Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#110204 - 07/28/05 07:40 PM Thrustmaster FLCS / WCS II / RCS: "Runtime Overflow Error"?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, I've tried a used Thrustmaster FLCS / WCS II /RCS on my DOS 6.2 Pentium 100 to play Strike Commander (CD version).

I use the Strike Commander FLCS script included with the Thrustmaster DOS software I've downloaded from the Thrusmaster Website, as well as the RT200 patch (for Pentium II and above; fast computers).

When I run Strike Commander, the intro and the menu worked fine. But when I started flying, the game just gave me a black screen with "Runtime Overflow Error" message.

What happened? What line should I modify in the scripts?

I am sure it wasn't joystick problem because my TM works fine as normal joystick (keyboard connector unplugged), and the script downloaded successfully. What's wrong?

I don't know whether this matters, but my joystick is plugged into a Soundblaster 16 Vibra. I also connect through Creative Labs' MIDI/joystick "split cable", but there is no MIDI device connected to the cable.

Is the split cable that caused the problem? I hope not. I hope it is possible to simultaneously connect both MIDI device and TM setup (with pedals) through the MIDI/joystick split cable.

Also, I just purchased a Yamaha DB50XG MIDI daughterboard from ebay, but I read that a plugged joystick can cause the daughterboard to mute. The workaround is to use a MIDI/joystick split cable; the one from Creative could be better.

So is it possible to have joystick/throttle/pedal setup through the MIDI/joystick split cable?

Many thanks.
-Kresh

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#110205 - 07/29/05 06:13 PM Re: Thrustmaster FLCS / WCS II / RCS: "Runtime Overflow Error"?  
jeroen Offline
jeroen  Offline

arnhem, netherlands
Does the game run at all?

What does the script do?
Does it work in a texteditor?
Does it have any functions that generate a lot of keystrokes?

2147483647 angels can dance on the point of a needle.
Add one and they will all turn into devils.
#110206 - 07/30/05 11:42 AM Re: Thrustmaster FLCS / WCS II / RCS: "Runtime Overflow Error"?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by jeroen:
Does the game run at all?
Yes, the intro and the menu works fine, but when I start flying, the error happened.

Quote:
What does the script do?
Basically it maps keyboard buttons to the chip inside the Thrustmaster. See, TM merely 'emulate' keyboard keystrokes; that's why it works in DOS and driver-less.

Quote:
Does it work in a texteditor?
Yes.

Quote:
Does it have any functions that generate a lot of keystrokes?
Yes, a lot. Especially when using WCSII as digital throttle. See, in digital throttle mode, moving the throttle back and forth actually emulates the keys needed to increase and decrease the throttle with keyboard.

I suspect it is actually keyboard instead of joystick problems, because like I said, the Thrustmaster works fine as normal joystick (the keyboard connector is unplugged from the stick).

By the way, I'm not sure whether it is related or not, but the Creative 16 Vibra soundcard I use to connect my TM setup was dead shortly after. It was completely dead; not only the joystick port, but the entire sound card as well. When I rebooted my P-100 to Windows 95, the soundcard is not detected at all, as if there's no soundcard being plugged to the mobo.

I'm not sure whether it was the joystick setup that killed the soundcard, or the amplifier. See, after Strike Commander hung because of the "Runtime Overflow Error", I punched the reset button without turning off the power amp. Thus I got a loud 'DUB!' sound and everything went awry.

#110207 - 08/12/05 12:29 PM Re: Thrustmaster FLCS / WCS II / RCS: "Runtime Overflow Error"?  
Slick Offline
Slick  Offline

Charlotte, North Carolina, USA
Thrustmaster made a patch for this I think.

http://ts.thrustmaster.com/eng/

You'll have to register in order to get the patch file for the WCS II.

"Life is tough, it's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.