Thanks guys,

It's definitely an option Pol, I've registered some good hits on Aviatiks using it and I'm looking forward to using it against Rolands when they turn up, because I think I'll take serious heat from them at the normal angle of fire.

It was fun landing minus the wing chunk, the trick is to quickly work out what controls will allow you to fly forward (if any of course), in this case it involved a touch of stick and rudder too.

Yes Adger the landing is the worse bit as you're afraid of throttling back and stalling so I come in very low and in a straight line and only throttle back at the last moment as I'm about to touch down.

The worst is when you realise you can't get enough control to fly it and your only choice is to try and level enough to 'crash it as gently as possible' kind of what happened to Boelcke. That must have been a horrible last ride for the great man dizzy

"A great deal of an aeroplane could be holed without affecting its ability to fly. Wings and fuselage could be—and often were—pierced in 50 places, missing the occupants by inches (blissfully unaware of how close it had come until they returned to base). Then the sailmaker would carefully cover each hole with a square inch of Irish linen frayed at the edges and with a brushful of dope make our aircraft 'serviceable' again within an hour."