Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1391578 - 05/23/04 12:41 PM What do you think of Bruno Stachel ?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

(hint: Blue Max :p )

Only because he reminds me of the good ol 'A-Team, I can not truely dislike the guy, but I think I wouldnt want that guy in my squad.

How 'bout you ?

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#1391579 - 05/23/04 04:02 PM Re: What do you think of Bruno Stachel ?  
FlyXwire Offline
FlyXwire  Offline

St.Charles, Missouri U.S.A.
Bruno Stachel in my mind was consumed by a social system which required his undeniable allegeance to it, but not it to him.

The German monoarchy and the aristocratic social/military hirearchy which dominated that nation dictated one's position most often by birth. When Stachel, through his individual acheivements and abilities as a soldier allowed his advancmet into a service dominated by the upper class, his social standing did not allow his accomplishments as a superb fighter pilot to be accepted by those wishing to maintain their superiority granted by priviledge of their social distinction..........he was a threat to the notion of class-based superioity and the rationality of divinely ordained rule.

Not only was Stachel fighting a battle against his nation's enemies, but he also fought a battle to prove himself equal to the holders of priviledge, rank, and status within the hirearchy of the German Air Service............ones others often received by their birth-right alone.

As the movie concludes, and Stachel's desire to prove himself worthy of all opponents contravenes the social order of the day, he must be sacrificed at all cost, in order to maintain the status-quo and the undeniable right to rule by the powers that be.

As a fighter pilot Stachels expertease was undeniable, but his judgement of how far his contempt for class distinctions would be tollerated by his superiors was sorely lacking in judgement............he paid the price with his life.........at the hands of his own "countrymen".

#1391580 - 05/24/04 12:05 AM Re: What do you think of Bruno Stachel ?  
Boom Offline
Boom  Offline

Culcairn
Poor Bruno was very much a product of his times. And this is made more clear in the book than in the film. The book allows for a more serious study of his very complex character than does the movie - which only touches on the devils that drive him.

A simple upbringing in a world of rigid class distinction. That is only just coming to terms with the social disorder that will be the offspring of the waste that was trench warfare.

Like many young men of his times he sort a cleaner, more free environment to express his individualism. Having survived the horror that was the trenches he had every intention of not being down trodden by anyone. Not by the pompous Heidemann - who favoured little word games to trip up aspiring pilots, nor by the haughty Klugermann - who considered himself above all others.

For Bruno the Blue Max represented a form of elitism, a way to match all others, to be anyones equal socially. His thinking was foggy to be sure, not aided at all by his alcoholic haze.

Still Bruno does show that courage (moral as well as physical) can draw out the best in men. Although he may appear mostly cold and ruthless to the men around him, with occassional glimpses of the young insecure boy that is truly him, Bruno by his very will to succeed, shows in the end that man can overcome his most deadly implacible enemy ie himself.

Which is why in the book he survives.

Would you want to be his friend? probably not. Would you want someone like him around in a tight situation? Absolutely

"Somewhere out there is page 6!"
"But Emillo you promised ....... it's postpone"
ASWWIAH Member
#1391581 - 05/24/04 03:25 AM Re: What do you think of Bruno Stachel ?  
Trajan Offline
Trajan  Offline

Well, considering that he forced Klugermann into the ground, I wouldn't want him around at all \:D IIRC, he really lusted after the D7 too.
I wish I had the book today.

"We have come to bring you Liberty and Equality, but don't lose your head about it. The first one of you moves without my permission will be shot." Marshal of the Empire Francois Lefebyre
#1391582 - 05/24/04 05:24 AM Re: What do you think of Bruno Stachel ?  
JG1Hautz_J10 Offline
JG1Hautz_J10  Offline

Germany!
S! Pips,

BTW, in the book Stachel NEVER made it to the trenches. He applied for, and was accepted to air service training before he went to the front.

Hautz

#1391583 - 05/24/04 05:31 AM Re: What do you think of Bruno Stachel ?  
Lone Star Ace Offline
Simulated Ace
Lone Star Ace  Offline
Simulated Ace

Spring, TX
Ironhand,

You should check out Jack D. Hunter's website. I contacted Mr. Hunter at his email address BStachel@aol.com (how cool is that email address) about purchasing a personalized autographed copy of "The Blue Max" novel from his website .

He sent me a personal email the next very day with info on how to order the book which he autographed to me. He is also an aviation artist and paints for a commission. A very nice man with (like all of us here) a love for aviation.

The Blue Max is one One of my favorite books and movies. I have a copy of it on DVD which is awesome.

Here is his Mr Hunter's Bio:

Born in Hamilton, Ohio, in the Roaring Twenties, raised during the Great Depression, matured as a soldier in World War II, and seasoned in a subsequent half-century of journalism, public service, and corporate management, Jack Hunter came late to his adventure in aviation art.

As a graduate of Penn State University in 1943, he was transformed overnight from a saddle-shoed college boy into a foot-slogging infantryman. At war's end he left the Army as a decorated counter-intelligence officer and embarked on a 55-year professional trek through newspaper city rooms, radio news studios, magazine editorial offices, the inner sanctums of Congress, and corporate advertising suites. At age 40, bored with the corporate life, he began to write fiction in his spare time, and the first of his 16 novels, The Blue Max, became a million-copy best-seller and a major motion picture.

By 60, Hunter was ready to spend the twilight of his life in the historic ambience of St. Augustine, the nation's oldest city. He and his wife, Tommy, settled in -- she with her antiques shop, he with his writing and tireless study of aviation. Out of nostalgia and a lifelong love for antique aircraft, he revisited his boyhood hobby of sketching and painting the early planes.

