Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#1390109 - 03/31/04 04:43 PM Re: Will KOE be superior to RB3D+mods ?  
Trajan Offline
Trajan  Offline

And read the Relax thread Neal.

"We have come to bring you Liberty and Equality, but don't lose your head about it. The first one of you moves without my permission will be shot." Marshal of the Empire Francois Lefebyre
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#1390110 - 03/31/04 05:12 PM Re: Will KOE be superior to RB3D+mods ?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Ironhand:
And read the Relax thread Neal.
Guess I need to pull some quotes from that thread too.....

There's no getting around it......A bunch of you wanted a piece of a game, and that's what KOE gave.

Those of us that wanted what RB had, or more, got left out, judging by the KOE screenshots available.

So! Pat yourself on the back for a job well done!

#1390111 - 03/31/04 06:35 PM Re: Will KOE be superior to RB3D+mods ?  
Trajan Offline
Trajan  Offline

[troll deleted]

"We have come to bring you Liberty and Equality, but don't lose your head about it. The first one of you moves without my permission will be shot." Marshal of the Empire Francois Lefebyre
#1390112 - 03/31/04 07:37 PM Re: Will KOE be superior to RB3D+mods ?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Blah! Blah! Utter nonsense. Blah! Blah!
Yea, keep telling yourself that..........

#1390113 - 03/31/04 07:51 PM Re: Will KOE be superior to RB3D+mods ?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

[troll deleted]

#1390114 - 03/31/04 08:20 PM Re: Will KOE be superior to RB3D+mods ?  
Neal Offline
Neal  Offline

OMG.... I really walked into it this time.

Honest --- the last thing I thought, the dead last so far back it shouldn't be possible thing was that anyone would take that post seriously. Yeah, I keep forgetting about putting in smilies, winks and LOL's.

Crap I thought for sure that when faced with limits the guys who were willing to be realistic asked to make a smaller scope saturated to some degree rather than having the effort spread thin over the whole war.

If the team at Aspect can't make the thing expandable then I'd have big doubts about the bug level as well. I really do believe that such practice as expandability is or should be a standard in simulations from a ways back. I'm pretty sure that given the tortured path that RB2 had followed that expandability was in the original design but got lost under a ton of spagetti fixes done to the tune of the deadline trot and coreographed by suits with no experience in serious coding. I really did mourn for Dynamix, they had so much promise!

James, you need to get a new sense of humor. Your old one is worn right out and it takes humor to have perspective of more than your own desires. If the sim doesn't come out as you want then there just may be a chance it wasn't going to anyway because you want more than most companies can deliver for a marketable price, at least in one package. Sorry but it's true! If the sim can be done as modules that can fit each other into a bigger whole yet no one has to have them all then that might get sales enough to float a venture. Remember SWOTL? Remember the subsequent releases of planes? Things have come a VERY long way since then. Whole code libraries can be plugged into existing programs as long as they have the means to use them initially built in. These kinds of things are built into compilers, these and more. Settle down because there's only so much you or any non-Aspect people can do.

Neal

#1390115 - 04/01/04 11:29 AM Re: Will KOE be superior to RB3D+mods ?  
ArgonV Offline
Hotshot
ArgonV  Offline
Hotshot

College Station, Texas, USA
LoL! Isn't VonHelton the best? \:D

"Go Fly A Kite!"
-Jason R.
FS-WWI Project Leader
FS-WWI Plane Pack Site

Intel i9 10900k
Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Elite AC
64GB Corsair DDR4 2933 Vengeance RGB Pro
AMD XFX 7900 XTX Merc310 Black Edition
LG UltraGear 38GN95B-B 38" monitor
Corsair HX1200 PSU
1TB EVO 980 Pro M.2 PCIe x4 SSD
2TB EVO 980 Pro M.2 PCIe x4 SSD
Two 2TB EVO 860 SSDs
Sound Blaster ZxR
Win 10 x64 Pro
HOTAS Cougar #4069 w/Uber II Nxt mod #284 & UTM bushings
#1390116 - 04/01/04 03:07 PM Re: Will KOE be superior to RB3D+mods ?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Neal:
James, you need to get a new sense of humor. Your old one is worn right out and it takes humor to have perspective of more than your own desires.

Neal
I'm not the only one who's gonna be missing a "sense of humor" when veteran RB'ers load up KOE, thinking they'll have a fighting chance, only to find they're stuck in an Albatros, getting their butts shot off!

MvR chased a Camel all the way from the German side of the trench to deep inside the Allied Lines, close enough to where he could fire. This shows beyond any doubt that he had a more powerful engine than the 110 Oberursel, which couldn't catch a fly with a strong tail wind!

......But guess which engine we'll get?

All of the "experten" will jump in & whine & cry, and KOE will put the 110 Oberursel in, making the Dr1 late in the war a waste of time.

So that leaves us flying the Albatros until the Fokker D7 shows up. In the meantime, we'll lose pilots & planes left & right, and won't get medals or promotions because our fellow pilots keep dying!!

