This will be my third new custom rig from Cyberpower. I bought my first in 2009 and then again in 2014. I have been pleased with both but especially the last one since I am still using it with only a GPU upgrade about 5 years ago to a GTX 980. It's handled most everything I've thrown at it since then but I knew I was itching to get a newer rig. Besides, with the fact that most people aren't using optical drives anymore, the need for a full-size tower is not as great and they seemed to be pushing only the mid-size towers. None of them appear to come with bays for opticals anyway. I will keep my current rig as a back up and it has both a Blu-ray reader/writer plus a CD/DVD reader in it so that will cover my bases if I have the need. Actually, I also still have my old 2009 PC sitting in the closet that I could remove the optical drive from and put them in a case that converts them to externals if I wanted to. Hell, one can buy a low-profile external now for less than the cost of the conversion cases.

Consequently, I picked a basic unit in my price range ($2000 to $2500) and customized a few things. Actually, I didn't change much but besides stepping up from a 120mm fan liquid cooling system to a two fan 240mm system plus I ordered a white case instead of a black one. I'm tired of looking at the impossible to clean dust build-up in the nooks and crannies of my current all-black rubber-coated rig. I actually have to take it outside and use a damp rag to really clean it.

Most of Cyberpower's units, if not all, in this price range, have an RTX3070 NVidia card listed as standard. To step up to an RTX 3080 would add $500 extra plus add a week of lead time. That extra cost does not seem to reflect the actual price differences I'm seeing so it must be driven by scarcity.

Due to a shortage of components (mostly GPU's from what I understand), their build times have gone from about a week to 5 or 6 weeks. Because of this, they are posting a code for an additional 5% off at checkout. There is no rush delivery available at any price anyway.

I do have one question though.

The base PC I chose is listed to have the new i7-11700K processor. This is a new model that I think was just released officially like yesterday with the i7-10700 previously being the top of the i7 lineup. I'm not sure any retailers even have them in stock yet. However, at the same time, Intel is also releasing a
new i9-11700 and I can upgrade my unit to this processor for only $154 more.

Would it be worth it or am I just obsessing over something that won't ever affect me that much?

Cheers

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.