Hunter's only art tutors were how-to books and trial and error. His only fan was his wife. One day Tommy decided that some of her clientele might be equally charmed by paintings of "those old crates," so she displayed several of her husband's pictures in her shop. They sold instantly, and Hunter, then in his 70's, had found a new career. The several hundred paintings produced in subsequent years have been acquired by art collectors, galleries, dealers, and aviation aficionados worldwide, the largest single collection -- 83 paintings -- being that owned by Phillip A. Gallo, of Alexandria, Va.

#1391584 - 05/24/04 02:24 PM Re: What do you think of Bruno Stachel ?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Smart observers here S!

#1391585 - 05/24/04 09:42 PM Re: What do you think of Bruno Stachel ?  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
About Bruno Stachel I don't know but about Stachel Charge I think it's very explosive \:D \:D

Just kiding, please don't get mad at me \:D

#1391586 - 05/24/04 10:03 PM Re: What do you think of Bruno Stachel ?  
FlyXwire Offline
FlyXwire  Offline

Get mad.........not at all........cause I barely got IT! \:D

#1391587 - 05/24/04 10:45 PM Re: What do you think of Bruno Stachel ?  
Lone Star Ace Offline
Simulated Ace
Lone Star Ace  Offline
Simulated Ace

Spring, TX
I think ricnunes was trying for a play on the words Satchel Charge. This would be an explosive device. Bruno was not an explosive device but was described as a Cobra by Willie Von Klugermann. He was just jealous that Bruno had shagged the Countess.

#1391588 - 05/24/04 11:47 PM Re: What do you think of Bruno Stachel ?  
FlyXwire Offline
FlyXwire  Offline

You mean the Countess played by Ursula Undress..........now SHE was a bombshell! \:D \:D \:D

#1391589 - 05/25/04 12:40 AM Re: What do you think of Bruno Stachel ?  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
Lone Star Ace is right I was playing with Satchel Charge words -> Well the only thing diferent in that word was the "a" changed position with the "t" \:D

Quote:
Originally posted by FlyXwire:
You mean the Countess played by Ursula Undress..........now SHE was a bombshell! \:D \:D \:D
Yeap, she was!
Unfortunally something tells me that now I would doubt that \:\)

#1391590 - 05/25/04 07:49 AM Re: What do you think of Bruno Stachel ?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Lone Star Ace:
I think ricnunes was trying for a play on the words Satchel Charge. This would be an explosive device. Bruno was not an explosive device but was described as a Cobra by Willie Von Klugermann. He was just jealous that Bruno had shagged the Countess.
Now that leads me to a new question for y'all:

If you'd been in Bruno Stachel's shoes, would you have gone to Switzerland with 'er, when she asked ? ;\) heh

#1391591 - 05/25/04 09:47 AM Re: What do you think of Bruno Stachel ?  
FlyXwire Offline
FlyXwire  Offline

Now if we had been Bruno Stachel, who would Bruno Stachel have been? ;\)

#1391592 - 05/25/04 12:48 PM Re: What do you think of Bruno Stachel ?  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
Quote:
Originally posted by FlyXwire:
Now if we had been Bruno Stachel, who would Bruno Stachel have been? ;\)
The explosive device, maybe? \:D

#1391593 - 05/25/04 04:05 PM Re: What do you think of Bruno Stachel ?  
Moritz of JG1 Offline
Moritz of JG1  Offline

Chesterfield, MO
Personally, I would love to see a re-make of the Blue Max, only one that is true to the book. Perhaps as a mini-series to get around the mindset of 90 to 120 minutes.

With computer graphics, the correct aircraft could come to life again. In the book Stachel has the Pfalz at phirst (sic) but lusts for and is given by his manipulative jastafuhrer one of the first DVII's. The jasta flies Albatrosen and transitions to DVII's. The airfield is modelled after Jasta 5's field of Boistrancourt (in the book).

The actor playing Stachel needs to pass as 18 going on 45. Sort of the 'heroin chick' of "Trainspotters" look.

#1391594 - 05/25/04 04:51 PM Re: What do you think of Bruno Stachel ?  
Lone Star Ace Offline
Simulated Ace
Lone Star Ace  Offline
Simulated Ace

Spring, TX
I agree this would be an excellent remake. Whom would you cast for the various roles? We could start a thread on that topic alone.

I think any movie based on the real WWI aces would be good as well.

Take your pick:
-Eddie Rickenbaker
-Frank Luke
-Albert Ball
-Manfred Von Ricthoven
-Ernst Udet
-Werner Voss

Here are some of the WWI aviation movies made so far encompassed within this list:

Military Aviation Movie List

#1391595 - 05/25/04 05:29 PM Re: What do you think of Bruno Stachel ?  
Dantes Offline
Dantes  Offline

Toronto, Canada
Hollywood recently seems to be on a retro comic book kick. George Pratt's Enemy Ace: War Idyll would be absolutely perfect to bring to the film screen. Sometimes I wish I was in charge of New Line.

If it had the same impressionist style as the graphic novel, it would be fantastic.

Forget the washed out blue-green transfer look of The Matrix type films. I'd like to see the canvas of film stop being so stilted by these lame colour overtones once more.

S!

#1391596 - 05/26/04 09:41 PM Re: What do you think of Bruno Stachel ?  
FlyXwire Offline
FlyXwire  Offline

I think actor Jude Law could pull off Bruno Stachel in a Blue Max remake.

#1391597 - 05/27/04 09:19 AM Re: What do you think of Bruno Stachel ?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Didnt his daddy ..... Law play von Richthofen in 'VR and Brown' ? Got it on tape somewhere.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.