Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#1391019 - 04/03/04 12:02 PM Re: Kill confirmation  
FlyXwire Offline
FlyXwire  Offline

St.Charles, Missouri U.S.A.
That's them, and WOW, look at all those Aces books............thanks Dantes!!!

It certainly was easier to judge when an opponent was "going over the edge" when you faced him across the battle table in person, wasn't it! \:D Instead of having to rely on stupid smilies or screen chatter to convey our emotions......good or bad! ;\)

I kinda miss the old days too Ironhand, but that's why I created a four-PC LAN down here.......my close buds still get together whenever time permits (and the wives too)! :rolleyes:

Damn Zatoh, we may have met!!! The shop you're speaking of was Games, Crafts, Hobbies & Things..........I put games on there all the time! Back when I was in college (back in the 70's) I worked at Epic Gallery in Militaria off of Woodson between St. Charles Rock Rd. and I-70. It was the first wargaming shop in the area............did you ever go there by chance?

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#1391020 - 04/03/04 02:12 PM Re: Kill confirmation  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

FlyXwire, we have definitely met! I was a high school student in the 70's and went to the Epic Gallery many times. (That was the place near the airport, right?) It was the best game store in St. Louis. I recall it had a really good selection of miniatures. If you worked there you probably saw me a lot. I was probably pretty obnoxious, which I will blame on my age at the time.

This is pretty funny.

Zatoh

#1391021 - 04/03/04 03:15 PM Re: Kill confirmation  
FlyXwire Offline
FlyXwire  Offline

Too wild Zatoh!!!

I was the good lookin' tall guy with the brown hair, brown eyes, and glasses behind the long display counter with the cash register near the front door! \:D

Remember the game room in the back, and the smell of hamburgers lingering there from the eats that everybody bought from Burger King up the street? \:\)

One of the regular young guys who hung around all of the time was named Marion I think (got to be pretty good chums with him).........wasn't you was it.........that would be just wild?

#1391022 - 04/03/04 03:37 PM Re: Kill confirmation  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

No, not me FlyXwire. My RL name is Alan. I remember talking to all of the store personnel, but not what any of them looked like. I'm not sure that you'd remember me, as I didn't play any games there, just looked and shopped. Still, this is pretty wild

I didn't game much outside of my own group in St. Louis, but one of my friends did. I remember he took me to a gaming club that had several massive sand tables in their gaming room. They had a rule that only completely painted miniatures could be used for their games. Maybe that was part of your group.

Zatoh

#1391023 - 04/03/04 03:52 PM Re: Kill confirmation  
Uther Offline
Aviation Coordinator
Uther  Offline
Aviation Coordinator
Hotshot

Upstate NY
That's some real nice work FlyXwire!

I never knew that there were that many books. That game I liked alot.

#1391024 - 04/03/04 04:00 PM Re: Kill confirmation  
FlyXwire Offline
FlyXwire  Offline

Holy Cow Alan!!!

Well then you may be talking about Olie Wischmeyer's place in North County (I helped build that sand table), or B. Nardin's place in South County. We all got around to each other's gaming group, and often all met together on Sunday's at the University of Missouri campus for area-wide game days!

I'm sure I might even recognize you today.........small world Alan, quite amazing this digital globe! \:\)

Thanks Uther, and I didn't know there were that many books either..........and I use to sell them! \:D

Dantes always keeps himself (and us) on top of this hobby of ours, both past and present very well.

#1391025 - 04/04/04 04:47 AM Re: Kill confirmation  
Trajan Offline
Trajan  Offline

"We have come to bring you Liberty and Equality, but don't lose your head about it. The first one of you moves without my permission will be shot." Marshal of the Empire Francois Lefebyre
#1391026 - 04/04/04 05:20 AM Re: Kill confirmation  
Wing Chaps Offline
Wing Chaps  Offline

Uprooted from Dixie
Quote:
Originally posted by FlyXwire:
Hey guys, I remember the Ace of Aces series! \:\)

I had the Rotary and the Inline editions, but always got my clock cleaned by my brother-in-law. \:D

Dantes, you say they're planning on bringing them back.......how many were there beside those two above?
Boy, I remember, too! I'd love to hear that they've come back!

I like cheese too!
#1391027 - 04/04/04 08:00 AM Re: Kill confirmation  
Neal Offline
Neal  Offline

It would be nice to have both confirmed and unconfirmed (computer tallied) kills.

Online it could be part of the teamplay. Pilots on return would say where and when they made or saw kills made, entered into the log as chat. The log itself would have when and where planes went down but not have shown that on screen. A log compiler could then come up with matches and near matches and make confirmations depending on conditionals. If you were alone then it is up to your squad to maintain honor.

For all that matter, would it be possible to have a key sequence that would log witness of a kill to yourself or another at the time you saw it and that would be in the log soon before or after the plane went down, also logged by the sim? Then it would be easier for the AI's to make witness as well, so it would be an offline and online feature.

