I started building in the mid 1970s. I had to buy the individual integrated circuits, blank circuit boards, equipment to make circuit boards, etc and design/build from scratch. My first one took 1.5 years to design and build -- it worked but it did almost nothing. Nonetheless, I passed out Cigars at work -- and I don't smoke. When the first desktops were released in the late '70s, they were far better than my puny efforts. I quit and bought pre-built up until around 2000. However, since about 2000, I assemble parts bought online -- nothing I design.

Now, putting together a PC from parts one buys is a couple hours work -- and can be done in less than an hour by someone who really understands that build. Installing the software takes longer. However, diagnosing and fixing build problems can be VERY time consuming -- and cost money. Also, researching and picking parts and buying them takes very substantial time.

I agree with those who would rather buy pre-built. All things considered, if one price shops, pre-built is cost/time effective. Only build if building and problem solving gives satisfaction.

Sapphire Pulse RX7900XTX, 3 monitors = 23P (1080p) + SAMSUNG 32" Odyssey Neo G7 1000R curve (4K/2160p) + 23P (1080p), AMD R9-7950X (ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 420), 64GB RAM@6.0GHz, Gigabyte X670E AORUS MASTER MB, (4x M.2 SSD + 2xSSD + 2xHD) = ~52TB storage, EVGA 1600W PSU, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower, ASUS RT-AX89X 6000Mbps WiFi router, VKB Gladiator WW2 Stick, Pedals, G.Skill RGB KB, AORUS Thunder M7 Mouse, W11 Pro