Originally posted by FlyRetired:
but then why don't designers provide their customers with full-featured titles from the get-go? (in the long run it is the best way to go.....and for all parties involved)
Sorry for the late answer to this interesting point you're raising. Here's the answer to your question regarding TvsT:

Initially, in the old thread I started on TvsT in late 2005, I asked the community in behalf of IDDK what they would prefer:

1) a shorter development phase with lesser content, but more content to be released down the line...

--or--

2) a longer development phase with more content.

... pretty much everyone wanted the shorter development phase!

Interestingly enough, now the "same community" is kinda getting into the sentiment of "why the heck is there no mission editor in the initial release of the game?"

Kind of funny, no? biggrin

But I can understand the "development in pieces" approach: The Producers gave money to the devs and funded thus the project. An outline was made as to what to do with that fund and how far the development of a "playable + sellable game" would go with it.

Everything else is put towards the next release, may it be a free add-on or a commercial sequel.

Either way, IDDK is funding further enhancements and updates of the game with return money from the sales of the initial release... and I guess we all can accept the producers' decision here.

And, being part of the pre-alpha testers, I am very pleased with the progress they have made since the first prototype versions I laid my hands on!

So, I am not worried about the future of the game and I would like to remind you all that this whole thing is planned as a series - hence the name "WWII Battle Tanks: blah, blah".

That "blah, blah" could be replaced by something like "WWII Battle Tanks: Tank Killers", or "WWII Battle Tanks: Kurs 1943", or "WWII Battle Tanks: Battle of the Bulge"; and every add-on or expansion will get bigger and better! ...well, that's at least what I hope for! smile

So, if the game sells well enough for the producers and the devs to continue that series, I can imagine a very bright future for the title. But we got to start somewhere, even if that "somewhere" is lacking the initial mission editor... smile

PC: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz @ 4.6GHz | MSI GTX 980 4GB | ASUS Maximus VII Hero | G.SKILL Trident X Series 32GB RAM | 27" Acer Monitor (2560x1440) | 512GB Samsung 850 PRO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Official VKB North America Sales & Support