Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#1390069 - 03/30/04 12:56 PM Re: Will KOE be superior to RB3D+mods ?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by guderian ente:
Getting half a game?

Well, to stop that, you should've said something.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#1390070 - 03/30/04 12:56 PM Re: Will KOE be superior to RB3D+mods ?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

\:\( WtF happened to my thread ! :p \:D

#1390071 - 03/30/04 01:03 PM Re: Will KOE be superior to RB3D+mods ?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Bobby:
\:\( WtF happened to my thread ! :p \:D
You asked if KOE will be superior to RB + Mods.

[Threads being fixed]

#1390072 - 03/30/04 03:28 PM Re: Will KOE be superior to RB3D+mods ?  
JAS Gripen Offline
JAS Gripen  Offline

Suomi Finland
This is hysterical lol

-It's the campaign engine, silly!-
#1390073 - 03/30/04 03:38 PM Re: Will KOE be superior to RB3D+mods ?  
PatWilson Offline
PatWilson  Offline

usually centered in somebody e...
Quote:
Originally posted by ArgonV:
Quote:
Originally posted by PatWilson:
RB II/3D uses a physics based FM, not a table based one (original RB was table based). Many of the FM parameters are simplified, after all, it was supposed to run oon a 133 MHz machine, but it is physics based all the same.

Regardless, KOE almost has to do better. They have 10-20x the computing power to play with.
Pat, can a wheel in RB3d bounce or roll along the ground? Does each object have weight, inertia and mass? Can a wing detach from an aircraft and fall to the ground?
Rolling wheel graphics are not modeled, but the action is, as is bounce and ground effect.

Planes have weight, drag, inertia, control surface inertia for each control surface, control surface area, position of control surface in X,Y,Z coordinates, thrust, drag, center of gravity, and lots of other flight model parameters. There are about 60 odd plane specific parameters that make up the flight model.

A plane can come apart and the individual pieces do fall, but this is not modeled in a terribly sopisticated way. In reality, a biplane should fold up when a major portion of wing is lost. In RB this is not the case as the biplane structural dependencies are not well modeled. In fact, in some versions of the FM losing plane parts would improve performance on some planes because the calculated decrease in drag made up for the loss of lift (I did mention the lack of sophistication \:\) ). This has been largely overcome in user modified FMs, which shows that the FM engine is OK, it's just some of the data inputs that were screwy.

So ... RB has a physics based FM. It is not a sophisticated FM by today's standards, but it is not table based.

The lucky man is the man who leaves as little to chance as possible.
#1390074 - 03/30/04 05:10 PM Re: Will KOE be superior to RB3D+mods ?  
LORD BYRON Offline
LORD BYRON  Offline

Medfield MA USA
Pat,

Be honest - FM's were not a strong suit of RB2/3D. It did purport to offer a physics-based "realistic" FM mode. But the physics upon which it was based were not of the earthly variety. Remember the amazing multiple vertical Immelman feats performed by the Alb D.III in the "realistic" FM mode? Or the fact that the Camel would actually perform better after losing its upper wing to damage?

LB edit - Oops, just re-read your above post and you DO remember the Camel shedded-wing performance boost! Aaaah, those were the good old days .... ;-)

I recall that a lot of people actually came to prefer playing in the old "normal" FM mode. which, for all it faults, was actually perceived as more reasonable than the "realistic" mode.

On that note, I wonder whatever happend to the FGMOF....

LB

#1390075 - 03/30/04 05:32 PM Re: Will KOE be superior to RB3D+mods ?  
PatWilson Offline
PatWilson  Offline

LB: The only comment that I was making was that RBII is physics based, not table based. I freely acknowledge that the physics are extrapolated, and therefore far less than perfect. I will argue, however, that WITH THE RIGHT DATA the algorithms are not at all bad. What made the "realistic" FM so awful was the data that was fed to it. The really silly effects have been pretty much eliminated by newer, user made FMs. The fact that a different data set can produce pretty good results shows that the underlying algorithms are really not that awful. Many a modern flight sim has worse FMs out of the box than WvW's or Greybeards RB FMs (IL2 is not one of them \:\) ).

FGMOF: BlueVoss is still around. Chuck Holden hasn't been heard from in a long time.

One final note: Nobody should interpret the above commentary as "RB is the paragon of flight modeling". All I am trying to say is that it is physics based (a fact) and that it is not awful if it gets the right data (an opinion). If KOE is not a whole lot better it will be a huge disappointment.