Neal

#1391028 - 04/04/04 08:16 AM Re: Kill confirmation  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wow! Ace of Aces is coming back? That's great. I loved that game. I have all the sets and two sets of inlines. Plus I took the advanced plane charts from the Rotary Deluxe box and made charts for the inlines and Flying Machines planes as well. Right down to the drawings of the plane profiles!

Once you played the Deluxe advanced rules, you couldn't go back to Basic.

#1391029 - 04/04/04 01:19 PM Re: Kill confirmation  
FlyXwire Offline
FlyXwire  Offline

Beautiful stuff Ironhand......thanks for posting that link! \:\)

The closest I ever got to the Seven Years War were my Hessians and Brunswickers for the American Revolution.

Neat ideas Neal!!!

I think it would be awesome if there was something along the lines of a virtual newspaper (like a period-looking Gazette, or War Department Dispatches) to accompany our online activity! I don't know if Aspect is going to sponsor it's own multiplayer server, but wouldn't it be cool if we could follow the highlights of the virtual world through a central "depository"........a place where squadron/individual kills would be tracked, events scheduled, and where war storys and exploits could be told (like some of the RB and DOA Squads do..........only controlled by one central "authority")? \:\)

#1391030 - 04/04/04 04:27 PM Re: Kill confirmation  
Neal Offline
Neal  Offline

We could have all that and Aspect wouldn't have to code it all, just provide the engine with tools.

The tools:

Pre-mission screens settable by scripts, best method may be the use of html or like with one link destination that leads to running the mission.

Mission setup by text file, may be made by outside generator.

Active log output during mission that may be intercepted by outside programs or best through a text file named task program (IE line in config file) spawned by KOE with a pipe between for lean and mean 2 way communication.

Bonus would be KOE would need to be able to take a few simple commands (although more would be better) via console or task program for host commands (kick player, load mission, shut down, whatever suits), player chat, and timing for player respawn (would dearly love to see dead players have to wait like 30 seconds or more and become instant base defenders!).
Extras would be to allow changes to the environment like destroy or repair objects or airfields, set up and/or trigger AI flights, possibly even set up planes for players in coops not to all start at the same time.
All in all, those are not a lot of functions to support. The complexity is in the task program which the KOE default would only have to be simple and direct since the community WILL (I'd bet as much money as I could scrape up, knowing I'd be part of this happening) step in to create more and better support over time than any devel group can do in a man-year or more. Trust that!

Log output signalling end of mission would cause the task program to generate the post mission screens, next mission and respond upon completion with the post mission data filename.

Then post mission screens display same way as pre mission screens and one link target to run the next mission and one to exit KOE.

Of course, this could work for ANY sim that supports it.

Neal

#1391031 - 04/04/04 08:02 PM Re: Kill confirmation  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Since we are on the subject of online servers. What I would really like to see more than anything is for a mission builder to be able to limit the total number of each plane type on a dogfight server. Not just overall numbers, which he could specify such as 12 DR1's, 50 D7, 85 AlbDVa, etc, but at each specific airbase as well. He could thereby place all the DR1's at one airbase for example but there'd only be those 12 and when they were shot down, they'd be gone from the server.

Make it meaningful to get back home and land alive so the plane isn't lost from the server.

#1391032 - 04/04/04 09:02 PM Re: Kill confirmation  
SunScream Offline
SunScream  Offline

Northampton UK
Online campaigns \:\)

Alert Status Level: AWOOGA
#1391033 - 04/04/04 09:23 PM Re: Kill confirmation  
Trajan Offline
Trajan  Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by SunScream:
Online campaigns \:\)
I hope so \:\)

With a dead is dead option.

"We have come to bring you Liberty and Equality, but don't lose your head about it. The first one of you moves without my permission will be shot." Marshal of the Empire Francois Lefebyre
#1391034 - 04/05/04 06:31 PM Re: Kill confirmation  
Dantes Offline
Dantes  Offline

Toronto, Canada
For those who are interested in the Ace Of Aces books, there is a brand new Card-based WW1 dogfight game being released called Wings Of War. I've been watching this one being developed by some Italian designers and it looks like it is now being sold at Italian distributors through Nexus Games.

The cards are layed out to show a flight path of opposing fighters. It looks quite ingenious:

Example shot of the card:

Find out more here:

Wings Of War

I want this game so much it hurts. The art work is just beautiful and the gameplay looks like allot of fun:

It's always nice to see a new WW1 game get released. \:\)

S!

P.S. There is a pdf download of the rulebook to find out more about it. It's very nice with lots of pictures to describe how the game is played.

#1391035 - 04/05/04 10:55 PM Re: Kill confirmation  
FlyXwire Offline
FlyXwire  Offline

That is sharp Dantes!!!

I remember you previewing the game on the WWW forum months ago as it neared release.

Very nice............maybe we can paper clip our moves together and play by mail. ;\) \:D

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.