"Our airplanes are inferior to the English in a downright ridiculous manner.... Besides better quality aircraft they have quantity. Our fighter pilots, though quite good, are consequently lost! The [Albatros] D.5 is so antiquated and laughably inferior that we can do nothing with it."

THERE'S WHERE MY "HUMOR" WENT, NEAL!!

#1390117 - 04/01/04 03:52 PM Re: Will KOE be superior to RB3D+mods ?  
Trajan Offline
Trajan  Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by VonHelton:
Quote:
James, you need to get a new sense of humor. Your old one is worn right out and it takes humor to have perspective of more than your own desires.

Neal
I'm not the only one who's gonna be missing a "sense of humor" when veteran RB'ers load up KOE, thinking they'll have a fighting chance, only to find they're stuck in an Albatros, getting their butts shot off!

MvR chased a Camel all the way from the German side of the trench to deep inside the Allied Lines, close enough to where he could fire. This shows beyond any doubt that he had a more powerful engine than the 110 Oberursel, which couldn't catch a fly with a strong tail wind!

......But guess which engine we'll get?

All of the "experten" will jump in & whine & cry, and KOE will put the 110 Oberursel in, making the Dr1 late in the war a waste of time.

So that leaves us flying the Albatros until the Fokker D7 shows up. In the meantime, we'll lose pilots & planes left & right, and won't get medals or promotions because our fellow pilots keep dying!!

"Our airplanes are inferior to the English in a downright ridiculous manner.... Besides better quality aircraft they have quantity. Our fighter pilots, though quite good, are consequently lost! The [Albatros] D.5 is so antiquated and laughably inferior that we can do nothing with it."

THERE'S WHERE MY "HUMOR" WENT, NEAL!!
Sources for that quote?

If the DR.1 is faster because he caught May's Camel, then how did Brown catch up?

#1390118 - 04/01/04 04:00 PM Re: Will KOE be superior to RB3D+mods ?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
If the DR.1 is faster because he caught May's Camel, then how did Brown catch up?
Because Brown had some altitude.

#1390119 - 04/01/04 04:21 PM Re: Will KOE be superior to RB3D+mods ?  
Eddie_W Offline
Eddie_W  Offline

Bucks County. PA, USA
How come the engine that was recovered from MvR's forced landing was... a 110 Oberursel, as seen by the hundreds of thousands (millions, probably!) who've been through the Imperial War Museum in London.

Are you going to call THAT Allied propaganda?

#1390120 - 04/01/04 05:24 PM Re: Will KOE be superior to RB3D+mods ?  
Trajan Offline
Trajan  Offline

Sources for that quote.

#1390121 - 04/01/04 05:26 PM Re: Will KOE be superior to RB3D+mods ?  
Trajan Offline
Trajan  Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Eddie_W:
How come the engine that was recovered from MvR's forced landing was... a 110 Oberursel, as seen by the hundreds of thousands (millions, probably!) who've been through the Imperial War Museum in London.

Are you going to call THAT Allied propaganda?
Eddie, didn't you know it had a nitros setup as well \:D \:D

#1390122 - 04/01/04 06:00 PM Re: Will KOE be superior to RB3D+mods ?  
Trajan Offline
Trajan  Offline

Manufacturer: Fokker Fokker Flugzeug-Werke GmbH
In service: 1917 - 1918
Length: 18' - 11''
Wingspan: 23' - 7''
Height: 9'-8''
Basic Empty Weight: 893 lbs
Gross Weight: 1.289 lbs
Crew: 1
Armament: 2 Spandau 7.92 mm machine guns
(synchronised with propeller)
Maximum speed: 103 mph (165 kmh, at 13.100 ft)
Maximum range: 125 miles
Maximum altitude: 14.000 ft
Endurance: 1 h 30 min (expected)
Engine type: Oberursel, reciprocating, 9 cyls, 110 HP
or Le Rhône 9, 110 pk

Performance Data of the Sopwith Camel
Type fighter
Engine: 130 hp Clerget
Wing Span: 28 ft (8.53 m)
Length: 18 ft 9 in (5.72 m)
Height: 8 ft 6 in (2.59 m)
Maximum Speed: 115 mph (185 kph)
Maximum Height: 19,000 ft (5,774 m)
Endurance: 2 hours 30 minutes
Armament: 2 machine-guns

Yep, the Dr1 is faster. It flies higher. It has a longer range. :rolleyes:

#1390123 - 04/01/04 06:29 PM Re: Will KOE be superior to RB3D+mods ?  
Wireman Offline
Lurker Extraordinaire
Wireman  Offline
Lurker Extraordinaire
Hotshot

The First State, USA
Source? ;\)

#1390124 - 04/01/04 06:34 PM Re: Will KOE be superior to RB3D+mods ?  
SunScream Offline
SunScream  Offline

Northampton UK
err.. Ironhand..
Your DR1 seems to be shy of some altitude. I have an operational ceiling of 6100m (20030ft) for a 110hp UR2 engine, according to Munson.