#1390076 - 03/30/04 06:07 PM Re: Will KOE be superior to RB3D+mods ?  
LORD BYRON Offline
LORD BYRON  Offline

Medfield MA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by PatWilson:
LB: The only comment that I was making was that RBII is physics based, not table based. I freely acknowledge that the physics are extrapolated, and therefore far less than perfect. I will argue, however, that WITH THE RIGHT DATA the algorithms are not at all bad. What made the "realistic" FM so awful was the data that was fed to it. The really silly effects have been pretty much eliminated by newer, user made FMs. The fact that a different data set can produce pretty good results shows that the underlying algorithms are really not that awful. Many a modern flight sim has worse FMs out of the box than WvW's or Greybeards RB FMs (IL2 is not one of them \:\) ).

FGMOF: BlueVoss is still around. Chuck Holden hasn't been heard from in a long time.

One final note: Nobody should interpret the above commentary as "RB is the paragon of flight modeling". All I am trying to say is that it is physics based (a fact) and that it is not awful if it gets the right data (an opinion). If KOE is not a whole lot better it will be a huge disappointment.
No harshness intended toward you personally on my part. Just reminiscing. I had fallen out of the loop for a bit and missed the WvW and Grebeard FM work. The last I remembered was Panama Red's FM project. I do remember the hair pulling frustration of BV & the FGM's at the start. BTW, was the "normal" FM also physics based? I thought that was table-based for some reason.

I will be very interested to see how KOE tackles the FM challenge.

LB

#1390077 - 03/30/04 07:55 PM Re: Will KOE be superior to RB3D+mods ?  
Trajan Offline
Trajan  Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by FlyXwire:
I'm looking forward to the beta-test, and eating cheese!

I like cheese!!! \:\)
Wisconsin cheese? Chedder? Provolone?

Do you cut the cheese? \:D

"We have come to bring you Liberty and Equality, but don't lose your head about it. The first one of you moves without my permission will be shot." Marshal of the Empire Francois Lefebyre
#1390078 - 03/30/04 08:04 PM Re: Will KOE be superior to RB3D+mods ?  
PatWilson Offline
PatWilson  Offline

lol - just trying to be clear so as not to get jumped on. A couple of times I have made RB related comments only to get the "you guys think RB is perfect ... yada yada yada" spiel. For whatever reason, I do not feel as though I can be as relaxed here as on the Delphi boards, so some of my posts come across as a bit stiff.

Normal FM in RB is also physics based, but even more simplistic in its algorithms. Not positive, but I think "normal" FM uses a subset of the parameters in "advanced" FM.

As for RB, if I thought it was perfect or, in some aspects, even fixable, I wouldn't be waiting for KOE \:\) . I do not want KOE to be RB with better graphics. I want KOE to be RB with better graphics, FM, DM, AI, missions, squadron management, campaigns, ...

#1390079 - 03/30/04 08:06 PM Re: Will KOE be superior to RB3D+mods ?  
ArgonV Offline
Hotshot
ArgonV  Offline
Hotshot

College Station, Texas, USA
Gotcha PatWilson. \:\)

As for Von Helton, I did not insist such. I merely stated that it would be more likely that KOE would only be a snapshot of WWI and I'd rather have quality and a soon release date than quantity and a far off release date. [Troll deleted] As for going "My 5 year old game with WWI user-made aircraft is FAR better than the newer KOE with better 3d models and more realistic FMs that's a true stand alone WWI sim product..." well you get the idea... :rolleyes:

"Go Fly A Kite!"
-Jason R.
FS-WWI Project Leader
FS-WWI Plane Pack Site

Intel i9 10900k
Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Elite AC
64GB Corsair DDR4 2933 Vengeance RGB Pro
AMD XFX 7900 XTX Merc310 Black Edition
LG UltraGear 38GN95B-B 38" monitor
Corsair HX1200 PSU
1TB EVO 980 Pro M.2 PCIe x4 SSD
2TB EVO 980 Pro M.2 PCIe x4 SSD
Two 2TB EVO 860 SSDs
Sound Blaster ZxR
Win 10 x64 Pro
HOTAS Cougar #4069 w/Uber II Nxt mod #284 & UTM bushings
#1390080 - 03/30/04 09:05 PM Re: Will KOE be superior to RB3D+mods ?  
II./JG1_Rudi Offline
II./JG1_Rudi  Offline

Acton, MA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by guderian ente:
Thanks, guderian ente, for making me laugh out loud...I needed that. S!

