My 2001 Jag has started to develop some annoying “check engine” gremlins that evaded solving. Fix what was causing the error code and then get it for a different reason. So after 18 years of happy times, it was time to give her up. Wife was nervous when she took it and check engine light would come on and it would go into limp mode. My investments have been doing extremely well and it was time to take some money off the table.

Started looking at used Jaguar F-types and Mercedes SL 450 or 550 (same except for different engine). Found a couple relatively close and on a Saturday took the wife to see. We both felt the F type was a little small in the cabin room, but otherwise ok. We were both of the same opinion that the Mercedes was underwhelming. Interior seemed cheap for a high-end car. Seats were a bit hard with the leather stretched drumhead tight. We were both looking for something that was more similar to our Jag XK8. The salesman said have you looked at a Bentley. That hadn’t even been on my consideration list when I started my car search. He showed us one they had; Bentley Continental GT. Dark blue. Looked superb. We got in and loved it. But the choices of interior colors was bad. Blue leather that looked like old vinyl. The interior appointments were also blue. The wood panels were a very light yellowish wood. Great car with bad interior color choices.

Started researching the Bentley Continental GT. Reviews and mechanical reports were satisfactory. Then started searching for the right car at the right price. My target price was $50,000 - 65,000, low mileage, clean Carfax, pleasing colors.

After two months found the right thing. 2008 Bentley Continental GT Speed. The Speed has additional power and suspension and some other minor things. A dark blue. So dark it almost looks black until the sun brings out the blue. Good light cream color leather with dark blue/gray appointments, and medium dark burl wood panels. 27, 200 miles. Good Carfax and service records. It had the old infotainment system replaced with a very well done modern one. Sat nav and Apple CarPlay. All the new tech stuff. A $4,200customization that was properly mated with the existing car controls and steering wheel controls. Custom chrome wheels. Closed the deal for $57,000 out the door with $6,500 for my Jag. So $50,500.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Great condition. People think it’s new.

Wife and I are happy with it. It is truly a step above in quality of materials, fit, and finish. Parts aren’t plastic but metal. Almost too much in the way of features. Lots to learn about it all. Ride is so sedate and smooth. At 600 Horsepower it is fast 0-60 in 4.0 seconds and top speed of 202 Mph ( yeah, like I’ll ever see that).

Comfortable.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.