Alert Status Level: AWOOGA
#1390125 - 04/01/04 06:44 PM Re: Will KOE be superior to RB3D+mods ?  
Neal Offline
Neal  Offline

MvR was able to keep up with Mays because in the beginning he had an alt advantage and was able to get close enough to the never seen combat rookie to put some shots near him, MvR being a very good marksman, which got Mays to jinking heavily and bleeding his speed which let MvR stay with him but apparently not close enough to do much if any actual damage let alone shoot him down which MvR had been able to do even from outside close range often enough. Perhaps he could have closed if Brown hadn't closed on him and gave him something else to do.

That chase proved to be MvR's undoing anyway. the man was a great shot, a great leader and a great tactician. He was also a glory hungry vulture who preyed on enemies damaged by his own wing or just the ones who were inept or helpless, at least once he got in charge of the circus. Note how it was that Boelcke died.

Neal

#1390126 - 04/01/04 07:05 PM Re: Will KOE be superior to RB3D+mods ?  
Trajan Offline
Trajan  Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by SunScream:
err.. Ironhand..
Your DR1 seems to be shy of some altitude. I have an operational ceiling of 6100m (20030ft) for a 110hp UR2 engine, according to Munson.
I am sure you do. \:D I came across several sites that had different figures.

You pay yor money and take your chances ;\)

I also read that the high alt performance of the Dr was not that great.

http://www.luftfahrtgeschichte.com/dr1.htm
http://fokkerdr1.freehosting.net/
http://www.republika.pl/zbyhu3/FokDr1/
http://home.wanadoo.nl/chretiendoll/fokker_dr1.htm
http://www.fokkerdr1.com/Dr1_Specifications.htm

The last has alot of info

#1390127 - 04/01/04 07:34 PM Re: Will KOE be superior to RB3D+mods ?  
PatWilson Offline
PatWilson  Offline

usually centered in somebody e...
Quote:
the man was a great shot, a great leader and a great tactician. He was also a glory hungry vulture who preyed on enemies damaged by his own wing or just the ones who were inept or helpless, at least once he got in charge of the circus. Note how it was that Boelcke died.

Neal
Some counterpoints:
1. When MvR took command of Jasta 11 it was an underperforming unit. Those same pilots went on to be the primary contributors to bloody April. Many pilots under MvR became aces. If he was first and foremost a glory hungry vulture then I doubt his men would have flourished under his command (glory hungry, certainly, to some degree. vulture, no).

2. MvR, like almost all pilots, took his victories where they came. Many of his victims were rookies. Many were not. He is sometimes criticized for shooting down alot of two seaters. Such criticism is nothing short of assinine. Shooting down two seaters is what scouts were first and foremost supposed to do, and MvR understood this.

3. I have never heard any evidence that MvR allowed his fellow pilots to cripple a plane so he could finish it. Some of his pilots have stated that the opposite was true (although I question this too).

4. The Triplane was almost as fast as the Camel (115 SL vs 118 SL - so little difference that it really comes down to engine tuneup). The 103 MPH usually stated for the DRI is at 10000 feet. The same wry joke about needing to fight your way out because you couldn't run was aplpied to both aircraft.

5. MvR's flying skills are also often questioned. All evidence points to the fact that he was a superb flyer, in complete command of his aircraft. What he was not was a flashy flier. Most pilots flew for the joy of flying. MvR stated that he could care less about flying, he would prefer to be on a horse. It was the hunt that thrilled him. This does not mean that he was a poor flier. He was absolutely expert in the handling of his aircraft as a killing machine. He simply could not care less about aerobatics for the joy of aerobatics.

MvR was not a warm, cuddly figure. He was a bit cold and a bit stand-offish. His love of hunting - humans - does not play well to modern sensibilities. He was of a different culture, born to minor nobility, raised in a military school in a militaristic culture. Combat was glorious, death accepted. Applying 21st century sensibilities to this ealry 20th century man is IMHO not entirely fair.

He was also human. He was very much loved by his men. Not just respected, but truly revered. You see the human side come through in some of his letters. His pain at the loss of so many comrades. Even misgivings when a series of his victims went down in flames. However, he was a product of the Prussian military elite. One did not speak off loss or the painof killing. Such talk as nonsense. One did one's duty and all else was secondary.

The lucky man is the man who leaves as little to chance as possible.
#1390128 - 04/01/04 10:54 PM Re: Will KOE be superior to RB3D+mods ?  
kail Offline
kail  Offline

Quote:
That chase proved to be MvR's undoing anyway. the man was a great shot, a great leader and a great tactician. He was also a glory hungry vulture who preyed on enemies damaged by his own wing or just the ones who were inept or helpless, at least once he got in charge of the circus. Note how it was that Boelcke died.

Neal
standard tactics was for the aces to take the shots. Once he was in charge of the circus, overall command of the battle from an advantage would seem to be the job description.

Boelcke's collison was caused by MvR's target plane not by MvR himself.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.