on those lovely looking models..
I second that, incredible stuff!

#1533013 - 06/30/04 05:11 AM Re: Any updates?  
K6_Scorpion Offline
Ruler of the Free World
K6_Scorpion  Offline
Ruler of the Free World

Central FL
Lookin' good, guys! After reading through the website and seeing that you're planning on making the game "mod friendly", at this point, how difficult would it be to make the Gazelle a flyable aircraft? When I saw that you're shooting for a realistic V/STOL FM, the first thing I thought of after how much I'll enjoy the Harrier is..."how can I fly that Gazelle?" Are we talking "apples and oranges" or is it something that someone could mod into the game, after it's release?

Keep up the great work!

------------
<Uh... put signature here... and stuff>
#1533014 - 07/03/04 06:21 PM Re: Any updates?  
Dante-JT Offline
Dante-JT  Offline

Florianópolis - Brazil
Quote:

Lookin' good, guys! After reading through the website and seeing that you're planning on making the game "mod friendly", at this point, how difficult would it be to make the Gazelle a flyable aircraft? When I saw that you're shooting for a realistic V/STOL FM, the first thing I thought of after how much I'll enjoy the Harrier is..."how can I fly that Gazelle?" Are we talking "apples and oranges" or is it something that someone could mod into the game, after it's release?
This is still a hot topic for discussion amongst us members of the dev team. Steve's FM system for the Harriers works by enabling the thrust vector to 'pivot' according to player's input (either keys or a joystick axis) this is exactly what the nozzles lever in the Harrier's cockpit does, by rotating the nozzles down or backwards according to pilot's input - there's all the rather dangerous area of flight where you're transitioning from thrust lift to the lift provided by the Harrier's wings - we all known that this is not what a copter does at all, we must take in account the torque of the main rotor, the tail rotor to counter it, the rotor tilting constraints and all that (to enable at realistic copter's FM). But, of course we can 'cheat' by making the copters working a bit like wingless Harriers with the engine thrust always pointing down, but for me this is a bit like the 'super lift flaps' hack employed in other Harrier simulation attempts we see around but for use in helicopters - i.e., not really close to the real thing. Maybe for current A.I. helicopters like we have now, this will be convincing, but for sure if we aim for a helicopter add-on we'll try to rework correct FM's for each helicopter.

-----
Jet Thunder Project
#1533015 - 07/09/04 02:43 AM Re: Any updates?  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT
Wow..those models look awesome...

Thumbs up!

BeachAV8R

#1533016 - 07/13/04 12:56 PM Re: Any updates?  
Porkchop Offline
Porkchop  Offline

Parma, OH, USA
A Harrier doesn't have to worry about "vortex ring", or retreating blade stall. You do get "transitional lift" when transitioning from vertical to horizontal flight as the airflow increases over the wings, and control surfaces.

Yeah harrier FM, and helo FM are apples and oranges. You also dont need to constantly input left pedal to counteract the torque from the main rotor. I forget the aero-speak term for that phenomenon. "Differential torque" or some such :rolleyes:

I get a wodoy when I think about proper carrier ops Got both eyeballs on this one. Especially if you get the right radio calls and such. USNF although a "sim lite" had unequeled "atmosphere" from the LSO interaction, and the "artistic license" taken with your virtual copilot. "Lets see some of that pilot s$%&" indeed !

Lomac's carrier ops are pretty good, but I am interested to see how the blokies do flat tops. Should be very interesting. Yes indeed.

I love it when a plan comes together. ~ H. Smith "The A-Team".
#1533017 - 07/14/04 04:49 PM Re: Any updates?  
Lobber Offline
Lobber  Offline

Upstate NY
USNF...You could make your backseater puke with neg G's...haha.

HAF-X, ASUS X58 Sabertooth, Intel i7-970, 12GB HyperX DDR3-1600, EVGA 970, 60G SSD, 1TB 7200,Win10-64

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.