Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman

For those here who don't see anything wrong with Cyberpunk, I strongly urge you to play through the classic titles Ultima 6 and Ultima 7. Do this. Now.

You owe it to yourselves.

If you truly want to see what consistency and depth are, you can't miss these games. I realize they are decades old, but it is pretty sad when they are still used as benchmarks of what we should strive for in a proper RPG. They are fantastic.

What about people who have zero interest in the fantasy genre but who like playing RPG's?

I've played so many RPGs over the years I can't count them all, and sadly I must admit that as much as I prefer science fiction to any other genre, there hasn't been a single scifi RPG that has come close to Ultima level quality. Mass Effect 1 was decent, Sentinel Worlds 1 was pretty good, too, but neither had the worldbuilding that helped them feel as alive.

Scifi is pretty much neglected in the Computer RPG space.

Edit: I almost forgot about Fallout. Fallout 1 was pretty good, too. Still not quite as strong, however. In the Ultima games, every, single, NPC, is unique, with their own story and dialogue. I know this isn't a realistic expectation for a city with millions of bots milling about, but they could at least try to give it depth beyond flashy graphics.

Last edited by Mr_Blastman; 01/04/21 06:06 PM.