Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#1391432 - 04/30/04 06:58 AM Words to live by  
Trajan Offline
Trajan  Offline

I got this from the Il2Fb forum.
Subsitute KOE for Il2. I think it says it all.

The IL-2 engine was a milestone in PC flight simulation, but there are simply too many variables to portrait all the possible forces that could act upon a different combat aircraft (not sure home many variants of aircraft IL-2 FB AEP has) while flight under extreme conditions.

That said, what we need to do is take this for what it is - a game and stop trying to compare it to real life - because we can't and never will.

Read the entire thing here:

http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/boards/bbs/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=98;t=009475

"We have come to bring you Liberty and Equality, but don't lose your head about it. The first one of you moves without my permission will be shot." Marshal of the Empire Francois Lefebyre
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#1391433 - 04/30/04 08:38 AM Re: Words to live by  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Salute IronHand!
Very interesting post!
I have never flown a real aircraft so these games will probably be as close as i will ever get to flying a real WWII aircraft. So i salute Oleg and Russia for creating such fun flight simms for only around 40 bucks. GOT TO LOVE IT. and it dosen`t hurt to bad when i crash. Plus you get a taste of what is was like for all the pilots in theses wars. Flight simms probably will never be exactly the same as the real thing, But what we are seeing now in games will be old stuff in ten years from now. Are kids will laugh at are old out dated Flight Simms and be playing a whole lot better stuff then we have. What did we have ten years ago, 286 cpu and windows 3.1. Took you all day just to fiqure out how to load your new game into your puter. I work with a few Russians and they get a kick out of me talking about there aircraft in IL2. We also get to learn a great deal of history playing theses games. Actually theses games might be funnier in away then flying the real thing. You get to shoot people down, plus you do things in a flight simm that you would probably be to scared to do in a real plane.
TAKE CARE!
Rooster

#1391434 - 04/30/04 03:36 PM Re: Words to live by  
Trajan Offline
Trajan  Offline

S! Rooster

I will never fly either, so games like Il2 are the closest I can get \:D I really hope KOE is done as well as Oleg's masterpiece. True, the campaigns are a little stale, as is the interface, but the FM/DM is fantastic.

I haven't seen anything that gives so much at that price. And what will the upcoming BoB give us?

All the recent talk of quality and immersion is fine. But we have to remember just what $40-$50 dollars will give us. And how it has to run on a wide variety of home PCs.

May your 6 always be clear!!

"We have come to bring you Liberty and Equality, but don't lose your head about it. The first one of you moves without my permission will be shot." Marshal of the Empire Francois Lefebyre
#1391435 - 04/30/04 05:25 PM Re: Words to live by  
Cas141 Offline
Cas141  Offline

Northern hemisphere
Yes, I'm hopeful for KOE- But I am disappointed in the lack of input on this forum by the developers. To say, they haven't time doesn't make sense.
Look at how Oleg's input boosted the IL2 image.
In KOE'sase, I could almost believe that someone has got this forum started - without there being a sim - and is sitting back watching all the hot air it has made!
There has been quite some heated stuff here for a sim that may not even get born.!

Mankind's problem is not failing to know the difference between right and wrong; - It is failing to know the difference between different and wrong
#1391436 - 04/30/04 08:03 PM Re: Words to live by  
Trajan Offline
Trajan  Offline

Think of all the wasted typing if it gets deep sixed.

#1391437 - 04/30/04 08:11 PM Re: Words to live by  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

yes, and if we'd implemented my energy conversion plan, the BLAH Project, we'd have supplied energy to most of the east coast for the past few months ;\)

But seriously, it makes me wonder what kind of support the game will get if it comes out buggy.

#1391438 - 04/30/04 10:22 PM Re: Words to live by  
Trajan Offline
Trajan  Offline

I did use your BLAH project for a bit \:D \:D
But I never paid you royalties.

#1391439 - 04/30/04 11:23 PM Re: Words to live by  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm hoping KOE will be better than IL2. I know, IL2 is everybody's darling, but I have never gotten past the aircraft performance inaccuracies in that game - American, British and German aircraft all have much lower top speeds than the real aircraft did. Yes, it's just a game - but the whole balance is thrown by a glaring problem like this. A P-51D at 20,000 feet could hit 400 mph - 600 kph or more - yet in the game it can barely break 300 mph. Not to mention the ridiculous tracer effects in FB. Oh well, just one man's opinion and I am still flying EAW because of it.

