Originally Posted by Raine
Try flying for 3 Squadron of the Royal Naval Air Service starting in late October or November 1916. You will be flying over the Vosges mountains of southern France in a Sopwith Strutter. Then you will transfer to the Flanders front and fly a Pup. If you survive you will move to a Sopwith triplane and eventually a Camel.

Originally Posted by Robert_Wiggins
Raine

That covers most of the best, forgiving aircraft, in one career, not to forget the scenery in the vosges. The Camel on the other hand can be a challenge and is not so forgiving. Good suggestion!

That sounds quite reasonable. What's that region like in terms of enemy/friendly activity?

Originally Posted by mandrews

I enjoyed "finsihing" a campaign flying the Sopwith riplane (1st RNAS - circa March 1917). I survived my first enemy encounters and even got my first campaign kill. The "finished" was a mid-air collision with another Tripe during a furball (not shot down, so that's a win). Why? It wasn't too crazy with activity, and the plane could hold its own. Not sure what would have happened if I'd have survived another month (Bloody April).

Sheesh, that's rather unfortunate. So far I've stayed alive, only got 2 kills, one of an eindecker and one of a balloon. Hadn't had any collisions but I've seen an ally have one. Most unfortunate indeed.

"Those who survive a long time on the battlefield start to think they're invincible.
I bet you do, too, Buddy."