Thanks guys.
There is some doubt now over the authenticity of this particular colour scheme.
It seems that it was based on what is apparently the only known photograph of Emil Schäpe seated in a Roland fighter.
The Windsock Data file states that he is seated in a Roland D.VI but doesn't state whether it is a D.VIa or the later D.VIb version.
The photograph shows what appears to be the top of a multi-headed arrow marking on the side of the fuselage.
The late Dan-San Abbott interpreted this as the yellow arrow and this seems to have been accepted by painters and illustrators, such as Bob Pearson's profile I'm basing this model on.

The doubts centre on three things - The aircraft in the photograph is a later Roland D.VIb (not a D.VIa), the arrow marking was a lightning bolt marking (not an arrow) and the fuselage was not varnished wood but in fact painted.
I've looked again at the photograph and to me at least, the fuselage marking looks more like an arrow head that lightning bolts.
Also I believe wood grain can be seen on the fuselage planking, although it is very faint. That said this was plywood strips, which wouldn't have much wood grain as such.
As to whether this is a D.VIa or a D.VIb is difficult to tell as the main differences were the D.VIb had a different engine and radiator cowl under the nose of the aircraft, neither of which can be seen on the photograph.
One possible clue for it being a D.VIb is that the two machine guns have extended cocking handles, which from other photographs the D.VIa didn't (standard cocking handles).
Maybe one day someone will come up with photographic or documentary evidence to settle these doubts,

When I build a model I like to try where possible to apply colour schemes that are not often modeled, which is why I chose this particular scheme.
I also didn't want to cover the wood effect decals with too much paintwork.
However, given the uncertainty of this colour scheme I've decided to switch the scheme to the Roland D.VIa, Serial No. 3615/18, which had no personal or Jasta fuselage markings.

Mike

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Alienware Aurora R5
Windows 10 64 bit
Intel i7-6700K 4.2Ghz
Two GTX 1080 Foundations in SLI (8 Gig each)
32 Gig DDR4 2133Mhz
1TB SSD boot drive - 1TB SATA storage drive
5.1 Surround Sound
34" Dell Ultra Sharp U3415W (3440x 2440)
CH Pro-Pedals, Stick and Throttle
TrackIR-5 Pro