Quick follow-up to the last few posts gents. The "Bumps" section of the simulation.xml file has most of its entries changed via the different turbulence/wind settings in JJJ's multi-mod, while other settings in that section are further changed depending on the weather/cloud type loaded either in quick combat mode in WOFF, or via JJJ's Mission Ed. in combo. with BB's weather/clouds mod.

In my tests, manual changes in several of the "Bumps" entries would be overwritten before a mission was loaded in quick combat mode, for example (overwritten by the MultiMod, Mission Ed., etc.).

Here for example are the nos. with some lighter clouds loaded in quick mission mode:

windSmoothPeriod_secs="5"
localWindScaleVert_pct="50"
localWindScaleHorz_pct="8"
localWindFieldPerAircraft="y"
clearTurbulenceScale_pct="100"
cloudTurbulenceScale_pct="100"
groundBumpsVerticalScale_pct="50"
groundBumpsPitchScale_pct="100"
groundBumpsRollScale_pct="300"

And here are some nos. once BB's dark clouds variant is loaded in quick mission mode:

localWindScaleVert_pct="100"
localWindScaleHorz_pct="16"
localWindFieldPerAircraft="y"
clearTurbulenceScale_pct="200"
cloudTurbulenceScale_pct="200"
groundBumpsVerticalScale_pct="50"
groundBumpsPitchScale_pct="100"
groundBumpsRollScale_pct="300"

Both settings above showed up with the following settings in the MultiMod (vertical wind low, horizontal wind moderate, turbulence full) - but different cloud/weather types loaded, as indicated above.

So, in short, setting "Bumps" entries manually via the simulation.xml file is useless since overwritten by the Java-based mods. One entry that may be modified manually and that seems to stick (unmodified by the Java mods) - is the following one:

The default value is 5 secs. Set to 2 secs. if you like more constant turbulence/vibrations as in RoF. Set to about 10 secs. if you prefer something between stock WOFF turbulence and the more smooth winds of FE2.

EDIT: latest update Apr. 27, 2021 - manual changes in the bumps settings can be implemented successfully if the tweaked simulation.xml file is then loaded via JSGME, but it appears that different weather types in QC mode and also in campaign mode further alter/modify/amplify such settings.

Cheers all,
Von S smile2

P.S. Do not manually change entries in the "Bumps" section and then set the simulation.xml file as "Read Only," thinking that this will override settings in JJJ's Java-based programs - it will only load error windows since the simulation.xml file must remain writable by WOFF as the sim. is loading its various files. Best is to set winds via the MultiMod - but tweak the "windSmoothPeriod" manually to taste via the simulation.xml file.

Last edited by VonS; 04/27/21 07:59 AM. Reason: Added info.

~ For my various FM/AI/FPS/DM Mods. for First Eagles 2, WoFF, RoF & WoTR, and tips for FlightGear, recommended is to check over my CombatAce profile (https://combatace.com/profile/86760-vons/) and to click on the "About Me" tab while there. ~