The first objective is more a large farmstead than a hamlet. I get my first view of it when my panzer cautiously pushes its nose through another thick hedge and halts to observe.

Steel Fury provides command and control almost entirely from the map screen (unfortunately, no hotkeys; these and 3-d world control buttons only appeared in SABOW). And SF doesn't really support splitting up your command neatly for the purpose of conducting fire and manoeuvre (aka bounding overwatch). The best you can do is either order a halt at a suitable covering position and advance your own tank a tactical bound, under their protection; or order everyone to advance, but immediately halt your own AFV, so you are covering them (as I described in more detail here: https://combatace.com/forums/topic/83356-fire-and-movement/

In this situation, I decide my panzer will cover from the hedgerow...

[Linked Image]

...while the others move up to and fight through the objective.

[Linked Image]

It's at this point that I realise that I've actually got a 4-tank platoon, not having paid much attention to my orders (given I started off just wanting to practice playing as tank commander). Unfortunately 'your tank, and everyone else under your direct command' is the only way you can split the force you're in charge of, in SF. So there's just my own panzer, covering everyone else.

[Linked Image]

As the objective is reached, there's a lot of milling about and shooting, by both panzers and grenadiers. I search for targets but none of the crew can see any.

[Linked Image]

There's something dangerous out there, however, as Tiger 132 is knocked out, leaving its unhorsed commander crouching behind it for cover.

[Linked Image]

Clearly, there's no point in me sitting any longer where I can't help. So I drive forward cautiously, keeping our on the right flank of my force.

[Linked Image]

I reach level with the hamlet/farmstead without serious incident. From there, I join in what's evidently become the mopping up of the defenders. My contribution is machine-gunning some troops in slit trenches near the 17-Pdr A/T gun knocked out earlier.

[Linked Image]

Then it all goes quiet. Time to take a look at the map and plan the next phase!

...to be continued!

Attached Files shot_2021_02_03_22_37_56_0010.jpgshot_2021_02_03_22_39_47_0012.jpgshot_2021_02_03_22_40_18_0014.jpgshot_2021_02_03_22_40_56_0015.jpgshot_2021_02_03_22_41_37_0017.jpgshot_2021_02_03_22_42_20_0018.jpgshot_2021_02_03_22_42_36_0019.jpg
Last edited by 33lima; 02/04/21 10:50 AM.

SimHQ Battle of Britain II screenshots thread
CombatAce Mission Reports
"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." (attributed to Marcus Aurelius)