Yes, that's what I mean, to the menu. I've not done the full drop out of the game to relog. But I don't have a problem with it either. Honestly, since they introduced material traders it's all become pretty easy. Mats are everywhere, including as mission rewards. The ones you actually need, not so much. But the trader bridges that gap, albeit at a cost. Just about everytime I log on I try to do a little bounty hunting in Poison Whiskey, stopping here and there to release a couple limpets, and get dozens of mats each time. When I'm ready to engineer something I identify what I need (Inara is perfect for this) and then a stop at the trader to get whatever I am short of, by trading the mats I got bounty hunting.

High Grade Emissions signal sources are also a big help, since G5 mats have the most value at the trader. I'm all for time savers, but what you need is out there if you know where to look and how to get it. If you weave these things in to your everyday play you'll have lots of mats on board.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!