Hptm. Rudolf "Rudi" Glockner
XO, Staffel 5
II./JG1 Oesau
#1390081 - 03/30/04 10:07 PM Re: Will KOE be superior to RB3D+mods ?  
Trajan Offline
Trajan  Offline

I hope KOE is to WW1 flight what Il2FB is to WW2 flight games/sims/whatnot.

"We have come to bring you Liberty and Equality, but don't lose your head about it. The first one of you moves without my permission will be shot." Marshal of the Empire Francois Lefebyre
#1390082 - 03/30/04 10:39 PM Re: Will KOE be superior to RB3D+mods ?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I believe KOE will be superior because it will have modern graphics and better DM and FM.
Will the offline campaign be better? Wait and see.
Will online play be better? Depends on how many can fly online, how much security the game has and what options are available for online wars.

#1390083 - 03/30/04 10:57 PM Re: Will KOE be superior to RB3D+mods ?  
FlyXwire Offline
FlyXwire  Offline

St.Charles, Missouri U.S.A.
Well here's a big cheezie smile for all those who have made past predictions of this or that on the KOE forum here......cause you're all full of hot air! \:D

In the meantime it'll be fun to bring back this old post of mine now, to see how everyone has measured up over these past months:

So you wana be a KOE beta tester!

Here's some possible qualifications:

Demonstrated knowledge of the subject matter (of WWI aviation history, and of current flight sim developments in general)

An ability to communicate (through the written word, and constructively)

The ability to use cognitive skills (for the identification and reporting of errors or problems, which is the primary purpose of beta testing)

Perceived trustworthiness (since the beta testing process is meant to correct problems, not publicize them)

So how do you think you've scored?

I wonder if Aspect has their list of testers already worked up..........and for those who don't make the cut, well maybe you never got any of this in the first place.........

#1390084 - 03/30/04 11:06 PM Re: Will KOE be superior to RB3D+mods ?  
Trajan Offline
Trajan  Offline

They may even decided to do just in house testing just to avoid the inevitable headaches.

#1390085 - 03/30/04 11:26 PM Re: Will KOE be superior to RB3D+mods ?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

[troll deleted]

#1390086 - 03/31/04 01:40 AM Re: Will KOE be superior to RB3D+mods ?  
Jamm0r Offline
Jamm0r  Offline

USA
Christ this place is pathetic, Von Helton is Von Helton, like him or hate him, he has his opinions and won't change, for better or worse. Hello mods????

[troll and bashing deleted PS I agree with your opinion this place needs to calm down]

#1390087 - 03/31/04 01:44 AM Re: Will KOE be superior to RB3D+mods ?  
ArgonV Offline
Hotshot
ArgonV  Offline
Hotshot

College Station, Texas, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Jamm0r:
Christ this place is pathetic, thanks to both "ArgonV" and "FlyXwire" for turning this forum into a cesspool. Von Helton is Von Helton, like him or hate him, he has his opinions and won't change, for better or worse. But you two.. you two just take the friggin cake. Don't agree with the man? Fine. But where do you get off on spamming this board with the childish bull****? Grow the hell up, I don't give a damn about your pathetic little pissing contest. Hello mods????
VonHelton is who he is. However you know what they say: "If ya can't beat 'em, join 'em!" \:D I refuse to let VonHelton be the only one here obnoxiously trying to prove a point. At least my points are valid ones with proof and cited sources! \:D (See the Relax... thread)

"Go Fly A Kite!"
-Jason R.
FS-WWI Project Leader
FS-WWI Plane Pack Site

Intel i9 10900k
Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Elite AC
64GB Corsair DDR4 2933 Vengeance RGB Pro
AMD XFX 7900 XTX Merc310 Black Edition
LG UltraGear 38GN95B-B 38" monitor
Corsair HX1200 PSU
1TB EVO 980 Pro M.2 PCIe x4 SSD
2TB EVO 980 Pro M.2 PCIe x4 SSD
Two 2TB EVO 860 SSDs
Sound Blaster ZxR
Win 10 x64 Pro
HOTAS Cougar #4069 w/Uber II Nxt mod #284 & UTM bushings
#1390088 - 03/31/04 01:45 AM Re: Will KOE be superior to RB3D+mods ?  
FlyXwire Offline
FlyXwire  Offline

St.Charles, Missouri U.S.A.
Uh oh, no group hug for Jamm0r! \:D

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.