Originally Posted by DBond
I haven't played enough to know what heights can be hit with science and culture, but those numbers are the highest yet for me But it's also on epic, and you can see around turn 450. Like most good runs it snowballed after a certain point, and I pulled increasingly further ahead as the turns ticked by. Montezuma did manage to get his satellite up, but that was as close as any other civ came to winning.

I reinstalled Civ 5. Haven't played since 2018, but while playing Civ 6 I keep thinking that the wars were a lot better in civ 5. I can recall air battles, fun naval warfare and massed lines of troops on both sides battling it out. That's the one thing I feel I am not getting with Civ 6, so I plan to start another run in Civ 5 to see. With 6 so fresh it will be interesting to compare.

I will also be very interested in how you feel about 5 vs 6! There's something I can't put my finger on that doesn't quite work for me in 6, though it's been so long since I've played 5 maybe I'm glamorizing it.

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
This is known as "bad luck.”
-Robert Heinlein