Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#100463 - 08/19/04 10:16 AM Dude you're getting a Dell and a trip to Hell  
Hentzau Offline
Hentzau  Offline

Tampa, Florida USA
So I bought a Dell a year ago thinking that "Birds of Prey" was going to be out(but thats another story). Try to install a few games, but the thing has problems installing a game here and a game there. About the same time I use windows update and the registry gets corrupted, won't even let me restore(the only other computer I've had is an IBM from '98 thats never even needed a reformat). So I basically ignore the Dell for a year, but now I've picked up IL2FB AEP and Century of Flight and I want to fly some biplanes. Reformat and install windows XP, try to install SP2, but it doesn't want to finish installing. ACK

I happen to have a spare new CDRW so I swap that out thinking maybe the Dell CDRW is crap, but I get the same thing. Also happen to have a spare new 40 Gig drive sitting around(I can't resist rebates) so I install that, format, install XP, and install SP2. Now I can install games, wahoo! Guess my Dell had a bad hard drive from the beginning. Next time I build my own, if I can find good rebates. \:D

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#100464 - 08/19/04 06:38 PM Re: Dude you're getting a Dell and a trip to Hell  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Don't you have to install SP1 before installing SP2?

#100465 - 08/20/04 07:31 AM Re: Dude you're getting a Dell and a trip to Hell  
Hentzau Offline
Hentzau  Offline

Tampa, Florida USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Ape:
Don't you have to install SP1 before installing SP2?
I didn't have to because the Dell's recovery disk came with SP1a already slipstreamed(is that the term?) into XP. So I'm not sure if YOU have to or not? I kind of think you don't have to from reading posts about people slipstreaming SP2 into XP, but I'm not positive.

#100466 - 08/20/04 09:37 PM Re: Dude you're getting a Dell and a trip to Hell  
Red Harvest Offline
Red Harvest  Offline

Dell machines have gone to crap over the last few years. Lots of hardware failures now, when they used to be rare. Their support has sunk to low end as well. Love the new fraudulent Dell commercials that feature an anglo on the phone, when in reality all you get is some poor fellow in India. I'm not blaming the Indian phone support folks, it is Dell's support script that is the killer now. Used to be totally different.

What really sucks about Dell is that you now have a high probability of getting a bad component, based on work I've done for my friends and work PC's I've used (unlike years ago when I owned one.) However, with all the hoops they make you jump through it is cheaper to just buy a replacement than spend two days proving a drive or memory chip is defective...then sending off the part and waiting.

Big problem with these vendors is no Windows disk, only their "custom" mess. Then when you go to upgrade you might find that there is some proprietary hardware set up too--such as the ATX power connections on older Dell's (don't know about newer ones.)

#100467 - 08/21/04 10:30 AM Re: Dude you're getting a Dell and a trip to Hell  
Hentzau Offline
Hentzau  Offline

Tampa, Florida USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Red Harvest:
Then when you go to upgrade you might find that there is some proprietary hardware set up too--such as the ATX power connections on older Dell's (don't know about newer ones.)
I think I read that Dell did away with the proprietary connections prior to my buying one. Good thing too since my computer is now about 30% non Dell! Shame that the parts I was going to build a spare computer with got used up just making my Dell work. Maybe I'll make a "Don't buy Dell" shirt and walk circles around a mall kiosk. ;\)

Read that EMachines have the highest major manufacturer reliability ratings now. They put tech support in charge of quality control.

#100468 - 08/21/04 07:15 PM Re: Dude you're getting a Dell and a trip to Hell  
Forward Observer Offline
Forward Observer  Offline

Central Arkansas,US of A
You know of course that E-machines are made by Gateway and are mostly assembled in Indonesia.

That may not be a bad thing, but it is worth knowing.

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
#100469 - 08/22/04 03:30 PM Re: Dude you're getting a Dell and a trip to Hell  
Wudpecker Offline
Hotshot
Wudpecker  Offline
Hotshot

Santa Cruz, CA
If you're stuck with the Dell, try this dowloadable flight sim--Euro Air Wars--which runs okay on XP.
Hundreds of mods and a great worldwide support community.
(click on the "Pilot's" banner at the top of the page for links and information.)

http://www.simhq.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=41;DaysPrune=1000

Dell has gotten much too money-hungry. Have one of their printers. Not the greatest all-in-one. You can only buy the ink from Dell and the newest one has smaller cartridges!

Was it Alan Shepard who was asked how it felt to launch in a rocket and said "I was thinking I was sitting on a machine with a million parts--all made by the lowest bidder."

Dell goes for the lowest bidder. Buy your extras from name brands, who have a stake in good products. Dell seems to have forgotten this.

Wudpecker Sound Mods at Tally-Ho, Community Site:
http://www.sandbagger.uk.com/Wudyadd.html
Or land/sea/sky for Moggy's Midway at RAF_Chattenden http://www.mogggy.org/midway/wudy/wudpecker.htm

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.