AK

#1391440 - 05/01/04 01:47 AM Re: Words to live by  
Trajan Offline
Trajan  Offline

To each his own of course. Myself I think EAW is way off. Which G-6 model is in that game? \:\)

But you have to keep one thing in mind. The high alt performance for every plane is porked in Il2.
The game engine was never designed for high alt combat.

#1391441 - 05/01/04 09:41 AM Re: Words to live by  
Neal Offline
Neal  Offline

Analog Kid, is that IAS or TAS?

Neal

#1391442 - 05/01/04 08:10 PM Re: Words to live by  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am assuming that I am reading IAS from the gauge in the cockpit. Checking any decent reference on the P-51D you will see a maximum airspeed in level flight listed at 437 mph at (if I am remembering correctly, I'll have to dig into my library and verify the altitude) 25000 feet. Since aircraft in those days had no easy way to measure TAS, I'm assuming that number is also indicated airspeed. According to my uncle, who flew P-51Ds in Europe during the war, somewhere around 400 mph was the top speed in real combat aircraft. Again, I'm assuming this is IAS. It seemed to me that the Russian aircraft don't seem to have this drop in performance.
Sorry if I seem like I'm nit-picking IL2, it's a good game. I'm just hoping for better.

AK

#1391443 - 05/01/04 08:19 PM Re: Words to live by  
Trajan Offline
Trajan  Offline

I don't think your nit-picking on Il2. I could nit-pick EAW to death \:D But both games have their fans. And both are enjoyable in their own way.

You just discovered the game engine limitation.
I am sure that the upcoming BoB won't have that problem \:D

Have a good one AK.

#1391444 - 05/01/04 10:05 PM Re: Words to live by  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Salute Everyone!
I wish some one would create a small map with 2 bases kinda close together for il2 so we could dog fight with the old biplanes that oleg has created in his new AEP cd. They fly really great! If we showed a great interest in his biplanes who knows he might create a WW1 flight simm. This is a perfect time for KOE to come out with there simm. There are alot of people just waiting for a great WW1 simm. This fall we might have a great selection of flight simms to choose from, KOE/IL2 BOB/IL2 PACIFIC FIGHTERS. I personally can`t wait to fly a Corsair and have Carrier landings in Pacific Fighters. \:D
Take Care!
Rooster

#1391445 - 05/01/04 10:32 PM Re: Words to live by  
Neal Offline
Neal  Offline

Analog Kid, you assume wrong. They converted IAS to TAS in order to know map miles and flight times.

There is an IAS to TAS chart in pdf format on disk 2 of FB, along with the manuals and reference card copy.

There is also whether or not you are running the mixture leaner with increase in altitude and if you are switching to the correct supercharger stage. Lst of all is do you trim as close as possible and either take a long time to work up to full speed or go a bit high and do a slight dive then wait for the plane to slow down to full speed, either way works but I like the shallow dive as it's quicker.

Neal

#1391446 - 05/05/04 01:22 AM Re: Words to live by  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok, that is good information Neal. I'm doing some research on the RUssian aircraft represented in FB - still looks like they have better performance compared to the other aircraft in the game.

AK

#1391447 - 05/07/04 10:08 AM Re: Words to live by  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by US95th Capt Rooster:
Salute Everyone!
I wish some one would create a small map with 2 bases kinda close together for il2 so we could dog fight with the old biplanes that oleg has created in his new AEP cd. They fly really great! If we showed a great interest in his biplanes who knows he might create a WW1 flight simm. This is a perfect time for KOE to come out with there simm. There are alot of people just waiting for a great WW1 simm. This fall we might have a great selection of flight simms to choose from, KOE/IL2 BOB/IL2 PACIFIC FIGHTERS. I personally can`t wait to fly a Corsair and have Carrier landings in Pacific Fighters. \:D
Take Care!
Rooster
I've built just such a mission. It's on the Normandy map so you have the French terrain. I even have the U-2 two seater as flyable (though only from external view as there is no cockpit) And it has balloons, and all of IL-2's biplanes in it.
You might find me in HL from time to time I am on the West Coast so I fly later hours. If you see 249th_Wildcard and I'm not in an Iron Skies mission, PM me and I'll set up the 249th_Biplane server.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.