Originally Posted by RSColonel_131st

What did they actually fail to get right on this title, to make it a true gem?

Good question, not sure if I can put my finger on it. It's a good game in my view and as I said earlier in the thread perhaps my expectations were unreasonable. As I am fond of saying I try to judge games by what they are, not what they aren't. But Cyberpunk crosses the line a bit, partly due to unrealized developer information, and partly due to the effect a long wait has on my imagination. I don't know. So many little ways I could see it improved. For example, how fleshed out the world is. I can't find a pick-up race anywhere. or a game of basketball. I can't go down to the pub to shoot pool or darts, or pinball. No shooting range, or skeet/trap. Can't catch a fish, or modify my vehicles. Nothing to do with my apartment or walk around my garage admiring my collection. All of this is what Cyberpunk isn't, which in a sense isn't a fair criticism. But it points at least at how little there is to do really aside from the scripted stuff. The scripted stuff by the way is very good on the whole, and for me carried Cyberpunk. GTA for example does a much better job with this world building stuff. As we've talked about, the fantastic Night City is really only a stage, where as soon as you outflank it, it's revealed to be a 2D prop, without depth.

But that's good enough. I feel I more than got my money's worth. My disappointment, if I should call it that, is rooted in what I hoped the game would be, which is on me. My math was too simple. The equation looked like this

(People who made Witcher 3) + (huge budget) x unlimited dev time = best game eva

This time it didn't quite work out that way. I keep thinking of other games I might compare it too. The one I keep coming back to is Mankind Divided. Not in a gameplay sense, but in where it falls in the hierarchy of RPGs. It's a good game by most accounts and delivers a good experience. But it wasn't the game I hoped it would be. It surely wasn't a far better Deus Ex with a bigger budget and the benefit of time and technology. It was just a good game. It didn't take perhaps the greatest RPG to date and shift the paradigm. It was just a good game. Like Cyberpunk.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!